There are various types of diseases and ill health conditions which may impact your overall body weight. Crohn's disease is one such disease where it gets difficult for the affected person to maintain a healthy body weight. However, by following certain tips and maintaining a healthy lifestyle with proper exercises, nutrients and appropriate eating habits one can help oneself in having a healthy body weight in Crohn's disease. In this article, we will talk about these helpful tips on how to maintain healthy body weight in Crohn's disease.
Overview on Crohn's disease:
Crohn's disease is one type of IBD or inflammatory bowel disease affecting people of all ages, but most common in the age group of 15 years to 35 years. It is characterized by inflammation of the digestive tract and can cause an unintentional weight loss in the affected person.
Crohn's Disease and Weight Loss:
We know that there is a loss of appetite in Crohn's disease. We also know that diarrhea is one of the most common symptoms of Crohn's disease. So, there is certainly an obvious fact that people affected with the disease would meet with weight loss. The body lacks in nutrients because of poor appetite and continuous diarrhea in Crohn's disease. In order to come out of this problem of weight loss one needs to have balanced diet, essential nutrients and follow the required steps that would increase appetite and reduce the loss of weight due to the condition.
One must reach an expert medical professional in case of serious weight loss issue in Crohn's disease and undergo the prescribed treatments to encourage weight gain in the condition.
Let us talk about some ways to maintain a healthy body weight in Crohn's disease in our following array of the article.
How to Maintain a Healthy Body Weight in Crohn's Disease?
In order to promote weight gain in Crohn's disease, it is essential for the patient to consume foods rich in fat so as to increase calorie intake. Apart from this, a balanced diet with proper carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, minerals and adequate fluids is essential to prevent self from extreme weight loss in crohn's disease.
Along with the diet, there are some other essentials which need to be followed so as to maintain a healthy weight in crohn's disease. We will discuss on them in this section.
Essential Nutrients Required to Maintain Healthy Body Weight in Crohn's Disease:
Here we will talk about the nutrition for Crohn's disease that requires promoting weight gain during the loss of weight because of the disease condition. Patients with Crohn's disease usually fail to absorb nutrients like Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, minerals like folate, Zinc, Magnesium, Iron, Calcium etc. So, it is essential to take foods rich in these nutrients.
Sometimes special nutrients may be required for the patients with Crohn's disease. For example, in case you are developing fistulas or stricture during your condition, you may be prescribed to take low fiber diet. However, do not continue the low fibre diet for a longer period of time. Switch to your balanced diet with all necessary nutrients including the fiber containing foods when you are not having fistulas or strictures so as to put on some weight in Crohn's disease.
Essential Diet and Healthy Eating Habits To Help Maintain A Healthy Body Weight In Crohn's Disease:
Now, let us talk about the foods you must eat and what you must avoid for maintaining a healthy body weight in Crohn's disease. We will also take about the eating habits you must maintain for promoting weight gain in Crohn's disease.
Foods Those Are Best For You to Help Maintain Healthy Body Weight in Crohn's Disease: Foods which work best in Crohn's disease may include bananas, Applesauce, smooth peanut butter, skinned potatoes, white bread and white rice, cheese, refined pasta, steamed fish like Salmon, cooked vegetables, cooked eggs etc.
Foods You Must Avoid to Help Maintain Healthy Body Weight in Crohn's Disease: Some foods must be avoided in Crohn's disease which may be difficult to digest. Some of the foods to avoid include the high-fiber foods, full fat dairy products like whole milk, ice cream etc, raw vegetables and fruits, foods and drinks containing caffeine, chocolate, vegetables like cabbage, beans etc, carbonated beverages, cakes cookies and other sweet dishes.
Healthy Eating Habits To Maintain A Healthy Body Weight In Crohn's Disease:
- Eat small meals or snacks in every 2-3 hours rather than three large meals in a day.
- Make sure you keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of water and other healthy fluids.
- When you do not have flares in Crohn's disease take variety of foods with all the balanced nutrients.
- Consult your dietician for other healthy eating tips in order to promote weight gain.
Exercises to be done for Maintaining Healthy Body Weight in Crohn's Disease:
Exercise not only aids you in losing weight but also help you stop your weight loss issue. We know that exercise has a great potential in improving appetite. Exercise helps you in building muscles and thus contributes to weight gain. So, you can go for the exercises in order to maintain a healthy body weight in Crohn's disease.
- You can go for the low intensity exercise like walking in Crohn's disease. However there are certain exercises you must avoid during a flare in the diseased condition.
- Cycling can be one of the beneficial aerobic exercises which can be done in Crohn's disease patients so as to improve lifestyle and keep themselves healthy. Cycling can improve the appetite and aid you in weight gain.
- You can also prefer doing swimming in order to promote a healthy living.
- Low impact dancing is one more aerobic exercise that promoted healthy lifestyle and may help in maintaining a healthy body weight in Crohn's disease.
- Yoga stretches, deep breathing and meditation can help you fight stress and depression due to weight loss in Crohn's disease. This in turn help you promote healthy living and improve body weight.
Consult your doctor and talk about the appropriate fitness routine that would work the best for you in Crohn's disease to promote weight.
Maintaining a Healthy Body Weight with Steroid Treatments in Crohn's Disease:
Steroid treatments or the Corticosteroid treatments are also done in the patients with Crohn's disease so as to promote weight gain or maintain a healthy weight in the condition. However, some patients, especially the girls and the women are afraid of taking the treatment in the fear of gaining excessive weight. Optimal treatment involves taking Crohn's drugs as prescribed by the doctor and maintain a healthy lifestyle with proper diet and exercise. It is essential for you to check with your doctor for the absolute treatment in maintaining a healthy body weight in Crohn's disease.
Other Beneficial Tips to Maintain Healthy Body Weight in Crohn's Disease:
- It is essential for you to keep a track of your body weight and plan your diet, exercise routines etc accordingly in Crohn's disease by consulting your physician to maintain a healthy body weight.
- Crohn's disease not only affects the physical health but may also put an impact on the emotional health. Be sure you have supportive friends and family members to help you boost your confidence during excessive weight loss issues in Crohn's disease.
- Weight loss in Crohn's disease may result in malnutrition or nutrition deficiency in the patients. It is essential to find them out and undergo the treatments as prescribed by the doctor.
Now that we have talked about some of the essential ways to maintain a healthy body weight in Crohn's disease, it must be kept in mind to follow the tips and keep you fit by promoting healthy weight during the condition.
Talk to your doctor for the best treatments and get rid of the weight loss issue in Crohn's disease in the most relevant way.