Treatment for Back Pain or Backache Include:
Medication Treatment for Back Pain or Backache
- Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) - Motrin, naproxen, daypro and celebrex.
- Tramadol - Ultram, Ultracet, Ryzolt and Conzip in USA, Ralivia in Canada.
- Hydrocodone (vicodene, loratab and norco).
- Oxycodone (percocete and oxycontine).
- Morphine (Morphine IR: short acting and long acting).
4. Muscle Relaxants - Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril), Soma, Skelaxin and Robaxin.
- Tricyclic antidepressants (Elavil)
- Trazodone (Desyrel)
- Duloxetine (Cymbalta)
- Milnacipran (Savella)
6. Anti-anxiety: Benzodiazepine.
- Gabapentin: also known as Neurantin.
- Pregabalin: Also known as Lyrica.
Manual Therapy Treatment for Back Pain or Backache
- Chiropractic Treatment: Spinal manipulation.
- Massage Therapy: Massage is manual massaging of superficial and deeper layers of muscles and connective tissue.
- Physical Therapy or Physiotherapy: Physiotherapy is a manual therapy of muscles and joint. The therapy involves application of heat, ice, ultrasound and electrical stimulation, as well as some muscle-release techniques to the back muscles and soft tissues.
Interventional Pain Treatment for Back Pain or Backache
- Cortisone Injection: Cortisone is injected in joint or soft tissue, which is a source of pain.
- Trigger point injection is performed when pain is extremely severe and associated with severe muscle spassm.
- Peripheral nerve block with cortisone injection.
- Epidural Injection: Caudal, inter-laminar or trans-foraminal cortisone injections are performed for back pain localized in neck, mid back or lower back. Radicular pain is treated with epidural injection.
- Sympathetic ganglion block for sympathetic pain.
- Nerve ablationis performed using following method:
- Radiofrequency nerve ablation
- Chemical neuroablation using phenol
- Spinal Cord Stimulator - Electrode placed in epidural space and generator placed in abdominal wall passes electrical stimulation passing through epidural electrode.
- Intrathecal Pain Medication: Programmable pump delivers opioid pain medication in to cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) through catheter placed in CSF.
- Botox Injection - Botox blocks the nerve stimulations to muscles and prevents muscle spasm.
Surgical Treatment for Back Pain or Backache
- Nerve Decompression- Radicular pain caused by pinch nerve is treated by Microdiscectomy, percutaneous disc removal, discectomy and laminectomy.
- Spinal Fusion– If radicular pain associated with back pain is caused by facet joint disease, then pain is treated by spinal fusion surgery or instrumentation of back. The vertebrae are splinted together with metal plates, screws or cages.
- Removal of Tumors– If cancer or tumor mass causes pain by squeezing or pinching nerve, then one of the treatments is surgical removal of tumor.
- Vertebroplasty - Body of vertebrae if fractured because of osteoporosis or trauma and causes severe pain then the symptom is treated by surgery. Surgery is insertion of cement to correct collapse vertebrae. Choices of surgical treatment are kyphoplasy or vertebraplasty.
Alternative Treatment for Back Pain or Backache
Several choices of alternative treatments are available. Most of these treatments are not scientifically evaluated. Patient who do not want to take opioids prefer to try alternative treatment. Also patient who had tried all conventional treatment and failed to achieve pain relief, prefer to try the choice of alternative treatments.
- TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation).
- Magnet Therapy.
- Nutritional Medicine - Herbs, healthy eating, avoid caffeine.
- Spiritual practice is used for chronic pain treatment.
- Good sleep.
- Mind-Body Practices: Pain may be felt less severe if individual can control body with mind.
- Energy Manipulation Therapies: Alternative therapy teaches and enhances energy manipulations, which helps to reduce pain and also modulate endorphin resulting in increased pain tolerance.
- Coping With Back Pain Made Easier With These Home Remedies
- Physical Therapy for Back Pain
- Spinal Cord Stimulator for Relieving Back Pain
- Tips to Cope With Back Pain While Sitting, Standing, Lifting, Driving
- Sleeping Postures To Prevent Back Pain & Neck Pain
- Measures To Alleviate Low Back Pain When Driving Long Distance