The menstrual cycle basically starts with the first day of your periods and ends on the first day of the next menstrual periods. Two periods in one month can be related to having two menstrual cycles in one calendar month. A menstrual cycle is normally of 28 days, but in many cases this duration may be only 21 days. In such case, second menstrual cycle begins after 21 days and you may experience having two periods in a month. You may wonder about what can cause having two periods in one month? And it can also make you think if it is normal.
The definition of normal menses may vary depending upon individual health. There are many reasons that may contribute to the cause of having two periods in one month. This may also include problem of spotting which is having minimal bleeding in between two menstrual cycles. This problem may symbolize some other problem such as:
- Uterine fibroids
- Use of contraceptives
- Sexual intercourse
- And in many cases, even ovulation.
When finding a solution for having two periods in one month, you should certainly note any other health problems, changes in menstrual patterns or medicines taken, which may be contributing to this condition. It is advisable to take medical opinion regarding any health conditions or changes in the menstrual pattern.
Is it Normal to Have Two Periods in One Month?
Is it normal to have two periods in one month? This question indeed poses a serious concern when you are having menstrual bleeding more frequently. In general, it is seen that a woman has 13 periods in one year, which means, in one of the months she must be having two periods.
But when it is frequent, causes need to be identified so that correct action can be taken at the right time.
What Can Cause Having Two Periods in One Month?
- Uterine lining may have thickened which can be a cause of this condition. Any hormonal imbalance or intake of estrogen can cause having two periods in one month.
- Fibroids or cysts, which is formation of an abnormal mass can also cause this problem. It causes pain and discomfort along with causing bleeding between the periods. Medications are there to ease these symptoms but these are generally removed from a surgery.
- Any hormonal imbalance may lead to having two periods in a month and that may include thyroid dysfunction. This condition can affect women of any age and cause menstrual irregularities. To normalize this condition, hormonal replacement therapy or HRT is used.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease, which is the infection of the reproductive organs can disturb the menstrual cycle and cause having two periods in one month.
- Change in weight is also seen as a disruptive cause for making you bleed twice in a month.
- Strenuous exercise regime as well as persistent mental stress can contribute to having two periods in one month.
- Being ill for a long time can affect your menstrual cycle. If you are having two periods in one month after a prolonged illness, it is necessary to seek medical opinion.
- STD can cause vaginal bleeding in woman may be mistaken as a menstrual period.
Some women have the menstrual cycle of 21 days, in which cases it is normal to have two periods in one month. If you are using any contraceptive pills then your menstrual cycle may get disrupted and you may be having periods twice in a month.
However, it is in the best advantage to seek medical advice and get any possible causative conditions evaluated, if you are having two periods in a month.
When should you see the doctor?
If you are having two periods in one month, it may be normal in some cases; however, in some it may mean an underlying problem. It is important to know the warning signs for which you must seek immediate medical help.
- In case your menstrual period lasts for more than 7 days
- If you have fever when using the tampons
- If you get bleeding between two periods
- If you have extremely painful periods
- If the menstrual bleeding is very heavy
- If menstrual cycle is more than 35 days or less than 21 days
- If you are not having your period for more than three months.
As every woman is different and so is the menstrual pattern, it is a pertinent question that what can cause having two periods in one month & is it normal? So be watchful about your dates and never ignore the problem, instead get an opinion from the specialist.