Although suicidal thoughts might occur with Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder, they are more likely to occur if you have bipolar I or II disorder.
What are the Treatment Options for Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder?
Symptom Management Objectives in Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder
- Managing the abnormally elated mood is the first objective in treating Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder. Due to the worsening of Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder, patient can become extremely happy and try to indulge in indiscriminate sexual as well as all kinds of activities with great enthusiasm.
- Managing the inflated self-esteem or grandiosity is the second objective in the treatment of Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder. If the problem of Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder is left untreated, the patient might display grandiose behavior to the people. Even without any experience, the person may try to do different jobs such as becoming a writer or try to attract attention by claiming to perform impractical tasks. Some of them might become so deluded that they would think of themselves as incarnation of God.
- Managing the depressed mood is the third objective in treating Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder. Low mood swing consists of feeling depressed and going through a sense of hopelessness. In addition, the patient might complain of tremendous body ache accompanied by pain. In addition, the person would get irritated at the slightest of provocation. He or she would blame others for the failures and also become increasingly frustrated with small issues.
- Managing the loss of pleasure or interest is the fourth objective in treatment. Due to the problems, the patient might find the hobby least interesting and would feel quite low. As a result he or she would be bored by the activities that were enjoyed in the past. In addition, the desire of sexual intercourse also decreases to a great extent.
- Managing the weight changes or appetite is the fifth objective of Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder treatment. The capacity to eat food might decrease or probably would increase in frustration. Similarly weight loss or weight gain is also noticed in the patients.
- Managing the hypersomnia or insomnia is the sixth objective of treating Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder. The patient would either suffer from sleep apnea or sleep a lot during the day. It could result in the symptom called middle insomnia in which the patient finds it difficult to catch sleep in the stillness of the night. Some of the patients might sleep for extended hours and some others would not sleep altogether.
The Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder can be treated only through the change in lifestyle and medications usually throughout life. Psychiatrist can play a very important role in enhancing the health of the patients. Some of the objectives of the physicians are as follows:
- Decrease the chances of bipolar I or II disorder, the disease might metamorphose into bipolar syndrome.
- Reduce the frequency and severity of the signs and symptoms, living a balanced and contended life.
- Avoid the recurrence of symptoms, Treatment should not be stopped when the condition of the patient is improving
- Treat substance abuse or alcohol problems, they can make the problem worse for the patients with Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder.
Primary treatment for Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder includes medicines as well as psychotherapy.
Medications for Treating Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder
Generally the medicines used for the treatment of Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder are similar to the medicines used for the treatment of the bipolar syndrome. They play an important role in the treating the symptoms of cyclothymia and would go a long way in eliminating the mood swings ranging from extreme happiness to depression.
Psychotherapy or Talk Therapy for Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder
It is regarded as talk therapy and forms an integral part of the treatment strategy of Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder. Psychiatrist can conduct the process in group or in the presence of the family members. Some of the modes of therapies are as follows:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy or CBT for Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder. Psychiatrist works closely with the patient and uses cognitive technique to identify the negative beliefs. After the diagnosis, the therapist plays an important role in instilling positive frame of mind. The factors that aggravate the symptoms can be controlled. In addition the specialist also provides certain strategies that would help to treat the patents by providing relief from stress.
- Interpersonal and social rhythm therapy (IPSRT) for Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder. Regular activities such as having lunch, dinner and sleep times are regulated in an impeccable manner. People who are suffering from mood swings could witness an improvement in health if they lead a balanced lifestyle consisting of exercise as well as regular sleep.
- Other therapies for Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder. If there are other therapies available for the patients, you can consult the doctor to get more information.
What is the Recovery Period/Healing Time for Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder?
Total time duration of the recovery or healing time for Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder depends on the intensity of the symptoms however the exact time could only be determined by the physicians. It is important to talk to the doctor on the recurrence of the symptoms.
What is the Prognosis for Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder?
With regular intake of medicines and with talk therapy the prognosis for Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder is good. Although figures are not available as to how many patients can get bipolar disease but 50 percent of the individuals might see their symptoms worsen over a period of time. Some others might witness that by regular treatment the symptoms gradually disappear over a period of time.
How to Prevent Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder?
There is no certain way to prevent Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder. Initial onset of symptoms should be immediately followed by the treatment as it would help to provide relief to the patient. Long term solution involves the continuation of the treatment to ensure that the instances of depression or hypomania do not occur.
What are the Suggested Lifestyle Changes for Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder?
Apart from professional advice, you can follow certain lifestyle changes for Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder that would help to improve health.
- Medicines should be consumed on a regular basis. Do not skip medicine, even if the symptoms have improved because they can return back after sometime.
- Patients should make sure to observe the symptoms of Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder. It is important to analyze the factors that make them worse. In case of mood swings, it is important to undertake the treatment at the initial onset because it would help to curb the spread of the disease.
- It is vital to leave the drinking habit and consuming designer drugs and it can be a great lifestyle change for Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder. They can cause lots of mood swings. If you cannot leave the addiction, consult the physician.
- Prior to taking medications, it is important to contact the doctor. If you are consuming other medicines in the past, it is vital to talk to the specialists because they might cause interference and may not be effective.
- It is vital to examine the pattern of the mood swings and how they are affecting the daily life and it can become as a lifestyle change. The data would go a long way in helping the physician to devise the treatment methods for Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder in an easy and hassle free manner.
- A highly suggested lifestyle change for Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder is that patients should exercise on a regular basis and need to be physically active. By working in the Gym, the brain secrets chemicals which would help the patient to feel amazing and wonderful. Prior to doing exercises, it is important to check with the doctor.
- Patients should sleep a lot. It will help the individual to relax and control the mood swings in Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder. In case of any trouble sleeping, one should talk to the mental psychiatrist.
How to Cope With Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder?
Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder can be a tough disease to cope with. When people are feeling better, they would stop taking medicines. It is a huge mistake. Some of the tips to manage disease are as follows:
- It is important to get information about Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder. Information pertaining to the complications would help you to follow the treatment in an effective manner. You should share the same information with the family members.
- Contacting the support group would go a long way in facing the challenges of life and coping because you can share experiences with people suffering from Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder.
- A person should concentrate on the objectives. Managing the symptoms would require more time. Therefore motivation is the key for the individuals coping with Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder.
- Indulge in some recreational activities or adopt a hobby to keep yourself busy. It will help you to eliminate the mood swings caused by Cyclothymia or Cyclothymic Disorder and it is a great coping method.
- Stress management strategies would go a long way in providing relief. For instance, you can try yoga to feel better.