What to do for Torn Rib Cartilage Causing Chest Pain?

I have been diagnosed with a torn cartilage in my chest can I still run or would it effect me
  • Posted By:
  • 'Rodolfo Rios' on
  • 04/20/2015
  • 1724
  • 1 Answer

Answered By:

  • Pramod Kerkar, MD, FFARCSI, DA
  • Pramod Kerkar, MD, FFARCSI, DA

The cartilage attached to rib cage lies in front of chest wall. The torn cartilage in chest wall causes severe anterior (front) chest wall pain. The torn or fracture cartilage in few cases dislocates and moves with activities. Frequent movement inwards towards lungs can damage lung tissue. You should see an Orthopedic or Chest Specialist. Get MRI or CT Scan study done and make sure torn cartilage is not separated or floating. If torn cartilage is maintaining normal anatomical position of cartilage and rib cage while pain is tolerable you could continue social running as an exercise. If you develop a symptoms of increase pain or frequent coughing you should see physician and evaluate the position of torn cartilage with radiological studies.

Also Read:

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

We'll help you live each day to the healthiest