Toes tend to break when there is excessive pressure from the upper portion of the body.
Symptoms of Broken Toe or Fractured Toe
- Instant pain in the foot as a result of a traumatic condition.
- If injury is associated with soft tissues, then there may be bruising.
- In cases of fracture of the toe, the toe appears dislocated.
- In cases of a hairline fracture of the toe, then the individual may not have any symptoms of a fracture and it gets confirmed only when x-rays are taken.
- In case of direct trauma, phalangeal fracture takes place. This trauma may be caused by some heavy object dropping on the foot etc.
Treatment of Broken Toe
- As an immediate measure to deal with broken toe or fractured toe, the first thing that needs to be done is to relieve stress from the foot.
- Consultation with a physician for confirmatory diagnosis or broken toe or fractured toe.
- Radiological studies to confirm the fracture of toes.
- If the toe fracture is very small and the fracture is of the smaller toe, then no treatment is necessary as it does not cause any impairment.
- For broken big toe or big toe fractures, the patient is given protective shoe wear for ambulation. Custom made walking boots are also available to help facilitate ambulation. In majority of cases, the physician buddy straps the toe to the adjoining toe to immobilize the toe.
- The individual should avoid weight bearing for at least a month if the person has a complex fracture of the big toe.
Prognosis and Recovery Time following Broken Toe or Fractured Toe
- The prognosis is always good with broken toe or toe fracture since fracture heals with conservative or surgical treatment.
- Recovery time for broken toe or toe fracture depends on type of fracture.
- Hairline and non-displaced toe fracture heals with no complications or deformity.
- Toe movements are restricted after conservative or surgical treatment using braces or cast.
- Displaced or comminuted toe fracture often heals with deformity.
- Recovery time to achieve near normal function is 4 to 6 weeks.
- Physical therapy may not be necessary once broken toe or toe fracture is healed.