- Gout is medical condition which is caused by accumulation of uric acid within the body.
- Individuals with gout either produce excess uric acid or are unable to excrete the produced uric acid.
- Uric acid is a waste product resulting from break down of food.
- Men aged between 40 and 60 and who have a family history of gout are more likely to suffer with this condition.
Causes and Risk Factors of Gout
- Hereditary factor.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages, especially beer.
- Excessive consumption of oily fish, red meats, internal organs and yeast.
- Trauma to the joint.
- Lack of proper meals.
Symptoms of Gout
- Acute joint pain.
- Swelling in the joint.
- The skin may be red in color and shiny in appearance.
- Uric acid crystals can accumulate in the skin. These are called as tophi.
Diagnosis of Gout
- Joint fluid aspiration
- Blood tests
- Radiographic studies such as x-rays
Treatment of Gout
- Ice therapy can be applied to relieve swelling and pain.
- NSAID’s such as ibuprofen and naproxen help in decreasing pain, swelling and inflammation.
- If the pain is severe then the physician may prescribe colchicines. This medicine helps in stabilizing the increased uric acid levels.
- If the pain is still not relieved, then corticosteroids may be given either orally or can be injected into the joint.
- Surgery is required only if there has been significant damage to the joint.
Massage Therapy for Gout
Gout frequently affects the big toe in the foot. Massage therapy focused at the big toe nail helps in decreasing pain and swelling.
Some Massage Tips For Toe Massage Are
- The area located between the bottom base of the toe and the ball of the foot should be massaged. This helps in directly stimulating the blood circulation in the affected region.
- Massage the point present midway between the bottom of the little finger and the heel pad. This works as an acupressure point and relieves pain and swelling by encouraging uric acid excretion
Prevention of Gout
- Alcohol especially beer and port should be strictly avoided.
- Drink plenty of water.
- In case the patient is overweight, then losing the excess weight helps in bringing down the acid levels