Home Remedies for Diarrhea in Adults & Children
Home Remedies for Adults:
- Do not dehydrate yourself; consume enough water every day because it helps you to get rid of diarrhea.
- Stay away from all milk products like curd, butter, cheese etc. Consume light food like rice, banana, and apples.
- Do not take any antibiotics because they only help to get relief from stomach ache but prolong infection in the body.
- Try having mashed potatoes or tapioca because it contains good amount of fiber which absorbs excess water and normalizes diarrhea.
- Rice water for diarrhea: Left over water after boiling rice helps to cover up the water loss from the body.
- Energy drinks like Gatorade also helps you cope well with diarrhea.
- Make sure that you wash your hands always before you start eating.
- Don't consume OTC drugs because they cause constipation.
Home Remedies for Children:
- Children should be restricted from having green vegetables, or any roughage fruits.
- Recommended food for children suffering from this problem are potatoes, carrots, mushy peas, well cooked chicken or meat, boiled eggs, peeled apples and plum.
- They should be given non fiber food so that the movement in the intestine slows down and helps the stool formation to pass by easily.
- When you see that the stool is being formed easily without any problem then gradually you can add bananas, pear, vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli to the diet but always make sure to wash the fruits and vegetables
- Make sure the child drinks enough water every day to keep them well hydrated.
- Make them exercise, get them involved in activities like walking, swimming because exercise helps the body to absorb and digest food easily.
- For easy stool formation pomegranate juice is a good source. Feed your child daily with a cup of pomegranate juice.
- Massage the child's abdomen gently with almond oil for three to five minutes.
- If diarrhea stays for more than few days to weeks after taking all the above mentioned precautions then it's a must to take your child to a doctor so that he can investigate the case thoroughly.
Diarrhea Prevention Tips
- While travelling make sure you drink only bottled water which should be sealed properly. Do not drink tap water or else you will be in trouble.
- The best way to purify water is to add a chlorine tablet to it.
- Avoid having drinks with ice because may be they are not made of pure water.
- Use boiled or bottled water to brush your teeth.
- Swimming in pools is not a problem because the water consists chlorine, but swimming in lakes can turn out to be dangerous.
- Don't eat left over, street food or reheated food.