What Is Rocking or Spinal Roll Exercise?
The Rocking or Spinal roll exercise is mainly a spine stretching exercise that makes your spine very flexible and painless. This simple exercise can relieve your spinal pain, eliminate your stress and make you feel energetic.
What Are The Steps To Do Spinal Roll or Rocking Exercise?
To practice The Spinal Roll or Rocking Exercise with correct technique, you must have a yoga mat.
- First lie down on the floor in Shavasana on the yoga mat and close your eyes and relax while remaining aware of your breathing pattern.
- Bend both the knees and raise little bit above the floor and clasp your hands around the shin just below the knees while you interlock with fingers.
- Do not to put pressure on the spinal cord while practicing The Spinal Roll or Rocking Exercise.
- This is the beginning position to perform The Rocking Exercise.
- You have to make sure that your spine is rolled in gentle manner without hurting it.
Now, watch the above video carefully in order to do the spinal roll or rocking exercises.
After all the exercises, one should get back in Shavasana for 1 to 2 minutes and then relax slowly.
Practice each Spinal Roll or Rocking Exercise 3 to 4 times carefully for the best results.
Breathing Pattern While Practicing the Spinal Roll or Rocking Exercise:
- Inhale and exhale deeply while lying down supine on the ground in Shavasana initially.
- Inhale deeply while folding your knees and grasp your shins with hands.
- Exhale while raising your head above the floor.
- Exhale while rolling forwards.
- Inhale while rolling backward.
- Exhale deeply after releasing the spinal roll pose and come back to Shavasana.
What Are The Benefits of the Spinal Roll or Rocking Exercise?
The Spinal Roll or Rocking Exercise helps in removing the drowsiness and stiffness felt in the morning after wake up.
The Spinal Roll or Rocking Exercise gives a good massage to your vertebrae and spine. And you will feel an energizing sensation in your vertebrae and spine while practicing it.
- It makes your spine very supple and also helps in improving your body posture.
- The Spinal Roll Exercise is beneficial in treating insomnia and lets you to have a sound sleep.
- The Rolling Exercise also is beneficial in alleviating stress and curing mild depression.
- It also helps in improving the core strength and overall stamina of the body.
- It improves your overall health significantly.
What Are The Spinal Roll or Rocking Exercise Variations?
Three variations of The Spinal Roll or Rocking Exercise and are mentioned as follows:
Spinal Roll or Rocking Exercise - Variation 1
In this exercise variation 1, the body is rolled on to the sides instead of rolling the body forward and backward.
Spinal Roll or Rocking Exercise - Variation 2
In this exercise variation 2, the body is rolled to the sides. The torso of the body is rolled to one side and the lower half of the body is rolled in other direction. The legs in the Spinal Roll variation 2 are bent when practicing the asana.
Spinal Roll or Rocking Exercise - Variation 3
In this exercise variation 3, the body is raised into a squatting position once it is rolled back forward. This will further strengthen the muscles of the body, especially in the abdominal region, thighs and hips.