11 Skin and Hair Health Benefits of Sweet Orange Essential Oil
Sweet orange essential oil is popularly used for mood elevation in aromatherapy. However, it has many other benefits too especially for skin health. Let us look at 11 skin and hair health benefits of sweet orange essential oil.
The scientific name is citrus sinensis and it is also known as orange oil. Sweet orange essential oil is extracted by compressing the orange rinds mechanically. The oil is citric and has a range of therapeutic uses. When it is used on the skin and the hair, there is a range of beauty benefits that can be experienced.
11 Skin & Hair Health Benefits of Sweet Orange Essential Oil
The fruit has a tangy and sweet taste and this flavour is also found in its essential oil. Sweet orange essential oil is very useful and offers a variety of beauty benefits. 11 Skin and Hair Health Benefits of Sweet Orange Essential Oil Include:
- Oil Control Action - Sweet orange essential oil is used in controlling excess oil secretion. This is one of the 11 skin and hair health benefits of sweet orange essential oil. It works well when applied to the face and the hair. 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel is mixed with 4 drops of the essential oil and filled with pure water. The bottle is then shaken to mix everything well. It is then sprayed on the face and followed by applying moisturizer to get an oil control action over the face.
- Skin Lightening - One of the beauty benefits of sweet orange essential oil is to brighten the skin. The skin tends to get a light color by applying the essential oil from sweet orange. Just dilute the oil before applying it on your skin. This can be done using argan oil that will help to lighten the skin. You can use a double portion of essential oil to it.
- Reduction of Blemishes, Spots and Scars - It helps to fade the blemishes because of its skin brightening effects. This is one of the 11 wonderful beauty benefits of sweet orange essential oil and it also helps to deal with acne scars and dark spots. In order to make the treatment, take about two teaspoons of honey in a small container and mix it well with sweet orange essential oil of the same quantity. Apply the mixed content on your face. Do not apply it to sensitive areas like lips and eyes. Wash it off after 5 minutes with water and pat it dry with a towel.
Anti-Aging Effects - Antioxidants that can fight the free radicals are present in the sweet orange essential oil. These free radicals are responsible for accelerated premature aging. By improving collagen production, it reduces the wrinkles and keeps the skin supple and clean.
- Acne Reduction - Sweet orange essential oil is strongly antibacterial, which when combined with its anti-inflammatory property, works wonders. Together, they help in fighting acne naturally, which is one of the 11 skin and hair health benefits of sweet orange essential oil. Add equal quantity of sweet orange essential oil to aloe vera gel. Apply it on your face overnight if you are affected by severe acne. The toning ability in the sweet orange will help to cure acne.
- Lip Balm – One of the amazing and wonderful beauty benefits of sweet orange essential oil is that it can be used as a lip balm. For this, the oil can be mixed with a base used in lip balms. There are recipes available online for the same.
- Diminishing Large Pores - Sweet orange essential oil has astringent properties, due to which it offers many beauty benefits including reducing the large pores. They not only tighten the skin but also tone it. Orange oil based toners are the best in achieving smaller pores.
- Natural Perfume - The citrus scent of the sweet orange essential oil is a major reason why people like it. One of the 11 skin and hair health benefits of sweet orange essential oil that is offers a natural, refreshing fragrance of fresh oranges. 10 to 12 ml of jojoba oil can be mixed with equal quantity of the essential oil and stirred well; toothpicks are commonly used for stirring. It is then injected into a roller bottle. During use, it is only rolled on to the wrists, hair ends, collar bones, clothes and other areas.
Shiny Hair - It can be used to make the hair shiny and rich looking, by removing the excess oil from the hair. One of the wonderful beauty benefits of sweet orange essential oil is that it leaves the hair looking silky and feeling soft. 7 drop of the oil is mixed with the conditioner, which has a capacity of 8 oz and applied to the hair. Another measure that can be used is 3 to 4 drops of sweet orange essential oil for one tbsp of the conditioner.
- Brighter Nails – If your nails have a dull yellow color, you can apply this essential oil to make it brighter. This is one of the health benefits of sweet orange essential oil. A mixture is made by combining 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of white vinegar with 4 drops of the essential oil and some tea sale. Soak your fingernails into the solution for about 5-7 minutes and then properly scrub the nails. This can be done once a week.
- Brighter Teeth - One of the wonderful beauty benefits of sweet orange essential oil is that it can help to brighten the teeth. The essential oil is added to the toothbrush with the toothpaste and used to brush the teeth once a week for best results.
Tips and Precautions to be Under-taken while using Sweet Orange Essential Oil
- The oil should not be ingested. Make sure that the oil does not enter the eyes, ears and mucous membranes.
- Children and pets should be kept away from the oil.
- It is not advisable to use it during pregnancy and in case there are any severe health problems. It is best to check with a doctor before using it.
- The shelf life of the oil is short and it is advised to refrigerate it.
The oil is toxic upon interaction with sunlight. It should not be applied before stepping into the sunlight as it can cause negative reactions due to exposure to sunlight. Care should be taken so that when you apply it to the skin, you should not expose yourself to direct sunlight.
Now that you are aware of the 11 skin and hair health benefits of sweet orange essential oil, you can use it appropriately.
- A Guide to Basics of Essential Oils: Its Preparation, Use, Benefits, Precautions
- Essential Oil Recipes For Your Health
- 8 Best Essential Oils For Your Health
- 5 Essential Oils To Relieve Itching
- The Side Effects of Eucalyptus & Lavender Essential Oils
- Safety Guide for Using Essential Oils on Babies
- How Do Essential Oils Provide Relief from Allergies?|Different Essential Oils to Treat Allergies