There occurs a condition in the tongue when there is persistent pain, redness, visible bumps, raised areas in the tongue, which may not be harmful but causes discomfort to you while using the tongue. This is a condition known as Sore Tongue. Though most of the times sore tongue is harmless, if there is no pain and still there are visible bumps or the tongue sores, it may indicate a sign of oral cancer. Have you ever suffered from the sore tongue or painful tongue which might keep you restricted from using your tongue because of considerable amount of pain? If yes then you must be very much looking for the appropriate treatments for sore tongue. This article will inform you about some of the best natural home remedies for sore tongue along with the most important symptoms and causes.
Symptoms of Sore Tongue:
Below are some of the major symptoms of Sore Tongue.
- Most common symptoms of sore tongue include the appearance of small bumps, blister or redness and raised areas in the tongue.
- Sore tongue caused due to cold or the cold tongue sores may show symptoms of pain, along with the occurrence of small blisters or sores in the tongue, lips and the mouth.
- A tingle pain begins a day or two days before the occurrence of the cold sores in the tongue or the mouth.
- Small bumps may occur in the sides of the tongue or on the floor of the tongue which may not be painful in case you have sore tongue of oral cancer.
- Symptoms of canker tongue sores include serious pain and occurrences of the sores in under your tongue, cheeks and lips etc.
Causes of Sore Tongue:
Let us take a look on some of the most common causes of Sore Tongue in this section below.
Most Common Causes of Sore Tongue:
Oral Thrush as a Cause for Sore Tongue:
A mouth infection caused by a fungus causing a coated or white tongue and soreness in areas of the tongue is known as oral thrush. Poor oral hygiene, intake of certain antibiotics, wearing dentures which do not fit properly, diabetes, etc are some conditions which may cause Oral thrush and lead to sore tongue. Even weak immune system may cause oral thrush in persons.
Apthus Mouth Ulcers:
Painful sores occurring anywhere within the mouth and most commonly affecting the underside of the tongue are the Aphthous mouth ulcers which may be caused by any damage to the mouth like, when you accidentally bite your tongue or eat anything hard or sharp.
Even some tongue ulcers or the conditions of sore tongue or painful tongue have been linked to anxiety, stress, hormonal changes, certain foods etc. Usually soreness and other symptoms of mouth ulcers recover in one or two weeks.
Geographic Tongue Conditions:
There is a condition in the tongue known as Geographic tongue which commonly causes irregular red patches that are surrounded by white lines developing on the tongue and giving it a map-like appearance. These red patches may be painful and may feel sore or sensitive to certain foods. The patches may disappear in some days, weeks or months but again may reappear in some other area of the tongue. Geographic tongue is also known as Benign Migratory Glossitis.
Less Common Causes of Sore Tongue:
- Viral infections which cause mouth or hand diseases, also cause cold sores in the tongue. So, sore tongue can also be present because of the viral infection
- Vitamin deficiency and anemia or iron deficiency also causes sore tongue.
- Burning mouth syndrome is one more condition which may lead to sore tongue
- Lichen planus is one more less common cause of sore tongue
- Glossopharyngeal neuralgia is another condition where sore tongue can be experienced
- Behcet’s disease is another less common cause of sore tongue.
- Median Rhombiod Glossitis is one more, less common cause for sore tongue.
- Pemphigus vulgaris can also cause sore tongue in the patient
- Tongue cancer is a condition where the patient may suffer from tongue sores or sore tongue
- Certain Medications can cause sore tongue.
Treatments for Sore Tongue:
Usually there are not much known treatments for Sore tongue. However, pain killers can prevent the excessive pain caused due to the tongue sores. The sore tongue caused due to the oral thrush can be treated by taking anti-fungal medicines which come in gels and liquid to be directly applied in the mouth or the affected portion of the tongue. These anti fungal medicines are also available in the form of capsules and tablets, which can be taken as prescribed by the doctor.
Natural home remedies for Sore tongue are much known to be reducing or treating the pain, soreness and other symptoms of Sore tongue. Below we shall take a look on some of the most essential natural home remedies for Sore tongue.
Natural Home Remedies for Sore Tongue:
Here below we will know about some of the most effective natural home remedies for sore tongue.
- Aloe Vera as Herbal Home Remedy for Sore Tongue: Because of the anti-inflammatory properties, Aloe vera is used as a herbal home remedy for sore tongue to reduce pain and inflammation. All you can do is extract the gel from an Aloe vera leaf and apply it directly over the affected area in the tongue. You can also rinse your mouth few times with the aloe vera juice for reducing the inflammation.
- Hydrogen Peroxide as a Natural Remedy for Sore Tongue: Using 3% of hydrogen peroxide can help you treat sore tongues because of the anti bacterial properties present in it. This is in fact a great remedy for sore tongue and prevents infections. You can mix 3% of hydrogen peroxide in a glass of water and apply it over your tongue and leave for few minutes before rinsing your mouth.
- Treating Sore Tongue with Salt: Sore tongue can be treated with salt as it works as a natural antiseptic for reducing pain and inflammation. A little amount of salt can directly be applied to the affected area in the mouth or the tongue or one tbsp of salt added in a glass of lukewarm water can be used to rinse the mouth for relieving from the painful sore in the tongue.
- Licorice as a Natural Home Remedy for Sore Tongue: Licorice is known to have amazing medicinal and healing properties. The licorice root can be used to treat sore tongue at home. You need to make a paste out of licorice root and water and apply it in the affected area of the tongue. After applying the paste leave it for few minutes and then rinse your mouth with warm water. This must be done 3-4 times a day.
- The Natural Remedy of Lavender Essential Oil for Sore Tongue: Lavender oil is used to heal sore tongue by reducing pain and inflammation of the tongue sores. You need to use the oil with warm water to rinse your mouth.
- Baking Soda as a Natural Home Remedy for Sore Tongue: Baking soda, due to its anti inflammatory property can be used as a natural home remedy for sore tongue. You need to make a paste by adding ½ tablespoon of baking soda to a glass of water and apply it in the affected portion of the tongue or the mouth.
- Treating Sore Tongue Naturally with Honey: Honey is a wonderful home remedy for sore tongue. You can apply honey to the affected area in the mouth for better healing of the sores. Honey can also be added to lukewarm water for rinsing the mouth twice or thrice a day.
- Vitamins and Amino Acids as Natural Home Remedy for Sore Tongue: Vitamins are essential in preventing sore tongue, especially the canker sores of the tongue. Vitamin B12 is greatly known to be crucial enough in healing the condition of sore tongue. Taking regular vitamin supplements and diets rich in vitamins can be effective.
- Natural Home Remedy for Sore Tongue Using Topical Creams: There are some topical creams which prove beneficial in treating sore tongue, especially those caused due to the cold sores in the tongue. Acyclovir is one of the most known topical creams for cold sores.
Apart from all the above remedies for sore tongue, it is essential to keep a note on some other things. It is known from studies that stress can cause sore tongue due to canker sores. It is good to be relaxed, do yoga and breathing exercises for keeping away from stress and thus prevent the sore tongue condition. It is also essential to restrict the spicy food or the foods and the drinks that can grow the symptoms of sore tongue. Trauma to the tongue can also cause sore or painful tongue. So make sure you are preventing your tongue from being injured, especially while eating or chewing.
Kindly consult an expert professional if you do not experience a reduced symptom in sore tongue in one or two weeks.
- Tongue Problems: Types, Causes, Treatment, Diagnosis
- What Causes You to Lose Your Sense of Taste?
- Swollen Tongue: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Home Remedies