Excess Salivation While Talking:
There are many people who complain about having excess production of saliva, especially while talking. They feel saliva is filling their mouth and they are spitting it every couple of minutes. Sometimes they also feel mouth is full of saliva while they wake up in the morning. They report that their saliva occurs more during the morning hours, especially just after waking up.
Such problems of excess salivation decreases during summer time though; but in winter months it can persist for the whole day and one might feel it very disappointing and embarrassing. However, excess salivation while talking in most cases are common occurrence and hardly ever serious. Sialorrhea or Ptyalism is the medical term used for excess salivation in adults or children. Though most people take excess salivation as a condition, it is more like a symptom of an underlying disease.
There are several reasons why one individual may suffer from excess salivation while talking which we will be studying in our following arrays of the article. Mostly women during their pregnancy meet with this condition of excess salivation. It is always necessary for you to go for a medical check-up in case you suffer from such a condition and know about the underlying causes of your excess salivation.
What Causes Excess Salivation While Talking?
There are several causes for excess salivation while talking; however we can study them under two main causes which are mentioned below.
Increased Production of Saliva in the Mouth While Talking:
There are certain health conditions which can contribute to the increased production of saliva in the mouth while talking.
- Acidity or GERD. It is one of the most common causes of excess salivation, especially if the problem worsens in the morning. One might feel sour throat and sour mouth and sour or bitter watery mouth with this problem.
- Pregnancy. During pregnancy, hormones keep on fluctuating which can cause excess salivation
- Excessive Intake of Carbohydrate, Starch and Sweets: One more cause of excess salivation while talking is excessive intake of carbohydrates, starch and sweets.
- Medications. Certain medications like Clozapine, Pilocarpine, Ketamine, Potassium Chlorate, Rabeprazol, Risperidone etc have side effects of causing an increased production of saliva.
- Diseases. Specific diseases like mouth infections, mouth ulcers, pancreatitis, liver disorders, Serotonin syndrome, Rabies etc can also result in excess salivation while talking
- Metallic and Chemical toxins. Exposure to copper, mercury, arsenic and insecticides can also cause excessive salivation.
Decreased Clearance of Saliva from the Mouth:
There are some reasons or some health conditions which may cause decreased clearance of saliva from mouth and thus may contribute to excess salivation while talking. Below are some of the causes for decreased clearance of saliva from the mouth.
- Tonsillitis is the most common cause for decreased clearance of saliva from the mouth
- Epiglottitis or inflammation of epiglottis is a cause for decreased clearance of saliva from the mouth
- Mumps is one more cause for excess salivation while talking because of a decreased clearance of saliva from the mouth
- Abscesses in the oral cavity can also cause decreased clearance of saliva from the mouth and this lead to excess salivation while talking.
- Some other causes may be rare neurological disorders like Parkinson’s disease, Paralysis, myasthenia gravis etc.
How to Reduce Excess Salivation While Talking?
Every problem has a solution. Here we will talk about some of the ways by which one can reduce excess salivation while talking.
The treatment of excess salivation will mostly depend on the factors that cause the problem. Once the underlying factors are known, it becomes easier for you to get rid of the problem of excess salivation while talking.
It must be known that treatment for excess salivation while talking must begin with a complete dental checkup so as to know if there is any inflammation or infection in the mouth and accordingly it should be treated.
Home Remedies to Reduce Excess Salivation While Talking:
Here we will take a look on some of the natural home remedies to reduce excess salivation while talking.
Cloves can be an effective home remedy to get rid of the problem of excess salivation while talking. It is known that chewing 2 or 3 cloves three to five times in a day can reduce excess salivation while talking. Though its exact mechanism is still not understood, its action might be on nerves, brain and salivary glands all together. Apart from this, cloves, because of its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties; has as a curative effect for oral infections and diseases. It aids in maintaining good oral hygiene and also reduces oral diseases. Clove also produces numbness in the mouth and associated nerves, which might reduce hypersensitivity of salivary glands for producing more mucus.
Indian Gooseberry or Amla Powder:
Indian Gooseberry or Amla, is also known to be very much beneficial home remedy to reduce excess salivation while talking. It is also beneficial in reducing acidity of the stomach. It also stops sour water and sour taste in the mouth.
In case you have excess salivation while talking, you should use Amla powder with warm water immediately after having your meal. This is very much effective in reducing excess salivation while talking.
One more great home remedy for excessive salivation while talking is Cinnamon tea. It works in an identical way as clove works in reducing excess salivation in the mouth.
You would require ¼ tsp crushed or powdered Cinnamon, 1 cup of water and 2 tsp honey for preparing the tea.
- Take 2-3 sticks of cinnamon and crush them or make powder out of them
- Take a cup of water in a tea pan and then add the cinnamon powder to it
- Boil the water with cinnamon and then turn off the burner
- Now, leave it for about 20 minutes so that it becomes warm.
- Then, strain the tea and add 2 tsp honey for taste and also nutritious benefits.
- This Cinnamon Tea can help you reduce excess salivation while talking to a greater extent.
Black Peppers, Ginger and Long Pepper Mixture:
Black peppers, ginger and long pepper mixture can also be used as a home remedy to reduce excess salivation while talking.
You would require 100 mg of black pepper, 100 mg of dried powdered ginger, 100 mg of long pepper, honey 1 tsp.
- To prepare this, you can first mix black peppers, ginger and long pepper in equal ratio and store in a safe place; which should be moisture free. You can store it in a glass container. You can also add this mixture in yogurt and vegetables.
- Then, add two or three pinches of this combination in pure honey and mix it well.
- You should take this remedy two times a day for getting rid of excess saliva.
A scopolamine patch can inhibit the chemical messenger which aids in stimulating salivation. These medications aid you in dealing with the excess salivation problem while talking.
Acupuncture to Reduce Excess Salivation While Talking:
One of the alternative treatments for excess salivation while talking can be acupuncture, as some people prefer this type of treatment for their problems.
Surgery and Radiation Therapy to Reduce Excess Salivation while talking:
Surgery or radiation therapies are the medical treatments considered for those cases where the home remedies or alternative treatments do not work in controlling excess salivation while talking.
Though mild cases of excess salivation while talking can be treated with some effective home remedies; the more severe cases of excess salivation requires an expert medical professional advice and prescribed medical treatments after ideally determining the underlying cause.
A complete dental check up will help you find the underlying cause for excess salivation while talking and accordingly you can go for the most effective treatments.