A sore swollen throat is one of the common problems that can occur in individuals several times a year and for various reasons. One of the most common reasons to have a sore throat is due to a viral infection. Such forms of sore swollen throats persist for a couple of days and slowly get cured. However, there is a second reason due to which a person could get affected by a swollen throat – this could be due to certain forms of allergies.(1)
In order to treat the condition in a proper manner and provide the right treatment, the exact reason for the swollen throat must be found out.
This is how the most effective management could be provided to the problem.
What is Swollen Throat Allergy?
Swollen throat is an allergic reaction to an external allergy-causing agent that has triggered an inflammation in the throat area. There could be several reasons that could lead to an allergy in the region of the throat. Some of the common allergy-causing agents are:
- Cigarette smoke.
Once it is diagnosed that the condition of Swollen throat has been triggered off by an agent of allergy, and then it becomes really important that the correct treatment and preventive methods are applied so that the situation can be managed in an effective manner.
How To Identify If The Swollen Throat Is Due To Flu Or Allergies?
In the case of flu, we see that sore and swollen throats are often accompanied by fever, body ache and serious fatigue. All this is a sign that the sore swollen throat has been triggered off by an infection. However, in case, there is no fever or body ache and yet there is an itchy sensation in the throat and the mouth, with red watering eyes, and a huge feeling of lethargy, it could be an indication of a swollen throat allergy. The right trigger factor must be diagnosed so that the right form of treatment can be provided to the person.(2)
Treatment for Swollen Throat Allergy
The procedure and the exact extent of the allergy treatment will depend on the seriousness of the allergy. People who have milder symptoms could be able to treat themselves with the help of some of the common and simple over the counter drugs like decongestants, antihistamines, and nasal drops. In case the symptoms are severe, then visiting a doctor is mandatory who will be able to prescribe the right type of drugs so that the symptoms can be managed properly. In a number of cases, it has been seen that the doctor did prescribe immunotherapy such as allergy shots.(3)
In recent times, immunotherapy has become one of the most celebrated techniques of treating swollen throat allergies. This form of treatment includes a series of treatment processes where the doctor slowly exposes the patient to an increasing amount of allergens. This is a simple way through which the sensitivity of the patient to the allergen is reduced with time which finally helps the patient to become more resistant to the allergens with time.(3)
There are several other alternative therapies and techniques of allergy treatment that is used in the context of the swollen throat allergy. Some of them are
Home Remedies for Swollen Throat Allergy
In addition to the basic treatment procedures that are generally prescribed by doctors, certain simple home remedies can also be tried to help relieve swollen throat allergy:
- In order to provide respite to an itchy and scarred throat, you can try sucking on ice chips or sip frozen fruit juices.
- Hot chamomile(4, 5), peppermint(6) or ginger root(7) tea with a dash of honey can also help to soothe your throat irritation.
- To soothe your throat, you can also gargle with lukewarm salt water many times a day.
- Intake of marshmallow root infusion throughout the day can also help in relieving the sore throat and soothe dry cough(8, 9)
- Apple cider vinegar has been used for since ancient times to treat cough and sore throats(10) Mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of honey in a cup of warm water and take sips to relieve sore throats.
Prevention of Swollen Throat Allergy
Although complete avoiding of the allergy-causing allergens is never a practical solution and they can never lead to complete evasion of the problem, there are a few steps and measures that can well be followed and given a try.
It has been seen that people who have a tendency of swollen throat allergy can have this condition many times throughout the year. However, the season of the pollens is a time when the person will be more likely to develop the symptoms. This is why you must stay indoors as much as possible during the pollen season.
- If you have to go out in the pollen season, wash your hands and feet and face and also go for a change of clothes as soon as you come back home.
- Try to keep the doors and windows as close as possible throughout the day.
- Always wear sunglasses during the pollen season to protect your eyes.
- In case you have a pet try to keep the pet as clean as possible and also remove the dander from every form of the surface on a regular basis.
- Try to keep your house free of dust, mites, molds, etc.
- In case you feel that the allergens originate out of food, do be very careful in terms of whatever you eat.
Swollen throat allergies unlike the common flu and other forms of infection can persist for a much longer duration. Sometimes they happen to be nagging as they linger for weeks. This could be even six weeks. Hence proper care at this time is very important. Swollen throat allergies can take a huge toll on your health and emotional state and can make the simplest daily chores much more harrowing. Hence, anyone who is sensitive and are at increased risk for allergies must take very good care of themselves and see a doctor whenever you feel it is necessary.