Types and Procedures of Cosmetic Dentistry
Cosmetic dentistry refers to any type of dental surgery that is related to enhancing the looks of an individual. The surgery focuses on dental aesthetics related to size, shape, and alignment of the face, along with your smile. Let us understand about cosmetic dentistry, know the types and procedures of cosmetic dentistry.
Types and Procedures of Cosmetic Dentistry
Actually cosmetic surgery aims at bringing a positive change to your face and smile. It looks beyond just tooth whitening and a cosmetic surgeon can bring a lot to your face. Majority of the people go for cosmetic dentistry to improvise their smiles, enhance their self esteem, gain confidence and much more.
Here are some of the most popular types and procedures of cosmetic dentistry
- Dental Implants - Dental implants is the procedure of replacing the roots of lost teeth. In a dental implant, a crown which is build on the artificial dental implant is replaced in place of the missing tooth which helps in maintaining the balance and support of the adjacent teeth. It also extends the life span of the adjacent teeth. Since they are the best alternatives for replacing the missing teeth, this popular cosmetic dentistry treatment is expected to last for many years. Perhaps, these are the commonest types and procedures of cosmetic dentistry and are the best choices for replacing the lost teeth.
In this surgery, the dentist inserts a titanium screw into the jaw at the site of missing teeth which in turn acts as support to missing tooth. On the part of patients, they ought to practice oral dental hygiene during the entire implant placement period in order to totally clean the plague and debris clearly of the area.
- Dentures - For many years, dentures have been the most popular types and procedures of cosmetic dentistry as the best method of replacing the lost teeth but they too have their own sets of issues. The main problem which arises while using dentures is that they rest on gums for stability. This in turn can lead to a bone loss, decaying of tooth and even periodontal disease. However, you can also go for relining the dentures after few years in order to prevent bone loss and any casualty that compromises with your facial integrity. But with the advancement in medical science, there have been many changes and now various methods of dentures implants have arisen which are successful for many years. For instance, overdenture is a cosmetic dentistry procedure option, which can be opted by many people to replace lost teeth. Overdentures is a result of combination of different traditional dentures using the newer science of the dental implants which prevents bone loss.
- Direct Bonding – It is a very popular and successful method since it renders direct successful attachment between the filing material of the tooth`s enamel and the dentin. It perfectly looks like an original tooth and works fine. It`s also known as direct composite bonding procedure and is also a common procedures of cosmetic dentistry. In this medical procedure, the dentist takes out the decayed or damaged tooth and applies composite on the surface of tooth. Then the dentist sculpts it into the very right shape curing with high intensity light. Direct bonding is a common type and procedure of cosmetic dentistry for teeth with worn out edges, cracked and chipped surfaces. Bonding in fact comes in the least expensive cosmetic dentistry procedure available as an option to the patients.
- Inlays and Onlays - Known as indirect fillings, they are made by a dental laboratory. Inlays are used when the tooth has minor decay which can turn bigger and they are used in case when the tooth lacks tooth structure to support the filing. The inlay denture is placed on the surface of tooth directly. Onlays are used in case when the major optional of the tooth is decayed or damaged. The onlay covers the entire tooth`s surface. These too are one of the commonest types of cosmetic dentistry.
Both inlays and onlays are made and designed in a dental laboratory from a composite resin material and they are attached to the teeth using the adhesive dental cements. They help in strengthening the teeth, reshaping in order to avoid any further decay and further damage.
- Dental Veneers - Manufactured in the laboratory from the medical grade ceramic material, these dental veneers are made individually for one`s teeth so that they perfectly resemble one`s natural teeth. They give realistic exceptional looks which can resolve numerous cosmetic problems one is facing. Starting crooked chapped and worn out teeth, dental veneers help in resolving all dental issues. Dental veneers are one of the latest popular types and procedures of cosmetic dentistry.
- Teeth Whitening - One of the famous and basic cosmetic dentistry procedures, teeth whitening can easily be performed at the dentist`s office. Whitening of tooth is performed once when the debris, plague and all the tartar from the surface of tooth has been removed brining the surface to the natural appearance. Bleaching of teeth is also done in order to achieve lighter shading than the original color.
Teeth whitening and bleaching are common dental procedures since the teeth also are worn out and their color turns yellowish due to eating various food items, smoking, chewing tobacco etc. A yellowish film on teeth inevitably brings weird looks when a person smiles and this is because majority of the people go for teeth whitening. It boosts self confidence and self esteem so that one can unhesitatingly smile.
Evaluation for Cosmetic Dentistry
In a cosmetic evaluation with your dentist, you can describe your problems you have when you smile or how is it affecting your face. Bringing some old pictures of yours can help the dentist properly evaluate your situation. You can also give an overview of what exactly you are expecting from the various types and procedures of cosmetic dentistry.
Since various aesthetics problems like missing teeth, discolored teeth, damaged gums etc can also be causes of some underlying serious problems, an oral evaluation of dentist is very important. So, a proper evaluation for cosmetic dentistry can help you choose and plan the best pick from the types and procedures of cosmetic dentistry.
- Bruxism (Teeth Grinding): Causes, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Investigations, Treatment, Lifestyle Modifications
- Shine Your Teeth Naturally: Use Baking Soda for Brushing Teeth!
- Home Remedies for Whitening of Teeth With Braces
- 11 Natural Ways to Stop Teeth Grinding
- Sensitive Teeth after Whitening: Know its Causes & Ways to Get Rid of it
- Foods, Fruits and Drinks That Stain Teeth