Thighs tend to be the 'problem area' for most people and may seem difficult to work out because they are not much focused on the day-to-day activities. However, inner thigh exercises are a must for all, as they mainly help to improve the flexibility and strength of the legs. Inner – and outer – thighs can be worked on with a dedicated routine of exercises.
5 Exercises to Strengthen Inner Thigh
Some important inner thigh exercises, which help to strengthen the legs include:
Cossack Squat – An Important Inner Thigh Exercise
The Cossack squat is a great exercise for engaging your core muscles. It helps build strength and endurance. While it is an excellent inner thigh exercise, it is also a very good exercise for glute health. It also works well to build flexibility & mobility and is an all-round warm up exercise for the lower body. To do this inner thigh exercise:
- Stand upright with your feet stretched, wider than at shoulder width.
- Place your arms by your sides, relaxed.
- Go down in a deep squat, on your left side.
- Flex right foot and turn the toes on the right foot up.
- Right leg needs to remain straight.
- Your torso should be leaning very slightly forward. This helps in maintaining balance.
- Raise your arms to chest level.
- Arms need to remain stretched & straight from the shoulders.
- Return to starting position.
- Repeat on the right side to complete on rep.
- Beginners are advised to do 2 sets of 8 reps.
- Reps can increase with added strength and experience.
Power Pushes – A Fat Burning Inner Thigh Exercise
A power push is one of the best inner thigh exercises, which helps to burn fat. It helps to tone the entire leg, not just the thighs and improve the overall functionality. To do this exercise for inner thigh:
- Lie down on a yoga mat. Lie on one side and prop your upper body up.
- Support your upper body comfortably on your elbow.
- Bend the knee on the other side and place the sole comfortably on the mat, such that the bent knee is in line with the body. For instance, if lying on your right side, raise left knee; and vice-versa.
- Straighten your front (other) leg.
- Lift your front leg slightly upwards, and let it hover.
- Take a second, inhale, and then lift that leg further upwards.
- Hold in that position until you feel your muscles protest.
- Switch legs.
This is a simple but very effective exercise for the inner thigh. It allows to reduce the excess fat in the inner thigh area and bring you in great shape, when performed regularly.
- Lie on your back, on a yoga mat
- Lift your upper body up, and rest on your elbows.
- Inhale, and slowly raise your feet in the air.
- Relax your hip and open your legs.
- Push until the limit you are most comfortable with.
- Hold for 2-5 seconds.
- Bring your legs back to the start position.
Glider Side Lunge
The glider side lunge is an excellent inner thigh strengthening exercise, which also works on your legs and glutes. The inner thigh picks up the slack and does all of the work in a secondary step. In order to perform this exercise to its full potential, use a solid lid of a plastic container and this inner thigh exercise can be performed on a carpet. If that is not an option, put socks on and try this on a wooden floor.
- Stand on the ground with your feet slightly apart.
- Place your right foot on the plastic lid (if that's what you chose to use). If doing it without a lid, just extend your right foot outwards.
- Make a fist of your hands and place them close to your chest to maintain strength and balance.
- Put all your weight on your left leg, and squat. Bend your knee and go down very slowly.
- Slide your right foot out towards the outer side.
- As you go back up from the squat, ensure that your right foot slides smoothly back in.
- Most of your weight should remain in your stationary leg.
- This movement is like gliding one leg on the side while being in a half squat position.
- This constitutes one rep. Start with one set of 10 reps each for a leg.
- Progress as required.
This is an excellent inner thigh exercise and the benefits of the Goddess squat are many. It helps to tone and strengthen your lower body. It works out the inner thighs, stretches the muscles and also opens up your hips & chest. This inner thigh exercise is also hugely beneficial for your uro-genital systems.
This inner thigh exercise is also a fantastic complete lower body workout.
- Stand on a flat, smooth surface with your feet spread wide apart. There needs to be a considerable distance between your legs.
- Point your toes outwards as you stand for added balance.
- Raise your arms upwards, while bending your elbows at around your shoulder height.
- Turn the palms inwards, facing each other.
- Exhale deeply, and squat. Bend your knees slowly and start descending to squat.
- Press your hips forward, and ensure that your knees are stable and not pushing forward as well. Your knees should be holding back.
- Relax and drop your shoulders down. There should be no tension around your shoulder area.
- Ensure that your arms are active – in that they are straining and not just raised without any energy flowing through them.
- Look right ahead, keep your chin parallel to the floor.
- Do not let your neck drop, as that will relax you and hamper the position.
- Breathe in deep. Stay in the position for however long you deem necessary.
- When you are done, inhale and start pushing back up. Straighten your legs and raise your arms upwards.
- Exhale, and let your arms drop to the side.
These are five inner thigh exercises which work wonderfully to shape your body. So start doing them at home, or at the gym, and with time, see how your thighs develop!