If you wish to have big, strong and muscular arms, biceps exercises are the best. However, no need to rush to the gym. You do not require weights to build strength and endurance in your arms. The biceps exercises without weights can be easily performed at home using your bodyweight.
Strength training is highly underrated, and using your own body weight in strength training is even more so underrated. It is absolutely possible to build muscular arms, and to get your biceps popping, without weights. Exercises to build biceps without weights are simple yet effective and can be performed using simple equipment which are readily available at home.
Exercises to Build Biceps Without Weights
Here are some of the biceps exercises without weights.
Isometric Bicep Curl
The isometric bicep curl is possibly the simplest exercise to build bicep without using weights. This exercise uses the force of your arms against each other. This exercise works your triceps in addition to your biceps.
- Do a regular curl with your right hand, but with your palm splayed.
- Instead of lifting your arm all the way to the top, stop when your arm is bent at your elbow at a 90 degree angle.
- At that position, bring your left palm and press down on your right palm with all your force.
- Your right palm then presses upwards meeting your left palm’s equal resistance.
- Keep the pressure going for 10 counts.
- Relax and repeat for 5 reps.
- Change hands.
Hammer Curl Exercise Using a Towel to Build Biceps Without Weights
The hammer curl is another beginner’s exercise for the biceps. The only equipment you will require for this is a big, strong towel.
- Place one end of the towel on the floor, and step on it with your right foot.
- Pull the other end on top, and hold on to the towel with a firm grip.
- The towel needs to be long enough for your arm to do a regular bicep curl while holding on to the towel.
- Activate and tense your muscles while you are holding it up for the full benefit of the exercise.
- Your arm should be holding on to the towel at a 90 degree angle.
- Pull the towel for 10 seconds. Relax and repeat for 10 reps.
- Switch hands.
Chin-Up Exercise to Build Biceps Without Weights
The chin-up is one of the simplest exercises, but not easiest, biceps exercise without weights. While the exercise is great for your back, the grip afforded to you adds more emphasis on your biceps. What sets the chin-up biceps exercise apart from its sister exercise – the pull-up – is the difference in the grip. A pull-up is performed with a much wider grip, and you are holding on to the bars overhand.
The chin-up, in contrast, is performed with your hands merely a few inches apart and an underhand grip. The chin-up biceps exercise without weights works the biceps on a level the push-up would be unable to do. The only equipment that you would require to perform a chin-up is a bar, at an elevated height. Please ensure that the bar you are using is solid, as the last thing you want is an accident.
- Stand under the bar, and a couple of centimeters behind it. The distance is barely negligible.
- Grab the overhead bar with your palms facing you.
- Your grip should be closer than shoulder width.
- Ensure that your body is in a poker-straight line. This can be done by tensing your glutes and your abdominal muscles.
- Pull yourself up to the bar slowly, raising your chest and pulling your shoulder blades downwards.
- Pause at the top for 2-5 seconds, with your chin atop the bar.
- Lower yourself down slowly.
This biceps exercise without weights is a difficult exercise, and those who are just embarking on their fitness journey should not attempt to do it unless they can already do push-ups and with ease.
Diamond Push Up – A Basic Biceps Exercise Without Weight
A variation of the regular pushup – which can be difficult enough already – is the diamond pushup. This bicep exercise without weights is a standard warm-up routine in various military bases all over the world. The diamond push-up works out your abs and legs to begin with, but the variation of the exercise makes it work way more for your arms.
This variation of the push-up is an excellent biceps exercise without weights as it lays more emphasis on the biceps & triceps, rather than your chest.It would be wise to perform this exercise on a mat, as the added pressure on your hands might hurt. A clear floor adds risk of injury to the wrist.
- Get on your knees, face your body to the floor and place your palms on the floor.
- Bring your hands closer together to form a diamond. This is done by making your forefingers and your thumbs touch. The shape will also resemble a pyramid.
- Ensure that your hands are positioned just under your chest so as to be able to support your body completely.
- Perform a regular push-up by lowering yourself slowly to the ground, but not letting anything above your chest come in contact with the ground.
- Pause for 5 seconds at the bottom of your push-up, and pause for 5 seconds at the top to be able to feel the extent of the burn.
- Ensure that your back is straight, and that your core and chest are engaged. Do not put much pressure on your arms, leading to them getting locked, on the way up.
- Take special note to see that your elbows are not pointed outwards, and that your arms never move too much from your chest. Otherwise you risk injury.
- Also ensure that your fingers are in the diamond position throughout.
- 10 push-ups constitute a set, and an exercise of 3 sets is fantastic for a beginner.
Inverted Body Weight Row Exercise to Build Biceps Without Weight
The inverted row is a variation on the regular barbell row, in that you are relying solely on your bodyweight. This reduces risk of injury, while applying no extra stress on your back. The difference lies in that there is a pushing movement in the bench-press, and a pulling movement in the inverted row.
The inverted row or the reverse bench press is a wonderful biceps exercises without weights. This exercise works out your biceps, traps, back, and all your stabilizer muscles in between. The row is also a great stepping-up exercise if you are looking to develop enough strength to be able to a do a pull up.
The only equipment that this movement requires is an extremely thick & sturdy wooden pipe. Please make sure that you test the strength of the pipe before embarking on this exercise.
- Place the pipe between two chairs, or surfaces of equal height.
- Lie down on the floor underneath it.
- Ensure that there is adequate space between you and the bars.
- Grab the bar with your palms facing the outside, resulting in an overhand grip.
- Your body should be a straight line. This is very important for proper form.
- Engage your abdominal muscles, and do not let your buttocks sag.
- Pull yourself up to the bar, very slowly, until your chest is making contact with it. Ensure that you are moving the middle of your chest towards the bar, and nowhere else.
- Lower yourself to the ground slowly, until your arms are completely extended.
This biceps exercise without weights can be performed conveniently but it is important to use firm and sturdy equipment.
These are some of the most convenient biceps exercises without weights. A regular routine of these exercises paired with lean eating and total body strengthening will have you flexing proudly in no time. It is important to pace yourselves, and not tire yourselves out. So space out your exercises over days, take adequate rest, eat well; and watch your body prosper.