Having brittle, rough-looking, and weak nails can be pretty frustrating – and even mildly painful, to say the least. Healthy, sturdy, and strong nails are not just attractive but also a sign of being in excellent health. Besides, long and beautiful are much easier to maintain and live with. Luckily, if you’ve been scouring the web for tips on how to strengthen your nails, you’ve stumbled upon a valuable resource from Raw Science to help you find the best nails.
Why Do Nails Become Brittle?
If you are looking to strengthen nails, then you are probably aware that the first place to start is identifying why your nails are brittle or appear weak in the first place. There are several reasons why your nails’ structural integrity can become adversely affected to the point of splitting or breaking off easily. Here’s a quick overview of that.
- Age: Advancing age is by far one of the main reasons your nails and hair lose their youthful appeal as you get older. It’s not uncommon, for instance, for fingernails to become more brittle and thinner as one ages, the same way toenails tend to morph into harder and thicker ensembles.
- Hypothyroidism: Alongside brittle and dull nails, one of the main symptoms of low thyroid levels is unexplained weight gain, hair loss, fatigue, endless constipation, and chronic depression. Luckily, your physician should be in a position to treat hypothyroidism using a broad range of hormonal treatments.
- Iron deficiency: Apart from an acute low blood cell count, low iron levels also interfere with the ability of the body to maintain healthy, strong, and bright nails.
- Lifestyle and daily habits: It is no secret that brittle and soft nails are caused by overexposure to too much moisture, harsh detergents, and using the wrong nail polish removers and household cleaners. And that’s why it is imperative to wear rubber gloves when undertaking chores that involve contact with such substances.
Factors That Influence and Strengthen Nails
You can immensely reduce the risk of having brittle, cracked, and split nails by becoming acquainted with some of the factors and daily habits that revolve around solid nails. Here’s a quick overview of that.
1. Using Moisturizers
Conditioning and moisturizing your hands can go a long way in helping you maintain strong and smooth nails that are not predisposed to splitting and cracking. Make a point of going for hand lotions that are formulated using lanolin-rich bases and endeavor to moisturize your nails religiously every day before going to bed to keep them amply hydrated as you go to sleep.
2. How Well Do You Protect Your Hands
Make a point of wearing heavy-duty rubber gloves when undertaking household chores that involve handling abrasive chemicals. These gloves can shield your nails and hands (in general) from the chemical corrosiveness of such cleaning fluids. 3
Apart from caring for your nails, proper nutrition also plays an immense role in how strong and immaculate your nails can be in both the short term and in the long run. In case you are wondering, that’s the reason biotin collagen keratin capsules are highly recommended in filling in the nutritional gaps in one’s dietary regimen.
How to Strengthen Nails
The good thing is that it is not exceptionally hard to strengthen brittle nails as long as you can adhere to a few tips such as;
1. Eat Foods That Promote Having Strong Nails
Just like any other physical aspect of your body, healthy and smooth nails are usually built in the kitchen. In this case, it is essential to prioritize dark and leafy greens that are ordinarily known to be rich in nutrients such as iron and calcium. Good examples include kale, collard greens, and broccoli. The same can be said of eggs and meat they are known to be rich in keratin which is needed to grow, maintain, and repair brittle nails.
2. Go For Non-Toxic Nail Polishes
It’s an open secret that nail polish removers and nail polish can sometimes harbor a concoction of strong chemicals. Frequent use of these substances can adversely dry out and weaken your nails, making them more likely to crack or split. Besides, the combination of dyes and glues in most acrylic nails can react with some of these harsh nail products and trigger a nasty reaction.
3. Moisturize your Hands and Nails
Just like your skincare routine, how well you care for your nails can make the difference between immaculate nails and dull or brittle ones. Moisturization, as you may imagine, is usually part of this regimen. Dermatologists usually recommend the application of cuticle creams and petroleum jelly to the cuticles to help seal moisture into the nail bed. If done right and consistently, this will result in not only softer hands but also stronger nails that can weather brittleness.
4. Shoot Acrylic and Gel Polish Right
It is imperative to familiarize yourself with how to apply gel polish and attach acrylics correctly to minimize the chances of secondary damage such as chipping, peeling, or nail shrinkage. Nail polish, for instance, should be applied in thin coats and gel polish has to possess the proper pH balance by employing a combination of a pH bonder, scrub, and acetone.
5. Using Biotin Collagen Keratin for Nails and Hair Skin
As observed earlier, nutrition plays an immense role in maintaining strong nails. Unfortunately, regardless of how meticulous you are with your eating plan, it is virtually impossible to extract all the essential vitamins and trace minerals needed to smooth, long and strong nails from your diet alone. Here’s where food additives such as Raw Science Biotin Collagen Keratin Supplement come in. Besides, it is challenging to come across bioavailable vegan/vegetarian sources of nutrients such as collagen or keratin, something that supplements usually excel at delivering.
Raw Science Biotin Collagen Keratin Supplement — Pros and Cons
You may be wondering how Raw Science’s Collagen and Keratin supplement stands out from the rest of the crowd as far as availing nail-friendly nutrients go. Here’s a quick primer to that.
- The manufacturer has conveniently included several purchase options tailored according to one’s usage patterns or budget
- The money back guarantee essentially makes this supplement a risk-free purchase
- Vegan-friendly, formulated using natural ingredients, and GMO-free
- A bit pricier than other supplements in this bracket
Apart from being beauty appendages, it is easy to forget that your nails also double up as protective shields for your toes and fingers. Hence, having brittle or cracked nails can make it considerably more challenging for you to complete regular or daily activities, mainly if you are constantly working with your hands.