Mittelschmerz is a pain of lower abdomen, which is usually one-sided and happens around the time of ovulation.
How Many Days After Mittelschmerz Is Ovulation?
Mittelschmerz usually happens around ovulation period. However, according to some studies, ovulation pain occurs just before the actual time of ovulation. And yet some other studies say that ovulation pain occurs exactly at the time of ovulation. Generally, it can be stated that ovulation occurs about one to two days after the ovulation pain occurs.
How Is Mittelschmerz And Ovulation Related?
Every month, an egg is released from a follicle in one ovary during ovulation. When the follicle grows, it stretches the surface of the ovary. This stretching may cause the ovulation pain. Also, when the follicle ruptures, it releases some blood or fluid. This blood or fluid may irritate the lining of the abdomen, which may cause the pain. All this happens during the period of ovulation. And ovulation happens during the middle phase of the cycle. Hence, the term Mittelschmerz.
Symptoms Of Mittelschmerz
- Mittelschmerz pain may last anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours
- Sometimes it may even last for a day, or two in worst case
- Women experience this pain usually on one side of the abdomen. This usually relates to the same side from which the ovary releases the egg in a month. Hence, this pain may shift sides each month according to that side that releases the egg.
- This pain may be like a twinge or very dull in nature
- It might also be cramp like
- Or the pain may be very sharp and sudden
- There may be a mild vaginal bleeding or vaginal discharge when this pain occurs
- This pain is very rarely severe
Causes Of Mittelschmerz
- The exact cause of Mittelschmerz is not yet known. However, there are some speculations as to why this pain occurs at the ovulation time.
- Just before ovulation the follicle grows, and this growth of the follicle stretches the surface of the ovary
- This stretching of the ovary may be a cause of the pain during ovulation
- When ovulation takes place, the follicle ruptures and during this process, some fluid or blood is released from the follicle
- This fluid or blood may irritate the lining of the abdomen (peritoneum), and this may be a cause of the ovulation pain
Diagnosis Of Mittelschmerz
- It is not very difficult to diagnose Mittelschmerz and, there is no test required to do the same
- This pain occurs during ovulation
- Ovulation takes place around two weeks before your next menstrual cycle begins
So, any pain around this time can be said to be Mittelschmerz
Treatment Of Mittelschmerz
- Usually, most women with Mittelschmerz do not require to consult a doctor
- The pain might be sharp and sudden at times, but it is only a temporary thing and it goes away max in two days
- However, in some instances, the pain may be debilitating and may cause too much discomfort to hamper even the daily routine
In such cases, your doctor may recommend some medicines which may help in alleviating the pain and discomfort caused due to Mittelschmerz. These medicines may include-
- These are pain reliever medicines that are available over the counter
- These medicines will help relieve the pain and ease the discomfort during Mittelschmerz
- These may include medicines like ibuprofen, acetaminophen, aspirin and naproxen sodium
However, it is advisable to take these medicines only on advice of your consultant, as these may cause serious health hazards if taken in a wrong way or dosage
Birth Control Pills-
- These are the oral contraceptive pills which are used to prevent ovulation in women
- As they prevent ovulation, they will prevent the pain related to ovulation
- Mittelschmerz is a German word for middle and pain. It is also known as ovulation pain as it happens around the time of ovulation.