Mittelschmerz is a pain that occurs usually on one side of the lower abdomen. This pain occurs at the time of ovulation and is also known as ovulation pain.
What Helps Mittelschmerz?
Mittelschmerz pain is experienced by many women in almost every cycle and it can be said that almost all women experience Mittelschmerz pain at least ones in their entire menarche to menopause phase. While it may not require any treatment, for some women it may be very severe and may make them land in an emergency room. In such cases, a few medicines can help Mittelschmerz pain.
- Over the counter pain reliever medicines can ease the discomfort caused by Mittelschmerz
- These medicines may include acetaminophen, ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen sodium etc.
- However, it is not wise to pop these pills every so often and these are best taken on a proper recommendation by the physician
- Oral contraceptives or birth control pills prevent ovulation
- As ovulation pain occurs typically during ovulation period, you would not get ovulation pain while taking birth control pills
- These are generally recommended when ovulation pain causes you a lot of discomfort and pain and it occurs every month
You can also try some lifestyle changes and natural, home remedies to ease the pain and discomfort that is caused by Mittelschmerz. Heat relaxes tense muscles, increases blood flow and reduces cramping. These tips may help-
- Soaking in a hot water tub
- Using a hot water bag or a heating pad where the pain occurs
Natural Remedies For Mittelschmerz
Mittelschmerz can be prevented and cured by some of the following remedies-
Eating Dark And Leafy Vegetables-
- Dark green leafy vegetables are very rich in calcium and magnesium and they ease the discomfort caused by Mittelschmerz
- These both can act as diuretics, which can help in getting rid of water accumulated in the body and help in reducing bloating caused during ovulation
- These vegetables are also very rich in fiber
- This fiber helps in keeping constipation at bay and thereby reduces any additional discomfort caused by bloating during ovulation
Limit The Use Of Processed Foods-
- Processed foods, because of all the heaviness and ugliness of high-fat, high-calories and heavy processing, can cause bloating, cramping and gases in the body
- An already increasing discomfort during the ovulation phase can worsen even more because of the consumption of processed foods
- It is best to limit the intake of these foods
Papaya May Help-
- Papaya contains large quantities of vitamin A and C and ease the discomfort caused by Mittelschmerz
- It is also very rich in an enzyme called papain, which is known to help in a smooth flow during menstruation
- This property of papaya may help in alleviating the discomfort caused during ovulation
Include Omega 3 Fatty Acids-
- Omega-3 fatty acids have a wide range of health benefits and ease the discomfort caused by Mittelschmerz
- They help in improving the brain functioning and reduce the chances of getting a heart disease
- These fatty acids also help in decreasing the inflammation
- This property may help in reducing cramps, bloating, gases and other such symptoms during ovulation
- Chamomile tea may help in boosting levels of glycine, which is an amino acid responsible for relaxing some muscles that cause painful cramping during menstruation
- However, chamomile tea may make you a bit drowsy
- Hence, it is best to have chamomile tea before going to bed
- This will not only help you enjoy a good night’s sleep, but will also help in alleviating the pain and cramps caused during ovulation
Up Your Water Intake-
- A good fluid balance can help in getting rid of many problems like bloating, constipation, gases etc. that may make ovulation pain worse
- It is advisable to up your water intake throughout the day to achieve this as this will ease the discomfort caused by Mittelschmerz
Most women do not need to visit the doctor for Mittelschmerz, as the pain is usually dull and mild. However, if the pain is severe and sharp you may need to visit the doctor and seek treatment for it.