Itchy Ankles is perhaps one of the most common skin conditions to occur. The irresistible feeling of scratching the ankles and the pleasure that one gets while scratching it is something which cannot be explained in words. All said and done, Itchy Ankles is a skin disorder which can be caused due to various factors. Sometimes, Itchy Ankles can get so severe that it may cause the individual to bleed from the area. Hence proper care is recommended for the ankles to prevent such conditions from arising.
Itchy Ankles is a condition which in some ways depends on the region from where the individual comes from, meaning the geographical location. People who are of Asian descent are more resistent to common allergens like dust and other environmental allergens which have the potential to cause Itchy Ankles and hence very rarely have this condition. People from the United States or other western countries are quite sensitive and have a very sensitive skin and thus may get affected with just a little exposure to dust and other allergens and may easily get Itchy Ankles.
Some of the symptoms which are associated with itchy ankles are swelling of the ankles, lack of sensation in the ankles, and rashes around the ankle region. Once a cause of the Itchy Ankles is diagnosed then a treatment plan can be formulated in the form of creams, lotions, or in some cases medications for Itchy Ankles.
What Causes Itchy Ankles?
Itchy Ankles can be caused due to various factors which include weather changes, exposure to dust and other environmental allergens, certain skin disorders, as well as use of certain medications. If itching in the ankles is not treated then it may lead to damage to the skin and tissues around the ankle region due to scratching, and may predispose the individual to infections. Itchy Ankles may occur with or without rashes.
Some of the Causes of Itchy Ankles Without Rashes are:
- Dry skin
- Swollen ankles as a result of a thyroid disorder or other medical conditions
- A remote injury to the ankle which required a surgical procedure
- Intestinal parasites
- Varicose veins is yet another cause of itchy ankles
- Peripheral neuropathy which is mainly caused due to diabetes mellitus in which the itching happens mainly at night
- Using cleansing products containing sulfur
Some of the Causes of Itchy Ankles With a Rash are:
- Obvious presence of a rash around the ankle
- Allergic reaction to dust, pollens, certain plants while walking barefoot or when in sandals
- An individual with Athlete’s foot will have itchy ankles
- Allergic reaction due to perspiration within the socks which causes irritation especially in the summer months
- Crohn’s disease is yet another medical condition that may cause Itchy Ankles.
Treatments to Get Rid of Itchy Ankles
There are many ways to treat itchy ankles some of which include:
- Application of ice or cold pack over the affected area as this will calm down the inflammation caused due to constant itching and ease the itching. The ice pack should to be kept for at least 15-20 minutes two to three times a day for relieving itching in ankles.
- A mixture of ginger juice and oats is an effective home remedy to get rid of Itchy Ankles. Ginger contains gingerol which is an extremely potent antiinflammatory and helps in reducing the inflammation and thus treating Itchy Ankles. All you need to do is take one peeled ginger with uncooked oats and blend the mixture into a paste and apply it over the affected area at least twice a day to get relief from Itchy Ankles.
- Calamine lotion is also quite effective in treating Itchy Ankles and reducing irritation caused by constant itching. This lotion can be obtained from any pharmacy.
- Application of moisturizing lotion is another way to treat Itchy Ankles. These lotions contain Menthol which cool down the inflamed ankles and help in treating Itchy Ankles
- If itching in the ankles does not improve with these measures then the individual should make an appointment with a dermatologist to find out the cause and help formulate a treatment plan to get rid of Itchy Ankles.
- In cases where eczema and psoriasis are the cause then steroids are very potent in treating itchy ankles.
- One more effective way to treat itchy ankles is by soaking the affected ankle in tub of lukewarm water mixed with epsom salt as it will reduce the inflammation and treat itchy ankles.