Some people suffer from a condition in their body, especially in the legs where there grows the web of red or blue veins spreading across the legs or any other affected area. These spider veins may also be accompanied by some other symptoms. There are certain factors which contribute to cause spider veins in people which must be known. People prefer remove these spider veins due to cosmetic reasons. There are various treatments options available for getting rid of spider veins. In this current article we will know more about what causes spider veins the treatments to get rid of it.
A Brief Note on Spider Veins:
Spider veins are actually the dilated superficial blood vessels which appear mostly in the legs, though also appear in other parts of the body. These spider veins actually look like the web of red or blue veins on the affected portion. They are caused by the faulty valves present within the veins. Usually spider veins also are associated with other symptoms like swollen legs or other portion in the affected area. There are certain factors which cause increased symptoms in spider veins which include family history, medical history, growing age, increased pressure etc. It must be informed that mostly spider veins do not cause serious medical issues; however some medical reasons or cosmetic reasons may require the removal or other kind of treatments.
Facts about Spider Veins:
- Spider veins usually occur in women. It is noted that about 70-80% of the patients with spider veins are women. However, men also get encounter with the spider veins
- Symptoms of spider veins mostly increase during pregnancy.
- Spider veins are not just cosmetic issues. Sometimes they can cause medical issues which require treatments.
- Spider veins can also be a symptom of poor blood circulation.
- Exercise can help you reduce the symptoms of spider veins.
- Spider veins are mostly genetic in nature.
What Causes Spider Veins?
As we mentioned earlier, there are certain factors which contribute to the cause of Spider veins. Following are some of them listed below.
- Growing Age as a Cause for Spider Vein: Aging can be a reason for the occurrence of spider veins. As we grow, the valves in our veins weaken and do not work well. This may lead to the occurrence of spider veins.
- Hormonal Changes as a Cause for Spider Veins: Changes in hormone increases the chance getting Spider veins. Hormonal changes are known to be causing spider veins. That is the reason mostly during puberty, pregnancy etc there occur the spider veins.
- Sun Exposure as a Factor for Causing Spider Veins: Being excessively exposed to sun can also cause spider veins; especially in the nose and the cheeks of the fair skinned people.
- Obesity as a Cause for Spider Veins: Obesity is one more factor causing or increasing the chance for occurrence of spider veins.
- Medical History and Family History Being a Cause for Spider Veins: People born with weak vein valves have more chances for growing spider veins. It is also known that spider veins are genetic and people with family history of spider veins may also develop spider veins in them.
- Lack of Movements Causing Spider Veins: Lack of movements usually contribute to the cause of occurrence of spider veins. This actually causes the veins to work harder for the blood to pump in to the heart. This may cause the appearance of spider veins.
- Pregnancy in Women as a Factor for Occurrence of Spider Veins: During pregnancy, there is an increased amount of blood in the body, which can cause the veins to enlarge. Moreover pregnancy also causes the uterus to put more pressure of the veins and thus occur the spider veins.
Treatments to Get Rid of Spider Veins:
Now, here we are with the treatments to get rid of spider veins.
- Sclerotherapy Treatment to Get Rid of Spider Veins: One of the most common treatments for spider veins is Sclerotherapy. Here, in this method the doctor make use of a needle for injecting a liquid chemical in to the vein. The injected chemical cause the vein walls to swell, stick together and seal shut; which stops the flow of blood and the veins turn in to scar tissue. The vein usually fades in few weeks after this treatment. There may be a necessity of the treatment to be done every 4-6 weeks and gradient compressions stockings must be wore after the sclerotherapy treatment for better healing and reduce swelling. Ultrasound guided sclerotherapy is a form of sclerotherapy treatment for spider veins which makes use of an ultrasound imaging so as to guide the needle in the treatment procedure. Usually the affected veins that are not visible on the skin surfaces can be treated by this ultrasound guided Sclerotherapy procedure. There may be some possible side effects of Sclerotherapy which may include stinging, raised and red colored patches of skin or bruises where the injection was made; there may also be brown lines or spots around the treated veins; lumps of blood gets trapped in vein leading to inflammation. However, usually these side effects are not dangerous.
- Surface Laser Treatment that Helps Get Rid of Spider Veins: Laser treatments for spider veins can also be effective in some cases. A very strong burst of light is sent to the affected veins through the skin which usually fades and disappear the spider vein. However, one of the greatest limitations of this surface laser treatment for spider veins is that not all skin types and colors can be treated by this method. It is essential to know that laser light exposure on the skin and in to the veins can be painful. Usually the treatment continues for about 15-20 minutes and about 2-3 such treatments would be required for treating the spider veins. Some of the possible side effects of laser treatments for spider veins may include redness and swelling in the treated portion, discoloured skin and sometimes burns and scars.
- Ambulatory Phlebectomy for Removing Spider Veins: One more treatment method for spider veins is ambulatory phlebectomy. This is a treatment procedure where the patient may be given local anaesthesia in the affected area to numb the portion for undergoing the treatment. Here small cuts are made in the skin to reach and remove the affected veins by using the hooks. Usually one such treatment is enough to treat the spider veins in patients and they can get back to their usual and regular activities after treatment.
Slight bruising and temporary numbness in the portion treated may be couple of side effects of this type of treatments for spider veins.
- Removal of Spider Veins via PIN Striping: PIN stripping is one more treatment procedure used to treat the spider veins. An instrument called PIN stripper is used to insert in to the spider veins. The tip of the PIN stripper is sewed with the end of the vein and when the stripper is pulled out, the vein also gets pulled out. This type of treatment may be done under local or general anaesthesia in an operation room or in a doctor's office.
- Radiofrequency Occlusion to Get Rid of Spider Veins: One more procedure for treating spider veins is a radiofrequency occlusion. This involves the use of a catheter which is inserted in to the veins and which sends radiofrequency energy that heat and seals shut the affected spider veins. This can be done under a local or general anaesthesia.
- Surgery to Get Rid of Large Spider Veins: Surgery is one of the most effective techniques for treating the large spider veins which are usually unresponsive to any other treatment methods for treating spider veins. Surgical procedure for treating spider veins may involve ligation and stripping; where the doctor ties off the vein and removes the affected portion from it. A general or local anaesthesia may be used while undergoing the surgical treatment procedure for spider veins. One can get back to his normal activities after few days of the treatment.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Spider Veins:
By following the below mentioned self care steps, we can get rid of the spider veins.
- Wear Compression Stockings: Low grade compression stockings are usually available in chemist or drug store which can be used to prevent the development of spider veins. These stockings actually help in stimulating the blood vessels, and thus aids in enhancing circulation of blood and reduce swelling and other symptoms in spider veins.
- Apply Sunscreen Lotion: It is mostly known that sunscreen lotions or creams help in protecting your skin from sun. However, sunscreens can also help you in preventing the growth of spider veins as you grow by your age.
- Keep a Healthy Diet: A healthy diet is essential for getting rid of spider veins. Avoid salts which can cause water retention in the body and lead to swelling or occurrence of spider veins. Take diet rich in fiber which is beneficial in keeping away from pressure like constipation which can also cause the development of spider veins. Also make sure you are avoiding the pre-processed foods which are rich in sodium, i.e. one more salt. Go for a healthy choice of food like fruit, vegetable, whole grains, lean meat etc.
- Maintain a Healthy Body Weight: A healthy body weight is essential to keep away from the occurrence of spider veins as it reduce the stress on the blood vessels, the legs, feet etc which actually discourages the growth of spider veins.
- Go for Regular Exercises: Exercising regularly aids in improving the blood circulation, even when you are sitting still. Moreover, exercise also helps in improving body weight and thus aids in getting rid of spider veins. It is good to go for the exercises which involve legs movements, like running, jogging, cycling, swimming etc.
- Apply Horse Chestnut: Horse chestnut extract can be a wonderful home remedy for spider veins. You need to apply about 250 mg of the Horse chestnut extract every day so as to help strengthen and juvenile your veins and reduce the development of spider veins.
- Adjust Your Posture: A good posture is highly essential in getting rid from spider veins. Having a proper posture one increases the chance for proper blood circulation and thus reduces the chance of the growth of spider veins.
- Try out the Herbal Extract of Witch Hazel: Witch hazel is another herbal extract with a soothing astringent that makes it a wonderful remedy for treating spider veins. You need to follow a self care method for treating spider veins by taking a cotton ball to do dab some hazel extract and apply it directly over the spider veins in your body. Doing this several time a day, can greatly benefit in reducing the symptoms in spider veins.
Prevention from Spider veins:
Some of the ways to prevent the occurrence of spider veins include the following:
- High heels can put extra pressure on the legs and also restrict the blood circulation and lead to spider veins. Make sure you are avoiding high heels and preventing self from growing up spider veins.
- Maintaining a good posture is very much essential and can prevent the occurrence of spider veins.
- Regularly exercising helps in preventing the growth of spider veins.
- Check on your weight and be sure you are keeping it healthy and preventing the appearance of spider veins, which mostly grow in people with reduced body weight.
Spider veins are usually harmless. But at times they can cause some minor medical issues which require treatment. Moreover, it is not only about the medical problems but also the cosmetic issues which makes the affected person look forward for the removal or effective treatments of the spider veins. So, in case you are one suffering from symptoms of spider veins and want to clear them off then reach an expert professional to know more about your condition and go for the prescribed treatments and self care techniques for getting rid of the spider veins.