The Oxaprozin was approved by FDA in 1992 and drug was marketed as Daypro. The initial clinical trial involved over 600 patients suffering with rheumatoid arthritis. The dosage tried were 600 to 1,800 mg of Oxaprozin. The symptomatic relief was observed in most of the patients suffering with rheumatoid and osteoarthritis. Oxaprozin is second generation non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs classified under group of propionic acid. There are several NSAIDs included in propionic acid derivatives. The most used propionic acid NSAIDs are Ibuprofen, Ketoprofen, Naproxen, Oxaprozin and Fenoprofen. Published research study suggests Oxaprozin is a safe NSAIDs prodrug and causes less of ulceration.
Alternative Name of Oxaprozin.
Oxaprozin is been marketed as Daypro, Dayrun and Duraprox. The medication broadly known as Daypro.
How Does Oxaprozine Work?: Mechanism of Action
Cyclooxygenase enzyme triggers conversion of arachidonic acid to prostaglandin when activated. Cyclooxygenase enzymes are activated during infection and following trauma. The increase concentration of prostaglandin and similar other chemicals increases blood supply within injured or infected tissue. Inflammatory changes influenced by prostaglandin around injured and infected soft tissue and bones irritates pain receptors and sensory nerve fibers resulting in pain. Similarly, toxins secreted by dead cells causes fever. Inhibition of or blocking of action of cyclooxygenase enzyme decreases secretion of prostaglandin.
Uses: Oxaprozin Used For Treatment Of Following Symptoms-
Soft Tissue Inflammation And Pain- Oxaprozin is used to treat acute and chronic nociceptive pain caused by soft tissue infection and inflammation.
- Skin- Skin infection like cellulitis, carbuncle, furuncle, boil and abscess causes skin as well as subcutaneous inflammation and pain. Oxaprozin is used with antibiotics to inflammation and pain.
- Tendon and Ligament- The inflammation of tendon because of injury or stress causes tendinitis. The tendon inflammation and pain is treated with Oxaprozin. Similarly, ligament strain or injury causes inflammation resulting in severe pain. Ligamental pain and inflammation is treated with Oxaprozin.
- Muscles- The muscle spasm, inflammation (myalgia or myofascial syndrome) and injury causes inflammation of affected area of muscles and follows pain. Such inflammation and pain is treated with Oxaprozin.
Bone Inflammation and Pain- Joint and bone pain caused by fracture and inflammation is treated with course of Oxaprozin lasting 10 to 15 days.
- Arthritis- Joint pain caused by joint inflammation in diseases like osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and juvenile arthritis is treated with Oxaprozin.
- Fracture- Acute and chronic pain caused by fracture of bones in extremities or ribs are treated with Oxaprozin. The treatment also helps to heal the fracture site by reducing the inflammation.
- Dislocation- The joint dislocation in extremities causes severe pain. Such pain may or may not respond to NSAIDs and most patient sare treated with opioids during initial period. Later after 2 to 3 weeks opioid is discontinued and replaced by Oxaprozin to relieve pain as well as subside inflammation.
- Fever- Fever not responding to tylenol is treated with Oxaprozin in children and adults.
Oxaprozin is Used to Treat Following Diseases
- Axial Spondyloarthritis
Dosage of Oxaprozin
Oxaprozin is available as pills and syrup. The strength of pill is 600 mg.
Dosage advised is 10 to 25 mg per kgm. The pills advised are 600 mg pill once a day or three time a day. Maximum dosage advised is to 1800 mg.
Duration of Action Oxaprozin
The peak blood level and pain relief is observed 2 hours after taking the pills. The therapeutic peak effect last between 3 to 4 hours. Medication is repeated every 6 to 8 hours.
Side Effects Caused by Oxaprozin
- Bruising because of increase subcutaneous bleeding resulting from abnormal platelets dysfunction.
- Gastric and duodenal ulcer causing moderate to severe abdominal pain;
- Gastric and intestinal bleeding from ulcers;
- Mid-sternal pain secondary to esophagitis and esophageal ulcer
- Nausea and diarrhea;
- Skin rash mostly spread over extremities;
- Bilateral Tinnitus causing ringing in ear;
- Peripheral edema because of fluid retention.
Oxaprozin is Avoided in Following Diseases-
- Kidney diseases;
- Liver diseases and cirrhosis;
- Bleeding disorder resulting in bruising and stroke;
- Congestive heart failure and myocardial infarction;
- Oxaprozin is avoided in patient taking other NSAIDs, warfarin and lithium medications;
Dosage of antihypertensive medications and antibiotics needs to be adjusted to lower dosage since the blood concentration of active drug is higher when patient is taking Oxaprozin.
Oxaprozin prodrug as safer nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug: Synthesis and pharmacological evaluation.
Arch Pharm (Weinheim). 2018 Feb;351(2). Peesa JP1,2, Atmakuri LR3, Yalavarthi PR4, Mandava Venkata BR2, Rasheed A5, Pachava V6.
A review of the emerging profile of the anti-inflammatory drug oxaprozin.
Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2005 May;6(5):777-85., Dallegri F1, Bertolotto M, Ottonello L.
Oxaprozin: kinetic and dynamic profile in the treatment of pain.
Curr Med Res Opin. 2004 Aug;20(8):1275-7., Kean WF.