Fibromyalgia Is a Chronic Somatic Disease Of Muscles, Tendons, Ligaments and Joints. Pain Observed Is Widespread and Localized Over 18 Tender Points. Diagnosis Is Concluded When 11 Tender Points Are Observed During Clinical Examinations.
Pain Is Observed Over-
- Muscle mass of trunk
- Arms and
Pain is described as allodynia and may not respond to pain medications.
Pain Is Associated With-
Fibromyalgia is a common musculoskeletal pain syndrome associated with few other symptoms such as
- Sleep disturbance
- Joint pain
- Depression and
The Following Activities are Restricted-
- Restriction is often voluntary since any movements can increase severity of pain.
- Patient may feel invalid and isolated; these symptoms are common among women.
Causes of Fibromyalgia
- Alteration of biological signals at neuro-receptors and within synapsis of spinal cord. Abnormal impulse triggers multiple pain syndromes in trunk and limb muscles.
- Genetic research has indicated similarities between depression and fibromyalgia indicating chemical imbalance at neurotransmitter levels.
- Changes in neurotransmitters and neuroreceptor are trigger by either psychological stress or physical stress.
- Some studies have suggested that people with fibromyalgia may perceive pain differently than healthy people.
- FM may involve abnormal neuro-endocrinal activities in the central nervous system that process pain (the nociceptive system).
- Brain scans of fibromyalgia patients have found abnormalities in pain processing centers. Researchers have detected up to three times normal level of substance P (a chemical messenger associated with increased pain perception) in the cerebrospinal fluid of fibromyalgia patients.