Padmasana or Lotus Pose - How To Do, Benefits
"Yoga takes you into the present moment, the only place where life exists." We all are known to the magical benefits of yoga in our life. Padmasana or the lotus pose is one of the most beneficial yoga asana which is practiced by many followers of traditional medicine and treatment procedures. Sitting in lotus pose or Padmasana is also known to have tremendous health benefits in human beings. In this present article we will read about some of the most important health benefits of Padmasana or the benefits of sitting in the Lotus pose and how to do this yoga exercise.
A General Overview on Padmasana or Lotus Pose:
The Padmasana or lotus pose is a cross-legged sitting position originated from the ancient India's meditative practices which is known to cure various health condition and illnesses. This is mostly associated with the meditation and the posture looks like a lotus or the padma which actually encourages proper breathing while meditating. Padmasana is known to provide intense flexibility to the body, helps in improving the body and mind health and is an absolute workout which can be done by everybody for better fitness. We shall know about the health benefits of Padmasana or the Lotus pose in our following sections of the article.
How To Do The Padmasana or Lotus Pose:
- Sit on the floor with your stretched legs.
- Now, hold the right leg with both the hands and fold it gently and slowly to keep it over the left thigh.
- Do keep in mind that the foot is touching the navel.
- Now do the same with the left leg. Hold the left leg with both the hands and fold it to place over the right thigh.
- Make sure at this position, your knees are touching the ground and both the feet are headed up with the spinal cord absolutely straight.
- Put your both the palms on the knee joints facing upside down with the thumbs touching the index finger and rest other fingers facing up.
- Keep your eyes closed for one minute and then slowly open the eyes and relax yourself in the Padmasana.
- Continue this asana for at least 15-20 minutes or as long as you can for best benefits.
Padmasana or Lotus Pose for the Beginners:
"Not everyone is perfect in everything!" If you are starting with the Padmasana practice and find it difficult to do as per the procedure, you can also have it done in a very simple manner at the start. All you need to do is hold any one leg with both the hands and fold it to keep it over the opposite thigh. This is known as Ardha(Half) padmasana. You can do your lotus pose this way till you get flexible with the move. Once you are habituated with this Ardha padmasana, you can begin with the Padmasana procedure as mentioned above.
Benefits of Padmasana or Lotus Pose:
Now, here comes our topic of interest. Here in this section we will study about some of the most essential health benefits of Padmasana or the benefits of sitting in the lotus pose.
- Padmasana or the Lotus pose is the most preferred asana for increasing the focus and concentration of mind.
- The yoga asana helps in calming the brain
- Padmasana assist us in relaxing the body
- Sitting in lotus pose aids in increasing the hunger.
- Padmasana or the Lotus Pose helps in providing enough of blood to the spine, abdomen, pelvis and the bladder and thus help in stimulating them.
- Sitting in lotus pose is one of the best workout which involves a great and effective stretch of the ankles and the knees
- Padmasana also have a great impact on female hip and knee joints.
- In females it might also help during childbirth and also help in easing the menstrual pain.
- Padmasana or sitting in Lotus pose helps in reducing the fat content present in the hip and the thigh portion.
- Padmasana or sitting in lotus pose stretches the spine in a better way
- The best advantage of padmasana or the Lotus pose is that this yoga asana can be done by anyone, including the lean, fat, young, old, men and women.
One of the best quotes from Buddha comes as, "Each morning you are born again. What we do today is what matters the most." If you have been suffering from any of the physical or mental illness mentioned above and want to come out of it in an absolute way or if you simply want to experience how beautifully your body and mind is actually designed from inside and want to feel the peace of having a good health and fitness then all you need is start with the Padmasana or the Lotus pose and feel the difference. Make sure you are not bending you body while doing the yoga asana.