Back pain is the most annoying pain in today's life when there is a lot of stress and a person needs to sit or stand for several hours during their work. Here are a yoga exercises which a person can do on a daily basis anywhere which will help a long way in relieving back pain.
Yoga Exercises for Back Pain Relief: All Direction Back Stretch
This form of yoga exercise for back pain relief can be comfortably practiced any place like office, while traveling, while watching TV etc. To do All-Direction Back Stretch yoga exercise, one should sit in comfortable position called Sukh-Asana or cross legged pose as shown in the picture. The back should be kept straight and shoulder should be relaxed. In case if one wishes to stand and practice yoga the feet should be kept parallel to each other. Next, follow the steps mentioned below:
Lengthening the Spine Yoga Exercise for Relieving Back Pain
- While inhaling, lift the arms from sides very slowly.
- Interlock the fingers such that thumbs are touching each other softly.
- Stretch as much as can be done in a comfortable fashion. Keep the elbows straight ensuring that the biceps touch the ears.
- Maintain this posture and take 2 or 3 deep breaths.
Hint to Deepen Back Stretches: Try to pull navel inwards towards spine when doing this exercise.
Right-Left Spine Twist Yoga Exercise for Back Pain Relief
To do this yoga exercise for back pain relief, the fingers should remain interlocked above the head, with your spine stretched straight.
- Now while exhaling, bend the spine to right side and stay this way for 2 or 3 deep breaths.
- Inhale again and return to original pose.
- Now, exhale and bend the spine to the left side and stay this way for 2 or 3 deep breaths.
- Inhale and return to original pose.
This is an effective yoga exercise to decompress the spine and provide relief from back pain
Right- Left Spinal Bend Yoga Exercise to Relieve Back Pain
For this exercise also the fingers remain interlocked above the head.
- Exhale and bend the spine to right side slightly. Hold this position and continue breathing.
- Inhale and return to original position.
- Exhale and now bend the spine to the left side. When doing this, one should make sure not to bend the spine in front or back. Also, one hand should not be stretched more than the other.
- Inhale and come to starting position.
Hint to Deepen Back Stretch: Try and involve abdominal muscles also during stretches.
Forward-Backward Spinal Bend Yoga Exercise to Relieve Back Pain
- Stretch the interlocked hands out in front as shown in the picture.
- Inhale and when exhaling bend the spine in forward direction from lower back.
- Now, inhale in this position and when exhaling turn to the right side. One should make sure that both hands should be parallel to one another and there should be equal stretch.
- Inhale and return to starting pose.
- Exhale and then repeat the above, now turning in the opposite direction.
- Return to original pose while inhaling and slowly move the arms up.
- Unlock fingers and then do a backward stretch.
- Inhale and return to starting pose. Exhale and slowly bring the arms down.
Twisting Spine from Side-to-Side Yoga Exercise for Back Pain Relief
- To do this yoga exercise for relieving back pain, keep left palm on the right knee as shown in the picture below. Take deep breath and when exhaling slowly twist on right side. You may place the other hand on floor beside the right hip.
- Now, stretch in upward direction by pressing right palm on the floor. One should make sure not to lean back or in front.
- Inhale and return to original pose.
- Exhale and repeat the above now on the opposite direction. Keep the right palm in left knee, left palm on floor. In all this, the back should be kept straight.
- Inhaling, return to starting pose.
- Now, the cross legged pose needs to be changed that is if the right leg was placed on left, now do the opposite and repeat stretches explained above.
Benefits of Back Stretches
- Improves body posture.
- Strengthens back as well as abdominal muscle.
- Completely relaxes the back.
- A good exercise for warming up before doing other exercises.
- Helps lungs to work in their whole capacity.