The deficiency of nutrients plays a crucial role in inflammatory bowel disease or IBD. Diarrhea, malabsorption and blood loss through stool is common in the disease of inflammatory bowel disease or IBD. Diet plays a crucial role in recovering from inflammatory bowel disease or IBD. This section of the article explores the home remedies for inflammatory bowel disease or IBD, prognosis, lifestyle changes and coping with inflammatory bowel disease or IBD.
What are the Home Remedies for Inflammatory Bowel Disease or IBD?
Patients, who are suffering from inflammatory bowel disease or IBD whether it is crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis, should reflect on the dietary and lifestyle changes to get the desired results in an impeccable manner. There are different types of food that can aggravate the situation for the patients suffering from ulcerative colitis and crohn’s disease. You should follow a strict dietary regime to get the desired results.
- Eliminating dairy products is a good home remedy for inflammatory bowel disease or IBD. Some people are allergic to dietary products because they can get infected with abdominal pain along with the gas accumulation. Lactose intolerance is one of the most important problems affecting a large number of people. It is vital to use enzyme products to get the desired results. Lactic acid can be very handy for the users.
- Having low fat diet is a great home remedy for inflammatory bowel disease or IBD. If the small intestine is infected with the crohn’s disease, the fat cannot be absorbed into the body; therefore, it might lead to diarrhea and other complications. Butter along with margarine should not be consumed by the patients. It is important to refrain from fried food.
- Be careful which having fiber rich foods. People with narrow bowel should not consume higher fiber food because it is bound to worsen the symptoms by many notches and cause long term problems. Bake or stew the vegetables before proceeding ahead with consumption. Constriction in the path of the bowel would force the patients to eliminate broccoli along with cabbage in the diet. One should also not increase the intake of cabbage and popcorn.
- Avoid foods that cause problems such as spicy foods. Alcohol along with caffeine can create problems for the patients.
- Having small meals is another good home remedy for inflammatory bowel disease or IBD. Having meals in small amount is a better option for the people.
- Consume plenty of fluids. Drinking water would go a long way in making you healthy. Caffeine should be avoided because it can stimulate diarrhea and other complications.
- Taking multivitamins is a good option and a home remedy as patients suffering from crohn’s disease cannot absorb nutrients; therefore, it is vital to consume multivitamins on a regular basis under the expert supervision of the doctors.
- In the case of weight reduction, one should consult the dietician for diet modifications.
What is the Prognosis for Inflammatory Bowel Disease or IBD?
The usual progress of the Inflammatory Bowel Disease or IBD (for most people) consists of episodes of remission interspersed along with random flare-ups.
Prognosis for ulcerative colitis in inflammatory bowel disease or IBD:
- Instances of ulcerative colitis in inflammatory bowel disease or IBD are numerous as researchers’ point out that disease occurs again in the existing patients after 2 years (it is a 50 percent chance). There are about 10% of the patients who get only one bout of colitis in 25 years. The majority of patients continuously suffer from the problem.
- Some patients can develop the disease of rectum over a period of time but it can last for almost as long as 20 years. Few patients develop extensive symptoms only inside five years of getting infected.
- Colostomy surgery is performed on the patient whose whole colon gets infected.
- Initially, surgery is performed in the patient with ulcerative colitis in inflammatory bowel disease or IBD but later on the frequency of the surgery completely stops as the infection is eliminated from the body. Surgery is considered to be the final cure for ulcerative colitis.
Prognosis for crohn’s disease in inflammatory bowel disease or IBD:
- Surgery has limited effect on the majority of crohn’s disease patients in inflammatory bowel disease or IBD as it can recur after 2 years. Only very few patients have seen a longer remission.
- Lots of people oscillate between the remissions and the manifestation of the acute symptoms. It requires continuous monitoring on the part of the doctors.
- Surgery is recommended by the doctors to eliminate the issue pertaining to fistulas or internal bleeding. It is not used to treat the problem of inflammation.
- Post-surgery complications can arise in the form of the disease with similar symptoms. It can occur in the small as well as large intestines.
- About 35% of patients require repeat surgery inside five years while the rest inside fifteen years.
- Endoscopic proof for repeating inflammation is possible in ninety three percent of persons one year after surgical treatment for crohn’s disease in inflammatory bowel disease or IBD.
- Endoscopy findings indicate that the inflammation remains in the majority of patients even after surgery.
- Surgery is not the be all and end all cure in the case of crohn’s disease in inflammatory bowel disease or IBD. It is only performed to reduce the complications and provide relief to the patients.
What are the Recommended Lifestyle Changes for Inflammatory Bowel Disease or IBD?
The majority of people are undergoing stress in modern life both in the professional and personal sphere. There are many strategies to eliminate stress. Some of the lifestyle changes for inflammatory bowel disease or IBD are mentioned as follows:
- Exercise is a mandatory lifestyle change for inflammatory bowel disease or IBD. Exercise would go a long way in reducing the stress by many notches. It can help to enhance the bowel function and improves the digestion to a great extent.
- Biofeedback can be helpful and is a good lifestyle change for inflammatory bowel disease or IBD. A feedback machine is used to enhance the relaxation procedure of the muscles. As a result, tension is released and the patient can enjoy the relaxed state. It will have a cascading effect on the digestive system.
- Regular relaxation and breathing exercises for inflammatory bowel disease or IBD is vital to relax and use various methods such as deep breathing and staying calm. One should also adopt numerous techniques of yoga accompanied by meditation.
- Smoking is one of the most important causes of crohn’s disease in inflammatory bowel disease or IBD. If you are suffering from the problem, it can aggravate the symptoms to a great extent. Smokers are faced with relapsed cases of diseases accompanied by repeated instances of surgeries. Smokers cannot get ulcerative colitis however its combined effect on the body is harmful rather than useful. Therefore, you should leave the bad habit and get relief from the narrowing of the intestine. Scientists have tried to use nicotine patches in eliminating colitis but they did not get expected results.
How to Cope with Inflammatory Bowel Disease or IBD?
Coping with inflammatory bowel disease or IBD is not easy. Inflammatory bowel disease or IBD can play havoc with the physical and mental state of the patient. He or she cannot go out and feel the constant urge to go to the toilet. Even mild symptoms can hamper the normal routines and put the individual under severe depression. You can follow certain steps that are mentioned as follows to cope with the hardships:
- Being informed about the disease of inflammatory bowel disease or IBD is a good coping mechanism. It is important to gather required information about the disease in detail from credible sources.
- Joining a support group is another best way to cope with inflammatory bowel disease or IBD. It is vital to join the groups of the people who are suffering from, the symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease or IBD. They can provide impeccable emotional support to the patients.
- Therapy can help in a long way in coping with inflammatory bowel disease or IBD. Contacting a psychologist would go a long way in delivering impeccable results to the patients. The expert understands the emotional trauma the patients are going through and provides valuable suggestions in dealing with the situation.
Medical researchers all round the world are trying to come up with better inflammatory bowel disease or IBD treatment procedures for the relief of the patients.
- What is Inflammatory Bowel Disease or IBD: Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Diagnosis
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease or IBD: Treatment, Surgery, Recovery Period, CAM Therapy