Kidneys are one of the most vital organs in the human body. Like heart, liver and any other vital organ, it works, without any rest, throughout life. It is the purifying organ in the human body and removes toxins that are accumulated in the blood during metabolism. Any problem in this vital organ may result in life threatening results. The most interesting fact about kidneys is that they can perform their function even if some part of it is damaged and thus the diagnosis of the problems takes place at a later stage. If caught early, the problems can be treated, and the kidney functions can be restored. There are various signs experienced by the body in case of any kidney problem. Those signs should not be ignored and immediate appointment with healthcare professional should be done.
How Would You Know If You Have Kidney Problems?
Body readily reacts and provides signs when there is any problem in your kidneys. Following are the general signs shown by your body when there are any underlying kidney problems. Although, these signs are shown in many other diseases, but these signs should not be ignored and immediate consultation with your doctor is required.
- Pain in the Back: If you feel any severe pain in the back or on your side, there are chances of kidney stones. The pain is so severe that many patients require an emergency visit. It is a wave like pain which comes and goes.
- Bloody Urine: Also known as hematuria, you may have blood coming out with urine in case of kidney stones.
- Rising Body Temperature: Any fever along with the other kidney stones signs may indicate that you may have a urinary tract infection and should be treated immediately so as to stop further damage in your urinary tract.
- Feeling Tired: The main function of the kidney is to remove the toxins from the blood. When there is any kidney problem, this function hampers and toxins accumulate in the blood leading to tiredness.
- Itchiness: When the toxins accumulate in your body and there is an imbalance in the minerals in the body, the skin becomes dried and itchy. If your skin becomes dry and itchy, along with tiredness, it may indicate kidney problems.
- Urge to Urinate More: When you have an urge to urinate more often, generally at night, then your kidneys may have some problem. It is a compensatory mechanism of the body to flush out the excess toxins accumulated in the body when your kidneys are not functioning at its best.
- Muscle Cramps: Function of the kidney is to maintain an electrolytic balance in the body. Muscle contracts by using electrolytes such as calcium. When there is an electrolyte imbalance, you may experience muscle cramps.
- Swelling: If you experience any swelling below eyes or on ankles and feet then there is a water retention, which may be caused due to kidney problem. Water is retained in the body because there is sodium retention due to reduced functioning of the kidney.
- Foamy Urine: Urine produced by a healthy kidney contains very limited amount of protein which does not make the urine foamy. However, if your urine is foamy it may indicate high protein content and there might be some underlying kidney problem.
- Painful Urination: If you experience any pain or burning sensation during urination, there are chances that there is either a kidney stone or urinary tract infection or both and immediate measure should be taken to restore the normal state of urinary tract.
There are various signs which a person experiences when there is any underlying kidney problem. It is to be kept in mind that your kidney may perform fine even if there is some problem. This means that the signs experience by you may be at a later stage. Any delay or ignorance of these signs may cause an irreversible damage to your kidneys.