Graves’s disease is essentially a disorder affecting the immune system of the body, which ultimately leads to hyperthyroidism. The condition of hyperthyroidism is best explained by the overproduction of the thyroid gland. There may be various conditions which lead to hyperthyroidism, Graves disease is one of them.
Can You Have Graves’s Disease and Gain Weight?
Usually Graves’s disease is associated with hyperthyroidism. Excess production of thyroid gland leads to weight loss rather than weight gain. However, if a patient undergoes treatment for Graves’s disease, the medications essentially aim in reducing the hyperactivity of the thyroid gland, which in turn may lead to weight gain.
There is a set of common symptoms which occur in Graves’s disease. A patient may have some of the symptoms from the set, while others may have many. Common symptoms include-
- Patient may experience extreme irritability and become anxious for no obvious reason.
- The patient may develop heat sensitivity.
- The patient may undergo an enlargement of the thyroid gland, a condition called goiter.
- Female patients can suffer from irregular menstrual cycles while males may experience erectile dysfunction.
- Patients can suffer from a condition called the Graves’s dermopathy, where the skin on the shins and feet of the leg grows thicker.
- Patients can suffer from heart palpitations characterized by rapid heartbeats.
- Patient may experience irregular bowel movements
- There may be bulging of eyes, a condition commonly called the Graves’s ophthalmopathy.
- Patient may experience tremors in hands and fingers
- Patient may feel fatigued most of the times.
- There may be excessive loss of weight.
- Patient may experience thinning of hair, making the hair follicles brittle.
Can Gluten-Free Diet Help in the Treatment of Graves’s Disease?
It has been seen that a gluten free diet facilitates the working of the medications aimed to treat Graves’s disease. However, medications prescribed by the doctor are important. It is to be noted that a gluten free diet is not a treatment procedure for Graves’s disease but just a form of catalyst to speed up the working of the medications. Once the gluten is removed from the diet, it has many benefits like-
- It helps in increased absorption of the nutrients from the diet.
- Gluten free diet helps in reducing the level of inflammation of the thyroid gland.
- Helps in better absorption of the prescribed medicines and thyroid hormone if given.
- The gluten free diet makes the patient’s intestines better permeable thereby keeping the system clean.
What Happens if the Graves’s Disease Is Left Untreated?
Graves’s disease may bring various serious diseases and outcomes if kept untreated-
- Since patients with Graves’s disease may suffer from heart palpitations, if left untreated may lead to heart failure and stroke.
- The disease can lead to excess eye pain which may result in total vision loss.
- Patients may suffer from bone diseases like osteoporosis and thinning of bones.
- Since the condition of hyperthyroidism may affect the working of various internal organs, if left untreated may lead to sudden death of the patient.
Graves’s disease is basically a condition which adversely affects the patient’s immune system by making the thyroid gland hyperactive. The doctor may ask to have a proper diet plan and workout routine to deal with weight gain because of the medicines. Nevertheless, Graves’s disease should be treated effectively with medications because it has various symptoms that have adverse effects on the body of the patient. It affects the heart and bones of the patient. The disease can also be fatal in case it is left untreated.
- Graves’ Disease or Basedow-Graves Disease: Causes, Symptoms, Ophthalmopathy, Dermopathy
- Home Remedies for Graves’ Disease
- Can Graves’s Disease Make You Blind?
- Can Graves’s Disease Turn into Cancer?
- What Does Grave’s Disease Do To Your Eyes?
- Is Grave’s Disease Considered a Disability?
- What is the Main Cause of Grave’s Disease?
- Can Grave’s Disease Be Treated?