Do Back Braces Really Work?|Advantages & Disadvantages of Back Brace
A back brace is a support that can be used to provide your lower back with additional support. In some cases, back braces can greatly improve or completely eliminate back pain. A back brace may be effective in providing you with some relief, no matter whether the back pain is due to poor posture, injury or your growing age. In this article we will take a look if back braces really work and also know about the advantages and disadvantages of back brace.
About Back Brace & How Does It Work?
A back brace is known to offer support to the muscles and bones in the lower back and minimize or eliminate pain. As this key area of your body gets the support from the back brace, your body can then relax and begin healing from the stress or strain that caused the discomfort. These back braces also limit the motion of the spine, which further aids in minimizing pain and discomfort.
Primarily there are two types of back braces; namely, Corset braces and Rigid braces. Usually back braces are useful in conditions like acute sprain or strain, Facet syndrome, chronic or traumatic instability, post-operative support, fracture management, spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc disease and bulging or herniated disc.
It is always essential for you to find a back brace that fits you appropriately, that is comfortable, feels supportive and that offers you some pain relief.
Do Back Braces Really Work?
Yes, Back Braces Do Work.
Maybe you are looking for a back brace because you want to be able to stand with good posture, or maybe because you are having back pain or other health issues that a back brace can help you with; finding the right back brace for your problem is highly essential. Though back braces are not the ideal devices that you should wear all the time or for a long period of the time every day, however; by wearing a back brace, you will be able to strengthen and retrain your muscles without building a dependence on the device. A back brace could be really effective in improving your posture quickly and soon, your family and friends will also notice that you walk, stand and sit in a straighter way.
Though most people believe a back brace could really work, there is no sufficient evidence, that indicate that these back braces, actually work. Some laboratory studies suggest that a back brace may reduce spinal loading and flexibility of the trunk so that you do not over-flex, however, there is nothing out there that tells wearing these back braces prevents back pain.
Know the Advantages & Disadvantages of Back Brace:
Advantages of Wearing a Back Brace:
- When back braces are used immediately after surgery, they can help in improving the stabilization of the spine.
- Back braces of Lumbar support braces, can help in minimizing the pain initially after a low back injury. Moreover, these braces are available easily in a sporting goods store or a local pharmacy.
- Back braces can make it more comfortable to transition from standing to sitting, while you are experiencing pain.
- A back brace helps in supporting the user’s abdomen and corrects their posture.
- Back braces can make transitional movements, like from sitting to a standing position, more comfortable while you have episodes of back pain.
- In case you have a labor-intensive job, that puts stress on your lower back, a back brace might help you when you first return to work after a back injury.
Disadvantages of Wearing a Back Brace:
Though there are a number of advantages of using a back brace, there are also some disadvantages which are listed below:
- Using back braces continuously may cause your supportive muscles to atrophy. Because, these supportive muscles are no longer in use, they begin to get weaken and cause you to become indefinitely reliant on the back brace. Ultimately, the brace may not be able to provide your weak muscles with the support it actually requires and there may be an occurrence of injury.
- By using back braces continuously or for an extended period of time, your spine becomes vulnerable. As, the back and abdominal muscles continue to atrophy, the spine becomes vulnerable and at a greater risk of injury.
- In adolescents with scoliosis, back braces are used for preventing progression of the spinal curvature. However, research has not proven the benefits of back braces for scoliosis.
By now you must be known that for some people a back brace can be helpful, especially for a short period of time; however, using back braces for longer period of time or for preventive reasons, may not be useful. It is okay to use back brace, but not to become totally reliant on it. So, if you are using a back brace, limit the use only to some hours in the day. It is also strictly advised that in case of any severe back pain, do consult your doctor and know about the best possible treatments for the same.
- Hunchback: Causes, Symptoms, Signs, Investigations, Treatment, Exercises, Posture Brace
- Magnets and Pain Management: How Does it Work and How is it Used?
- Levoscoliosis: Treatment, Braces, Physical Therapy, Surgery, Exercises
- What is Kyphoscoliosis: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Surgery, Risk Factors
- Can A Fractured Vertebrae Heal On Its Own?