The muscles of the back support the human body. When the muscles are overworked it may cause the back spasm. While rest is necessary to allow the strained muscles to heal, there are other methods to offer relief and prevent recurrence. It can be managed using conventional as well as unconventional methods. Here are some treatment options, exercises and home remedies to get rid of back spasm.
Getting Rid of Back Spasm with Medical Treatment, Exercises, Home Remedies
Here are some of the treatment methods to get rid of back spasm. These are similar to first aid measures, often recommended by physicians and physical therapists to offer relief of symptoms. These measures help to relieve pain, swelling and inflammation, which helps to get rid of back spasm.
Medical Treatment for Back Spasms
Some medical treatments, prescribed to get rid of back spasms include
- Medication – Physicians often prescribed non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) and muscle relaxants to relieve symptoms. This is an effective way to get rid of back spasms, but often needs other measures to prevent recurrence.
- Endorphins the Pain Medication – Hormone, endorphins is considered to be an effective pain killer. It is usually secreted naturally in humans. Endorphins also help alleviate anxiety, stress, and depression, which are all associated with chronic back pain and often make the pain worse. Sniffing of some vanilla or lavender can boost up the Endorphins secretion or taking a little amount of Ginseng do the same job. Exercises too increases release of endorphins, which helps to relieve stress and pain.
Exercises to Get Rid of Back Spasm
The most effective way to get rid of back spasm is physical therapy and recommended exercises for back pain. They not only provide relief, but regular practice can make back muscles strong and prevent further pain or injuries.
Poor posture and long periods of sitting in the same position often trigger back spasm. It is the lack of movement results the poor circulation that develop spasms especially in the lower back. Use gentle exercises to avoid straining the muscles, such as walking on a treadmill or going up and down a flight of stairs can recondition the muscles again. Some general basic stretches are appropriate for the back spasm if it is directly related to lack of movement of body or sedentary lifestyle for a long period of time.
Prone Press Up Exercise to Get Rid of Back Spasm
- Lay on your stomach on a mat or surface
- Bent your elbows underneath
- Keep your palms flat on the surface
- Notice your hips and pelvis should be in contact with the surface
- Lift your upper torso with your arms off the surface of the mat
- While lifting keep your back muscle relaxed
- Lift up as high as you feel comfortable, don't put any extra stress for more lifting into air
- Hold your comfortable lifting position for 10 seconds,
- Down slowly
- Repeat for 10 times
- Hold your lifted upper torso off the mattress up to 30 seconds when you feel you can do it.
- This lumbar extension stretches is good for individuals suffering from back spasm with a disc herniation.
Single Knee to Chest Exercise to Get Rid of Back Spasm
- Lie on your back straight
- Bend your both knees with foot rested on the floor.
- Try to bring one knee towards your chest in the same lying position
- Hold that knee for 15-30 seconds. Start with minimum and extend over time
- Repeat the same process to alternative knees for 2-4 times
- You must feel a stretch along the lower back or buttocks, it is the right indication of performing
- If you feel comfort try the same performance with both legs and at a time
- This lumbar flexion stretch is good for individuals suffer back spasm for spinal stenosis
Prayer Stretch or Child's Pose Exercise to Get Rid of Back Spasm
- It is a kind of Yoga that stretches the lower back muscles along the spine
- Be on your hand and knees
- Sit back to your buttock
- Let your buttock rest on heels
- Stretch your hands forward across the mat or surface to lengthen your spine
- Hold it for 10-30 seconds, start with minimum and extend over time
- Repeat for 2-3 times
Similarly, there are other effective exercises, which physical therapy advises based on the specific causes of back spasm and your health condition.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Back Spasm
Apart from regular treatments, some way want to make use of home remedies to get rid of back spasm. Some of the home remedies include
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Mix two tablespoons of ACV with a teaspoon of honey for a dose. Mix it in a glass of warm water and stir well. Drink a dose daily. Great mixture for muscle spasms as it dissolves the acid crystals in blood.
For its anti-inflammatory properties, Celery is an unconventional method to treat muscle spasms. Get one teaspoon finely grind whole celery seeds and mix it with a cup of boiling water. Stir it for 10 minutes and strain. Drink this tea twice daily
It is the finest herbal remedy for spams with the anti-inflammatory and sedative properties in it. Mix lavender oil with olive oil equally. Rub the mixture onto back. Wait for 10 minutes and then remove it with towel if necessary. This is an effective home remedy to get rid of back spasm. Similarly, other essential oils, Epsom salt bath are also very effective and can be used as per your taste.
Cayenne pepper known as red peeper also has a simulative agent that increases blood circulation significantly in the area of back spasms. It also contains capsaicin that can reduce pain and inflammation. It is great to get rid of back spasm and relieve inflammation. Can be included in your salads or oil can be externally applied over the back.
Drinking more water with sufficient electrolytes will be a perfect alternative when the spasm occurs out of dehydration. Overworking causes the evaporation of water including the electrolytes, which often causes back spasm. So, eating bananas or drinking sports beverages that contain electrolytes can help to deal with the problem and to maintain balance of electrolytes in the system. Ensuring proper intake of water can help prevent muscle spasms.
Applying ice packs or other conventional cooling strategies help to relieve inflamed tissues and reduce swelling. Application of ice pack in 15-20 minutes intervals may work effectively, especially in acute pain and back spasm.
If the cooling does not work so well the opposite method can be tried. Applying heat in a measured way may cause the muscles to stretch out and expand. This is more useful in people who regularly suffer from muscle spasm or back pain or in other chronic conditions. Warm muscles become functional as warmth helps to relax the stiff and overworked muscles.
Application of alternate cool and warm packs is also effective to get rid of back spasm in some cases.
Acupuncture is one of the most unconventional methods adopted to stimulate the specific nerve endings or muscles in the body. It is practiced in sessions to relieve pain and relax the muscles most effectively, is a popular way to get rid of back spasm.