Ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS is a group of inborn illnesses that belong into a bigger cluster, known as heritable disorders of connective tissue.1 Such connective tissues are present to grant support in tendons, skin, internal organs, blood vessels, ligaments and bones.
In this article you will learn about the physical therapy (PT) for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS, coping and home remedies for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS.
Physical Therapy (PT) for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS
At present physical therapy (PT) administration of affected individuals identified with Ehlers Danlos syndrome or EDS concentrates upon a compensatory/avoidance method to deal with the presence of precise signs and syndromes of the state that vary purposely to each affected patient. Regrettably, no procedure of physical therapy involvement exists to tackle the impairments and useful limitations connected with ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS, owing largely in division to the diverse appearance of the state for each patient.
Each physical therapy plan of concern for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS must be particularly created for the affected individual depending leading the subcategory of ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS plus the indications and syndromes of that individual.
On the whole, physical therapy interference for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS focuses on escalating joint stability via a low resistance and high repetition resistance working out program, avoiding extreme burdening through weight bearing joints, avoiding unnecessary use of engaged joints for serious lifting, adaptive tools to achieve ADLs without inflection of syndrome, and pain relief.
Physical therapy- resistance training for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Low resistance and high repetition activities are good for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS.
- Goal is to enhance static and energetic muscle tone to support increased joint stability during weight bearing and practical activities
- Prevention of continuing joint dislocations/ subluxations owing to increased muscle tone to counteract presence of excessive joint, ligament, tendon, and muscle laxity
Physical therapy- aerobic training for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Walking, Swimming, Bicycling are good for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS
- Water aerobics or Low-impact aerobics
- ROM (Range of movement) exercises
- Goal is to encourage increased static and active muscle tone to stop acute joint dislocations by minor stimulus or trauma
- May perform as pain relief method for individuals practicing constant muscle and joint pain connected with ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS.
Physical therapy – myofascial release techniques for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Pain relief (instant – several hours)
- Allows pain free involvement in battle training or every day activities
- Goal is to lessen the occurrence of muscle contraction that outcome in strong pain in joints, tendon, muscles and surrounding ligaments.
Other modalities for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Massage is good for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS.
- Hot/cold pack
- Electrical stimulation
- Aim is to supply hurt relief to the affected individual, who might/might not be experiencing constant muscle plus joint pain from common joint dislocations/subluxations, myofascial spasms, and activate points connected with EDS
- Choice of correct modality is reliant upon individual’s preference
Coping Tips and Home Remedies for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS
Management of energy and speeding of activity for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
When upkeep of energy, administration of joint troubles and be bothered of joints is essential, the subsequent guidelines should confirm helpful.
Pre planning for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS
- Use your joints prudently and care about them
- A all times keep a little power in reserve to prevent over-exertion
- Prioritize the activities to be done
- Consider how to perform the task or whether somebody else could carry out the task for you.
- Spread heavy and simple tasks all through the week
- Exchange vigorous tasks with the tasks that can be performed while sitting down
- Divide the heavy tasks be into lighter components
General tips for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Be flexible
- Be seated to perform out tasks where feasible, many activates can be performed equally well sitting
- Stop working when you feel exhausted
- Keep away from lifting heavy items
- Do not do repetitive bending and stretching
- Re-organize kitchen equipment, keep regularly used items close at hand
- Use of energy saving equipment should be considered
Joint care for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Use your joints very carefully
- Do not involve in any unsuitable actions for you
- Avoid continuous grasp or maintaining joints in a single position
- Realize that you cannot work with pain and swelling
- Avoid stress on individual joints
- Don’t get occupied in prolonged tasks that strain you beyond your capabilities
- Only begin a job with the knowledge that you can terminate it if necessary
- Take sufficient rest
- Wear agreed splints and supports
- Use recommended equipment
- Always reserve some energy for an emergency
- Speedup your tasks, exercise and rest.
Exercise and Rest for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS
Keep a balance among exercise and rest if you are a victim of ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS.
Rest for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Help out muscles recover their energy. Relax on a mattress somewhat than on a couch
- The quantity of rest required differs from one individual to another.
- Maintain a correct position while relaxing.
Exercise for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Helps to maintain the strength of muscles. Bear in mind to work out within your regular routine.
- Avoid impulsive muscle movements which might place a tension on your major joints
- Do not over exhaust muscles and workout different group of muscles.
Posture for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
Always try to maintain a good posture by means of weight which is distributed evenly.
Standing posture for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Spine should be straight, shoulders must be relaxed.
- Stand using the two feet by captivating the weight uniformly
- Use supportive & comfortable shoes
- Stay away from standing for prolonged amount of periods.
Sitting posture tips for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Avert low soft chairs or bean bags
- Make sure of good head rest, arm rests and better support for the back.
- Good supportive and comfortable padding
- While sitting and working – use appropriate and adjustable furniture.
Lying down posture tips for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Height of the bed should be decent– keep away from strain while going in and out of the bed.
- Use hard mattress with fine structure
- Make use of flat pillows
Personal Care Tips for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS
Bathing Tips for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS:
- If possible sit while taking a shower.
- Make use of bath boards and seats to help yourself. Multiple types of blow up bathing seats which can help you lie down completely during the bath.
- During the time of drying or washing sit down on a stool or toilet.
Toilet tips for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
A lifted seat helps decrease strain on joint muscles
Hair care tips for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- If possible maintain a short to medium hair style so that it can be easily managed.
- While showering, you can wash your hair.
Clothing tips for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
Try to dress up while sitting
Bedroom tips for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
Make sure to have adequate facilities near the bed like flask or bottle of water all the time.
House activity tips for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- If you have stairs, keep a bag near the stairs so that the objects which can be taken up or down can be placed in it and multiple trips up and down can be eliminated.
- Make use of a weightless device for cleaning the carpets instead of a vacuum cleaner.
- Make use of a dustpan which has a very long handle so that you do not have to bend unnecessarily.
- If you have to iron your clothes, make sure you are sitting on a comfortable stool with appropriate height.
Kitchen tips for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- The surface of the work should be flat so that you can push and pull the objects instead of lifting them
- Kettle can be filled using a jug instead of lifting it.
- The dishes which are to be washed should be soaked up first so that you need not apply too much pressure while cleaning them.
- Make use of a draining rack to dry the dishes.
- Cooking plan should be made ahead so that the number of utensils used is reduced.
Shopping tips for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Make use of the trolleys which features a seat possibly will be helpful
- Request for stuffing and carryout supporter in mall
- Request if local shops provide delivery services
- Use email than ordinary paint
Feet mobility tips for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Always make use of comfortable shoes
- Molded insoles can help
Walking tips for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Be considered about using: a walking frame, crutches or a stick
- Make certain you are appraised for the most appropriate and trained in correct use.
Tips when buying scooter for the victim of ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Make sure about the speed, distance, kerb climbing features.
- Check padding of the seat, suspension and even look for choice of seats
- Will it be able to be separated into pieces to put in a car?
- Place for an electric power unit for charging.
Tips while purchasing wheelchair for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Make sure that it is powered/need an attendant/ self-propelled/ pushed
- Foldable to fit inside the car, if power units are there
- Correct size
- Supportive padding
- Electric power unit for charging purpose
- Make sure whether appropriate instructions are given or not.
- Advice might be existing from Disabled Living Centers
When acquisitioning a wheelchair confidently ask the company to exhibit the wheelchair at your place:
Prices and characteristics vary greatly; obtain time in making a decision.
Driving Tips for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS
If you are a sufferer of ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS and when you have to drive, consider whether you can get the following facilities from the vehicle you indent to drive.
- Transmission which is automatic.
- Power steering
- Adaptations like handbrake, steering wheel, enlarged keys etc.
- Wearing splints/support gadgets e.g. wrist supports, collar
- Inform about your condition to the insurance firm and to the DVLC.
- Obtain car badges released beneath the blue-badge system. It allows you to park adjacent to facilities. These badges are also recognized and valid to use in the European Union and even in some other states of the U.S. But before wearing check whether they are still in use or not.