Ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS is a group of inborn illnesses that belong to a bigger cluster, known as heritable disorders of connective tissue. Such connective tissues grant support in tendons, skin, internal organs, blood vessels, ligaments and bones.
In this article we will look into the treatment for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS, lifestyle changes suggested for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS and management of ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS.
Treatment of Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS
A proper cure for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS is not available to date; therefore, the treatment for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS mainly concentrates on controlling symptoms and preventing complications arising from it.
Medication Management for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS
- Pain medications for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS like naproxen and ibuprofen are usually prescribed for controlling the pain and if these do not work adequately stronger medications may be prescribed for muscle and joint pain in ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS.
- Hypertensive medications may be required in some cases of ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS where the blood vessels may be more fragile necessitating reduction of stress on vessels by maintaining low blood pressure.
Physical therapy (PT) for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS helps in maintaining strength and function of the muscles as joints with weak connective tissues tend to dislocate easily. Exercises not only strengthen the muscles surrounding a joint but also help in stabilizing the joint. Braces are also helpful in preventing dislocation of the joints.
Surgery is performed for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS in very rare cases in order to repair repeatedly dislocating and damaged joints. However, surgery is not very much helpful in healing the skin and the connective tissue of the damaged joint.
Lifestyle Changes for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS
If you are suffering from ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS, it is essential to prevent wounds. Below mentioned are some of the lifestyle changes to safeguard yourself:
- Choosing sports carefully is one of the major lifestyle changes needed if you have ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS. Keep away from weightlifting, contact sports and other behaviors that amplify your possibility of injury. Reduce strain on your ankles, knees and hips and that might be triggered by climbing stairs, step aerobics or running.
- Rest your jaw if you have ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS. Avoid hard rolls, chewing gum and ice to guard your jaw joint. Take pauses though out dental operation to shut your mouth.
- Keeping away from certain musical instruments is one of the lifestyle changes necessary if you have ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS. To avert a collapsed lung, avoid playing brass instruments or reeded wind. The piano or violin probably safer alternatives and would take benefit of the amplified suppleness of your hands.
Management of Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS
At present ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS do not have a cure. Management and treatment of ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS includes an arrangement of instructing about the detailed nature of the condition, prevention, management, and plus how to prevent major & secondary symptoms of the condition.
Currently any particular healing rules (or protocols) do not survive owing to the broad unpredictability of symptoms and manifestations there in affected persons and with the variety of associate types of ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS. Each exact treatment procedure is individually premeditated and concentrated for the patient so as to fit the requirements of that particular patient.
Medication for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS usually consists of organization of certain signs and syndromes of the state plus lifestyle changes to avoid injury/ complications. Therapeutic management is typically supervised by a doctor specializing in physical medicine. Referral foundations comprise a dentist, occupational therapist, ophthalmologist, genetic counselor, physical therapist, and to offer the affected individual with a complete and holistic medication approach.
Patient Education for Managing Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS
Following are the patient education tips for managing ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Evading of high collision actions that place augmented strain on pre-depressed lax joints, like resistance training or heavy lifting for managing ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS.
- Prevention of actions that entail joint hyperextension, like extreme stretching or recurring activities for managing ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS.
- Careful skin care in mandatory for managing ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS
- Careful dental care is also necessary for management of ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS
- Regular therapeutic health check for vascular impairment connected in the company of Vascular ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS, bone thickness (scans of DEXA), or orthopedic dysfunctions connected with improved joint negligence and small muscle tenor.
Physical Therapy (PT) for Managing Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS
Below are the physical therapy methods for managing people suffering from ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS:
- Exercise schedule in PT management for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS consists of aerobic training joint by a low resistance and high repetition resistive exercise event to boost amplified joint constancy by increasing common muscle tone which is resting.
- Helping devices to offer loading assistance to lower edge joints through ambulation and weight bearing activities for managing ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS
- Stimulating to endorse increased joint steadiness and reduce probability of joint dislocation.
- Pain managing methods to deal with myofascial, soft tissue and constant joint pain connected with ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS
- Secure, efficient and effective transfers to evade excessive weight bearing or burden of lower edge joints in ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS.
Occupational Therapy for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS
Occupational therapy can help for people in managing ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS. Stimulating/ splinting in arrangement with rheumatologists, physical therapists and orthopedists to sponsor amplified joint strength & reduce probability of joint dislocation, specifically in vertebral joints & upper edge joints.
Ophthalmologist Aid in Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS
Ophthalmologist appointments to monitor for myopia, keratoconus and retinal tears are common management methods in patients with ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS.
Dentist Support in Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS
Appointments with dentist to monitor for periodontitis plus to highlight significance of thorough dental care in patients with ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS
Invasive Procedures for Managing Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or EDS
Invasive/ surgical further enveloping events are not certainly suggested in affected individuals by ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS as a method of main treatment owing to the damaged injury healing, amplified probability of blemishing, and amplified probability of rupture of the bloodvessels connected with ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS.
But, few subcategories of ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS, most particularly the typical and vascular subcategories of ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS acquire an amplified tendency to surgical problems contrast to the remaining.
- Arthroscopic debridement, capsulorraphy, arthroplasty and tendon relocations, and have been carried out on persons with ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS by rate of balance, patient satisfaction, pain relief, and overall enhancements being changeable and lower than in persons without ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS.
- Prolotherapy for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS is a process, in which additional irritants such as saline are inserted into the joint tendons / adjacent joints to construct irritation and succeeding blemish development in expectations of generating amplified stability to the soft tissue.
- An anesthetic / corticosteroid injection for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS is a process planned to address serious, localized sections of ache & irritation by instilling anti-inflammatory medications/solutions.
- Anesthetic nerve blocks for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS is a process where vaccination occurs to certain nerve by anesthetic medicine to impart temporary pain release resultant arising out of a neuropathic source
- Opioid treatment/ intrathecal anesthesia for ehlers danlos syndrome or EDS is a stable release of anesthetizing/ pain medicine to deal with the existence of constant ache & to lessen the necessity for oral medications.
- “The Ehlers-Danlos Syndromes: Clinical Presentation and Management” – American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics Link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28503705/
- “Ehlers-Danlos syndrome: current perspectives” – The Journal of Pain Research Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5983348/
- “Orthopedic management of the Ehlers-Danlos syndromes” – American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics Link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28500775/
- “Physiotherapy management of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome hypermobility type: a pilot randomized controlled trial” – Manual Therapy Link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23849547/
- “Physiotherapy for people with hypermobility spectrum disorder/Ehlers–Danlos syndrome hypermobility type: an international practice survey” – Musculoskeletal Science and Practice Link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32828403/