Can COPD be Reversed?
Amidst pollution prone weather condition and unhealthy lifestyle, COPD has become a common occurrence around the world. It is a medical condition whereby the patient faces trouble in normal breathing. In COPD, the airways to and from the lungs get partially blocked causing troublesome breathing. If the symptoms of the disease can be understood well, it can be controlled to a great extent. In many cases, researchers have found that the symptoms have been reversed permanently.
Can COPD be Reversed?
COPD is a non-curable condition and hence cannot be reversed; however, the condition can be managed effectively. The symptoms can be prevented from getting worse. The condition of COPD can be improved, and with some abrupt change in the lifestyle, the symptoms can be reversed. However, for this, one should know the primary causes of COPD which are as follows:
- Smoking is the primary cause of COPD. In several types of research related to the disease, it has been found that people who are regular smokers are at a greater risk of having COPD.
- People who need to stay in a dusty environment for a long time over a long period of time (at least 3-4 years) are susceptible to COPD.
- Some people inherit this disease of COPD though the symptoms are not viewable in childhood. People inheriting COPD show the symptoms at their 40s and 50s if they smoke and others show symptoms in their 70s and 80s.
- So, it is evident that smoking and living in a polluted environment have a close relationship with COPD.
Managing COPD by Changing Lifestyle
It is found that smoking is the most obvious cause of COPD in recent times. The second cause is living or working in a polluted area for a long time. So, in order to eliminate the symptoms of the disease, the smokers should quit smoking immediately. Quitting smoking has several other benefits too, like the nonsmokers with COPD do not develop lungs infection normally.
Apart from quitting smoking, the other necessary steps for all types of COPD affected patients are as follows:
- Living in a dusty room should be avoided as much as possible.
- People who need to stay in a polluted environment for a long time should take precautionary measures.
- If the living area is polluted air purifying gazettes should be used at home.
Some kinds of exercises are found to be effective in COPD. These exercises should be practiced under the expert supervision to maximize their effects on the body. Doctors will prescribe medicines like steroids and inhalers in order to alleviate the symptoms. These medicines should be taken regularly for the stated period.
As per the experts, the disease is not curable but can be controlled to a large extent. Above mentioned measures, especially quitting smoking, staying safe in a dusty environment, and regular exercise can work wonder with any patient troubles with COPD.
- Hypoxia in COPD: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Complications
- COPD: Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Treatments, Stages, Life Expectancy, Surgery, Home Treatment
- 14 Ways to Prevent COPD from Worsening
- Long-Acting Inhaler May Help in Early Stage COPD, Too
- Nearly 4 Million Worldwide Die Each Year From Asthma, COPD