Hemoptysis or bloody sputum should be diagnosed early in an impeccable manner and in depth diagnosis plays a major role in treating hemoptysis or bloody sputum. In this section of the article you will read about the treatment for hemoptysis or bloody sputum, recovery, prevention, prognosis and yoga poses for hemoptysis or bloody sputum.
Treatment for Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum
Mild cases of hemoptysis or bloody sputum should be examined carefully to find the underlying problem that can become life threatening of left untreated. Doctors are clueless whether the mild problem would snowball into a major one in the near future.
Massive case of hemoptysis or bloody sputum can result in death due to the lack of oxygen in the body and abundance of carbon dioxide. Doctors try to control the bleeding or aim to localize the source to save life of the patient. Surgical resection combined with laser therapy could deliver sterling results to the victims of hemoptysis or bloody sputum.
Antibiotics are administered to the patient suffering from mild or even massive cases of hemoptysis or bloody sputum. Bronchogenic carcinoma is treated based on the extent of the infection.
Chronic hemoptysis or bloody sputum can be treated sometime by the use of antibiotics in an impeccable manner. If the patient is suffering from other types of diseases, the doctors may administer aggressive treatment.
Embolization to rectify the anomalies of bronchial artery is one of the popular techniques that incorporate the injection of the liquid substance in the body to inhibit the blood supply. The injection plays an important role in saving the life of the patient but can also cause complications in hemoptysis or bloody sputum.
Surgical resection leads to the elimination of the tissues that can cause instances of hemoptysis or bloody sputum. It is considered as an important treatment for the hemoptysis or bloody sputum which is caused due to aspergilloma.
Laser therapy is used to eliminate tumors accompanied by lesions. It is also used to expand the respiratory tract. The advantages and the disadvantages of the different techniques are based on the skill sets of the medical specialists. Physician along with surgeon and radiologist conduct the operation.
Follow-up for Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum
If the infection is severe, patients should regularly follow-up with the doctors. Mild instances of hemoptysis or bloody sputum should be treated with antibiotic or more aggressive technique is required in case of acute infection. If the doctors are able to diagnose the underlying reason behind the disease, it is important to monitor the whole range of symptoms for a couple of years even when the treatment is completed. X-rays of the chest should be performed on a regular basis.
Surgery for Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum
Coughing up of the blood, if severe and life-threatening, may require surgery to remove a lung (pneumonectomy).
Home Remedies for Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum
Cough suppressants are the major home remedies for hemoptysis or bloody sputum. For minor or mild cases of hemoptysis or bloody sputum which is caused by bronchitis, cough suppressants might be carried out with the help of the doctors. It is vital to monitor the blood that occurs in the cough.
- Amount of blood in the mucus
- Dizziness is the indication of the blood loss.
- Fever accompanied by chest pain can also be an important symptom.
Recovery Period/Healing Time for Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum
Recovery period/healing time for hemoptysis or bloody sputum depends on the skill set of the doctors and the mode of the treatment. They can provide the estimated time for recuperation from the disease and also the possibility of recurrence.
What if the Patient Fails to Recover?
Individuals who are not able to eliminate the disease of hemoptysis or bloody sputum within the given time frame should try to understand the disease in great detail:
- What are the reasons for the occurrence of hemoptysis or bloody sputum?
- Bleeding type?
- Is bronchoscopy effective in finding the exact source of bleeding?
- What is the underlying problem impacting recovery process?
- Recurrence of bleeding?
- Is the source properly identified?
- Has individual undergone the pulmonary rehabilitation program?
- Impact of the procedure in resolving the bleeding issue?
- Correlation between hemoptysis or bloody sputum and the underlying cause of treatment.
- Does the bleeding problem require more aggressive treatment?
- Role of specialists in pulmonary issue treatment
- How underlying problem can affect recuperation process?
Prevention of Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum
Some of the steps that can be taken to prevent hemoptysis or bloody sputum are as follows:
Stop Smoking to Prevent Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum: Smoking should be stopped to control the instances of hemoptysis or bloody sputum. It can create lung infection.
Alcohol and Diet Plays Major Role in Preventing Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum: Alcohol should be shunned to protect the lungs and digestive system from hemoptysis.
- If you drink alcohol, do not exceed the recommended daily limits (three to four units a day for men and two to three units a day for women).
- Alcohol needs to be consumed in controlled amounts and within the prescribed limit.
- Balanced diet would go a long way in improving the immune system.
Vaccinations can Play a Crucial Role in Preventing Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum: If you want advanced protection against hemoptysis, it is important to get the vaccines that would help to combat flu as well as pneumonia. Vaccines can be useful for:
- Babies along with young children
- Flu jab can be useful for pregnant females
- People who are more than 65 years of age
- People suffering from deficient immune system.
Ability to Work (Return to Work Considerations): Patients suffering from bouts of breathlessness can benefit greatly by resting between the tasks during job.
Prognosis/Outlook for Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum
The prognosis/outlook for majority of the victims of hemoptysis or bloody sputum is good. Majority of the patients suffering from hemoptysis or bloody sputum get treated and can recuperate quickly. Less than 2% of the patients suffer from the massive case of hemoptysis or bloody sputum. People having underlying cause as cancer are prone to higher mortality rate. Patients suffering from bleeding also experience lots of problems.
The prognosis of the embolization of bronchial artery & surgery rely upon on the magnitude of the underlying illness being administered. Complexity of respiratory failure, infection and bleeding could lead to death.
Artery embolization accompanied by the surgery to treat the underlying problem may cause complications such as infection or even excessive bleeding. Respiratory issues might result in death.
Yoga for Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum
Yoga Pranayam Breathing Techniques for Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum
Yoga pranayam breathing techniques is one essential part of the entire yoga system that mainly teaches you the art associated with extending of breath in various ways. While practicing of yoga pranayama for hemoptysis or bloody sputum, a person should essentially inhale, retain and exhale the breath in skillful way. It teaches a person to change his or her rate, depth and breathing pattern. Yoga pranayam breathing techniques for hemoptysis or bloody sputum is very helpful if the goal is to improve respiratory system.
Early morning is obviously the best time to practice yoga pranayama for hemoptysis or bloody sputum, specifically outside of the home, where a person finds fresh air. Experts always recommend for doing breathing exercises on empty stomach.
Here, you will get a detailed list of two basic techniques related to practicing breathing and postures of yoga to improve respiratory system in hemoptysis or bloody sputum. Go for deep yogic breaths and use lungs to the highest possible capacity. In addition, it is essential for you to learn about the correct way of taking breath.
Nadi Shodhan Pranayam for Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum that Refers to the Technique of Taking Breath Via Alternate Nostrils
A person should start this yoga pranayama or breathing technique to calm his or her mind and relieve the body accumulated with huge amount of stress. Stress can directly affect the immune system and in order to improve your respiratory system you should start practicing nadi shodhan pranayam. This type of breathing technique has found a big healing effect on large numbers of respiratory problems which are seen in hemoptysis or bloody sputum.
Kapal Bhati Pranayam for Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum (Breathing Technique that leads to Shining Skull)
Kapal bhati pranayam or breathing technique for hemoptysis or bloody sputum primarily gives relaxation to human mind and gives energy to individual’s nervous system. Even it clears energy channels call as nadis and boosts circulation of blood which can aid in improving respiratory system.
Yoga Poses for Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum
Yoga poses/asanas can help in strengthening the lungs and respiratory organs in a great way and eliminate the recurrence of hemoptysis or bloody sputum. The below yoga poses/ asanas should be practiced only once you are completely recovered from hemoptysis or bloody sputum and under the guidance of a yoga teacher.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (Sitting half spinal twist) for hemoptysis or bloody sputum. Twisting of the one half of the spine can enhance the oxygen supply. It plays an important role in treating lung related problems and also strengthens the respiratory tract.
- Setu Bandhasana or (Bridge pose) for hemoptysis or bloody sputum will aid in the treatment of the respiratory tract as well as other issues for the patients who are suffering from respiratory illness.
- Bhujangasana or (Cobra pose) for hemoptysis or bloody sputum is responsible for enhancing the circulation of the blood in the body and majorly the cobra pose strengthens the lungs which can help in preventing the recurrence of hemoptysis or bloody sputum.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana or (Downward-facing dog pose) for hemoptysis or bloody sputum eliminates the stress in an impeccable manner and improves the blood supply throughout the body especially in the upper part of the body.
- Badhakonasana or (Butterfly pose) for hemoptysis or bloody sputum enhances the blood supply and relieves the stress to a great extent. Relieving stress will enhance the immune system and thus strengthens the organs of the body such as lungs and respiratory tract.
- Poorvottanasana or (Upward plank pose) for hemoptysis or bloody sputum helps to enhance the respiratory system along with the functioning of the thyroid gland and also increase the strength of the back as well as spine.
- Shavasana or (Corpse pose) for hemoptysis or bloody sputum is essential to regain the meditative posture as it goes a long way in the reduction of anxiety as well as extra pressure.
The yoga session should be conducted if you are not feeling pain in the body. Practicing under the supervision of trainers is essential to get the desired results. One should also take 20 minutes break after each pose. Consult the doctor prior to starting the session.
- Hemoptysis or Bloody Sputum: Types, Symptoms, Complications, Diagnosis
- Causes of Hemoptysis or What Can Cause Blood in Sputum?