Earache or Ear Pain can occur from a variety of causes. Earache or Ear Pain due to cold can be dull or sharp in nature. It can be a mild pain or severe pain, which can wake you up from sleep. If the cause of earache is infection, then it is also accompanied by fever. Earache or Ear Pain in children is especially troublesome, as the child cries nonstop and becomes very restless, irritated, doesn't eat anything, and it becomes very tedious for parents to deal with them.
The human ear consists of 3 main regions which are known as outer ear, middle ear and inner ear. All these three regions help in hearing. Other than this, the inner ear helps with coordination and balance also.
We have given below a glimpse of the types of ear conditions which we have covered in our website, their causes, symptoms and treatment. To know more in detail about them, please refer to our topic "EARACHE OR EAR PAIN INFORMATION CENTER" on the left side menu where you will find everything. Moreover, we have also given some tried and tested HOME REMEDIES FOR EAR PAIN, which we are sure you will find extremely useful, especially in emergencies, such as having earache in the middle of the night. So, keep on reading to know more.
Also known as Fungal Ear Infection or Otomycosis or Mycotic Otitis Externa or Singapore Ear is a fungal infection of the outer ear. There are various fungal species responsible for this condition, but commonly occurs due to the fungi Aspergillus or Candida. Common causes include bathing or swimming in contaminated water and persistent usage of antibacterial medicine. Symptoms comprise of pain in the ear, swelling, itchiness, redness, discharge from the ear, problems with hearing and many more. Treatment comprises of cleaning the fungus from the affected ear and using anti-fungal eardrops. To read more in detail about symptoms, treatment and home remedies for this condition, please refer to our left side menu under the topic "EAR FUNGUS OR OTOMYCOSIS."
Piercing the ears is a tradition which is as old as the hills. It is done as a style statement, and in some cultures, for religious purposes. However, this method makes the ear more prone to infection and is actually one of the common infections suffered today.
- Causes include using unsterilized or unhygienic tools to pierce the ear.
- Frequently touching the pierced ear lobes with unhygienic, unclean or unwashed hands.
- Wearing tight earrings or other binding material over the ears, which restrict the blood flow thus making the ear lobes more susceptible to infections.
- Some people have an allergic reaction to the material which is used for piercing the ear resulting in infection.
Symptoms include redness, itching and presence of pus. Treatment consists of cleaning the area and applying topical antibiotics.
Children suffer from ear infection and pain frequently. The causes for this are many, some of which include:
- Bacterial or viral ear infection.
- Foreign body in the ear.
- Sinus infection.
- Build up of ear wax.
- Perforated eardrum.
- Pain due to which children frequently cry and touch their ears.
- Discharge from the ear.
- Hearing problems.
Treatment depends on the cause of the infection and includes antibiotics for infection, pain killers such as paracetamol, warm compresses or ice packs. Please refer to our topic, "EAR PAIN IN CHILDREN," on the left side menu for detailed information on the causes, symptoms, investigations, treatment along with home remedies for this condition.
Our ears have a thin layer of tissue known as tympanic membrane or eardrum, which protects the middle and inner ear from the harmful external surroundings. The function of the eardrum is transmitting the vibrations from the external ear to the ossicles, which are the small hearing bones, located in the middle ear. Due to the fragile nature of the tympanic membrane, it is prone to rupture which in turn makes the middle and inner ear vulnerable to infection or any injury.
- Injury or trauma
- Loud noises
- Sudden pressure changes.
- Falling and landing on the side of the head.
- Ear pain
- Loss of hearing.
- Bloody or mucus ear discharge.
Serious symptoms Include: High grade fever, neck stiffness, severe headache, weakness/ numbness of face, arms, or legs, problem in opening the mouth or talking, continuous vomiting, sleepiness and vision changes.
Treatment consists of antibiotics for infection, pain killers and surgery for severe cases. For more detailed information, please refer to our left side menu under the topic "PERFORATED EARDRUM."
We have covered lot of home remedies and other natural methods for treating ear conditions. Given below are some of them so that you have an idea as to what we have.
- For earache, instilling a few drops of warm olive oil gives you relief.
- Instilling a few drops of fresh onion juice is beneficial for pus discharge due to ear infection.
- Garlic contains natural antibiotic and anti-inflammatory ingredients and is highly beneficial in treating ear pain and ear infection. It can be used by steeping garlic in olive oil and instilling 2-3 drops in the affected ear.
- Baby oil and mineral oil can be used to soften the ear wax.
For more information, please refer under the heading "EARACHE OR EAR PAIN INFORMATION CENTER" on the left side menu.
Other Ear Diseases & Conditions Which are Covered in This Section:
- Bug In Ear
- Otitis Externa or Swimmer’s Ear
- Cauliflower Ear or Hematoma Auris
- Ear Ache? Know Its Causes and 16 Natural Treatments
- Earache Remedies: Top 10 Household Ingredients
- Sore Throat and Ear Pain
- What Causes Ear Pain in Flight or Airplane Ear?
- Cerumen Impaction or Impacted Ear Wax
- Glue Ear or Otitis Media With Effusion (OME)
- Otitis Media or Infection of Middle Ear
- Labyrinthitis or Inner Ear Infection
- What is Balance Disorder?