6 Best Exercises for Turkey Neck
Turkey Neck is a common condition in which the skin around the area of the jaw and neck loses its elasticity and it looks as if it is hanging in there. This is a source of embarrassment for many people due to how the face looks cosmetically as a result of Turkey Neck.
Turkey Neck results from a combination of excess fat around the neck region, loose skin around the neck and muscle weakness around it. Turkey Neck also is a sign of an individual growing in age. The major cause for an individual having Turkey Neck is the collagen loss from the skin around the neck region resulting in the skin around the neck to lose its elasticity resulting in development of Turkey Neck. Aging is another common reason for development of Turkey Neck. Sudden weight loss due to any abnormal medical condition can also result in development of Turkey Neck.
Turkey Neck is a condition which can be treated with surgery with considerable success but there are some very effective exercises which go a long way in getting rid of Turkey Neck. There are certain neck exercises which have been delineated below which help Turkey Neck immensely if performed regularly. They may not eliminate Turkey Neck completely but help in tighten the skin around the neck and improve the muscle tone around the neck so that the individual looks more presentable.
6 Best Exercises for Turkey Neck
Some of the exercises which help Turkey Neck are:
- Upward Facing Dog Pose Exercise for Turkey Neck: This is a yoga pose which is quite effective in dealing with Turkey Neck. It helps tone up the entire neck and jaw region and gets rid of excess fat around the region. It is an easy exercise to do and can be done at home whenever you can. To do this exercise, lie down facing the floor. Now slowly lift yourself up using your forearms. The elbows must be positioned right beneath the shoulders in a straight line. Now push the body up in a manner that it forms a reverse "C" position. Tilt the chin out and maintain this position for about half a minute. Do this about 10 times a day.
- Fish Face Pose Exercise for Turkey Neck: This Exercise is also quite effective in getting rid of turkey neck. To do this exercise, sit in a comfortable chair keeping the shoulders relaxed and back straight. Look up as much as you can while pointing the chin upwards. Now slowly move the lower lip towards the upper lip so as to cover it completely. By doing this, you will feel tightness around the muscles in the neck region. Maintain this position for about 10 seconds and repeat it about 10 times for optimum results.
- 'Chewing Gum' Exercise for Turkey Neck: This is perhaps the best exercise for Turkey Neck and also the easiest one. All you have to do is think that you are chewing a gum and move your mouth like that. Turn your head leftwards as much as you can while doing this exercise. Do this about 15 times a day. Try and do this by moving the neck to the left and then to the right. The muscles of the jaw get stretched along with the muscles of the neck and chin.
- Tongue Pressure Exercise: This is also quite an effective exercise for Turkey Neck. To do this exercise, you need to relax your shoulders and sit in a comfortable position. Look up as much as you can and keep your face muscles relaxed and mouth closed. Now press the tongue firmly on the mouth's roof while also flexing the muscles of the neck located right below the jaw. Now try to bring the chin down towards the chest all the while maintaining the tongue pressure. Do this about 10 times a day.
- Tongue Circle Exercise: This exercise is also very easy to do and can be done at leisure to help turkey neck. To do this exercise, sit down on a chair with the mouth closed. Now move the tongue in circles first to the right side about 15 times and then the left side about 15 times. Repeat this about 5 times a day.
- Lip Pursing: This exercise is also quite effective in dealing with Turkey Neck and can be done at home at any time. To do this exercise, sit on a chair with back straight. Now purse the lips as far as possible while also extending the chin in front so that a stretch is felt on the neck muscles and they become tight. Maintain this position for about 15 seconds. Come back to normal position and then repeat the same for about 10 times every day.
In summary, the above exercises are quite easy to do and can be done at any time of the day. You can also do these whenever you are free in your office. These exercises not only tone the neck muscle up but also tighten up the neck muscles which help greatly in getting rid of Turkey Neck but for optimum results these exercises need to be performed on a daily basis and diligently. You may not see the results immediately but if you practice these exercises every day diligently then within no time you will start to see the results and will see a better you cosmetically that what you were before you started to do the exercises and in no time you will be free of being embarrassed due to having Turkey Neck.