Pelvic exercises are associated with Kegel exercises. These are popularly practicsed to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles and are often advised as a part of pre-natal and post-natal yoga. This article deals with the benefits of Kegel exercises, how to perfrom them and about comfortable wear for Kegel exercises.
Benefits Of Kegel Exercises
It helps in relax and squeeze the muscles around the genital areas. Pre-natal yoga Kegel exercises have been popular since many years and are very useful for women before as well as after the childbirth. As there are many benefits of Kegel exercises, they are advised during prenatal and postnatal care. The best part is that you need not to join any gym to train these pelvic muscles; you can simply do these Kegel exercises at home as well.
Here are some of the most effective benefits of Kegel exercises.
- Enhanced Bladder Control – Some women face the problem of urine leakage during pregnancy or after delivery. Urinary incontinence or lack of bladder control, which causes leakage of urine is an embarrassing condition and is very difficult to manage. It is mostly seen in women after vaginal delivery or in women having multiple deliveries. One of the major benefits of Kegel exercises is that when performed regularly, they can help improve bladder control and prove effective in managing problem of urine leakage before or after delivery.
- Strengthen Pelvic Organ Support – Vaginal childbirth is one the most important factor responsible for the weakening of the pelvic organs. Apart from medical treatment doctors usually recommend exercises. These exercises, when performed regularly help to enhance the strength of pelvic floor muscles and increase the efficiency of the related parts. This too is one of the important benefits of Kegel exercises.
- Reducing the Risk of Bowel Incontinence – Weak pelvic floor muscles and certain conditions or injuries related to childbirth can result in involuntary leakage of stools. One of the noteworthy benefits of Kegel exercises is that it can reduce the risk of bowel incontinence by strenthing the muscles supporting the pelvis.
How to Perform Kegel Exercises?
There is no hard and fast rule for the Kegel exercises and they are simple to perform. When done in the right manner, the chances of reaping the benefits are high. Here are the basic steps to perform Kegel exercises.
Before attempting the exercise one must make sure that your body and mind must be comfortable to perform Kegel exercises. Although the exercises are simple, they must be slowly performed with proper co-ordination.
Kegel exercises focus on working out particular muscles to strengthen the pelvic floor, hence, knowing the right muscles is important. To find the correct muscle, one has to insert the clean finger inside the vagina, it squeezes the muscles one would use to hold in gas. If it feels like tightening the finger, it means you are on the right track.
The muscles tightened during these exercises make you feel as if you are holding the flow of urine. These are the muscles that support the pelvic floor, hence must be strengthened. If you are not confident you can seek help from an expert and perform Kegel exercises under supervision.
Kegel exercises include holding these msucles and relaxing them in a structured manner that helps to strengthen them.
Here some Kegel exercises which are useful for the pregnant women and are commonly advised for pre and post natal care.
- Long Hold. In this, one has to squeeze the pelvic muscles. One can do it as many times as possible. It can definitely strengthen and support the muscles effectively.
- Contract and Release. Instantly tighten and relax the pelvic muscles numerous times in a row.
- Increases Intensity. These Exercises helps to enhance the intensity of muscles. In starting you found it difficult to do many times but slowly and steadily when you practice numerous times you will get better results.
Comfortable Wear for Kegel Exercises
To do the Kegel exercises one must wear comfortable clothes which make one feel relaxed and can perform exercises easily. In this modern scenario, as women are more conscious about their physical fitness, hence the popularity of Kegel exercises is increasing. It is very beneficial thing for them to maintain good health even after baby.
However, comfortable wear for Kegel exercises is necessary to ensure ease of performing with better benefits. One must have to wear the perfect dress for the same. Try to avoid layering of clothes as they can be uncomfortable. Loose and comfortable fitting clothese that make one look smart and yet can freely move are best preferred. It is good that the modern day women are concerned about their health, fitness and their appearance. Apart from comfortable wear, colors also makes the difference. One must always choose colors that perfectly suit one’s personality to feel positive and energetic while perfroming Kegel exercises. Ample of varieties are available in the market for the yoga dresses one must buy which fits and suits you well.
Points to Remember for Kegel Exercise
- Dont overdo, Kegel exercises are best performed in a relaxed and focused state. But one must do according to one’s own capacity.
- Don’t hold your breath while doing exercise. Try to keep your muscles, mind, and body relaxed i.e. do not strain.
- Kegel exercises work best when performed regularly. If you have any confusion or any issues regarding Kegel exercises you can seek help from experts or use online resoruces and apps, if appropriate.
- As some women find it difficult, taking help from the trainers is advisable.
Kegel exercises are particularly advised as pre-natal and post-natal care, hence it is important to consult the doctor regarding the health status and overall condition before beginging with the exercises.
These are the various ways in which Kegel exercises are performed. After knowing the benefits of Kegel exercises one can surely plan to perform these regularly. By choosing comfortable wear for Kegel exerices one looks confident as well as energetic which increases positivity and reaps better benefits.