Exercise is very much essential for individuals suffering from varying degrees of multiple sclerosis. Because of this, it is essential for you to learn about the mentioned best exercises to deal with your multiple sclerosis condition and collect information on various ways to boost your coordination levels, strength and achieve a perfect balance.
What Is The Best Exercise For Multiple Sclerosis?
Water Aerobics/Aqua Zumba And Cardio Workout
Swimming pool-based physical exercises have proved to be one of the excellent physical activities for all individuals suffering from the problem of multiple sclerosis. Another best thing in this case is that you get plenty of options depending on your individual choice. These include, water waking, swimming, water aerobics and aqua Zumba and many more to adopt to manage your mild, moderate or severe MS symptoms. (1)
Wall Squat Strength Training Exercise
Next, you should definitely include strength-training exercises as important part of the multiple sclerosis exercise plan. Particularly, you should focus on wall squats to strength the leg muscles. Accordingly-
- You should stand at a distance of about a foot from any wall and by keeping your back towards it.
- You should lean back to make your torso, shoulders and hips in flat position against the respective wall.
- To start your exercise, you should slide downward the wall slowly, bend your knees and keep the upper body in flat position against the respective wall to make thighs almost parallel to the ground.
- Hold your position for a period of 5 seconds and push with the legs to return to your standing/starting position.
You should start by only 5 reps until and unless you become familiar with the body movement and the extent, up to which you should slide and continue to push up.
Planks As Effective Core Strengthening Exercises
Planks act as effective exercises to strengthen the core muscles i.e. the obliques, the abdomen and the back area. To perform this exercise, you should-
- Lie on an exercise mat or on the ground with your face towards downward direction.
- Prop up on toes and elbows by keeping the body in straight position from your head crown towards the toes.
- Your elbows should remain beneath your shoulders directly.
- Tilt the pelvis and contract the abdominal muscles to avoid sticking up your rear portion and hold for about 10seconds.
- Go back to your starting position and rest for another 10 seconds.
- You have to repeat the procedure for about 3 times to 5 times, while increase to 20seconds gradually, as you get enough strength.
Bridge Exercise To Achieve Multiple Muscles Conditioning
Bridge exercise to manage multiple sclerosis symptoms is perfect to achieve conditioning of butt muscles, legs, lower back area and abdominal muscles. To perform this-
- You should lie on the back by keeping your arms at sides.
- Bring the feet towards your butt by keeping your feet in flat position over the floor.
- Later on, you should contract your muscles across the stomach area; pull the belly button towards the spine.
- Tighten the butt muscles and exhale while you lift the hips. You should make sure forming a diagonal line at the top of your body movement starting from your knees towards your chest.
- You should pause and inhale while you return to your initial position
- You should perform 10 to 12 reps.
March In Your Position via Balance Training
Balance training is very much essential to deal with your multiple sclerosis condition. When you opt to march in a particular place, you will challenge the physical balance by simply shifting your bodyweight sideways.
- Stand by keeping your abdominal muscles in firm state. If required, you should use a chair or counter to make yourself steady.
- Slowly bend the right knee and raise the right foot from the floor.
- In this way, you have to bring the legs to marching position, while your thigh should remain parallel to the ground.
- You should hold for about three to five second and lower your leg slowly.
- Repeat the same procedure with the left leg.
- You have to perform 5 reps and switch to the right leg.
- Treatments for Multiple Sclerosis & List of Medications to Treat MS
- How is Transverse Myelitis Connected to Multiple Sclerosis?
- What Kind Of Pain Does Multiple Sclerosis Cause?
- Can You Die From Multiple Sclerosis?
- Can Multiple Sclerosis Be Cured?
- Complications Of Multiple Sclerosis
- Can Multiple Sclerosis Be Cured By Diet?