Can a Chiropractor Help with Headaches?
Chiropractic treatments are known to be effective in treating certain medical conditions when treated by a good chiropractor. So let us actually talk on the topic, "Can a chiropractor help with headaches?".
Can a Chiropractor Help with Headaches?
Examination done by the chiropractor to diagnose the cause for your headache may include doing an x-ray for actual evaluation of the headache; and then the treatment performed by the chiropractor based on the cause of the headache. If the cause of your headache is related to problems with your spine, then the chiropractor may make use of skilled, gentle manipulations so as to adjust the spine and treat the condition leading to headache in you.
It is known that chiropractic treatment and care can help you prevent certain unnecessary tension or irritations in the neck and head which may lead to headaches. With chiropractic adjustments or specific spinal manipulations, in some instance a chiropractor can actually provide instant relief to the victims of headache. There are various causes for headaches and every headache may require special type of treatment from the chiropractor.
Success Rate of Chiropractic Treatment For Headache
- It is known that chiropractic treatments have a higher success rate of about approximately 90% in case if the cause is cervicogenic or the ones originating in the neck, shoulders and spine and leading to tension headaches.
- Migraine headaches which are caused due to other non-spinal factors that may trigger migraines; have a success rate of 70% when treated by the chiropractors.
Chiropractic Treatments for Headaches
Now, let us take a look on the kinds of treatments your chiropractor may adopt so as to help you with headaches.
- The chiropractor will perform various spinal adjustments and movements, mostly with his or her hands. These adjustments are specially designed to correct indentified problems and allow you to regain movements and also reduce headaches along with other associated pain.
- The chiropractor would also provide appropriate stretches and exercises so as to help you improve posture which may also be a cause for headaches.
- The treatments from a chiropractor would specifically focus on the neck region; however in certain cases other underlying areas of concern within the spine may also be dealt with.
- Some other treatments your chiropractor may follow or let you know about, so as to help with headaches may include soft tissue therapy, trigger point massage to the affected muscle groups, Ice and heat treatments to the inflamed joints or tight muscles if they may be one of the factors for the headaches, stress management and relaxation therapy, posture assessment etc.
Chiropractic and Massage Approach for Headaches
- Chiropractic treatments along with appropriate massage are known to be a drugless, natural and effective measure for headaches. Chiropractors can give a good results in getting rid of headaches as they are the healing experts trained to analyze and correct the vertebral subluxation complex or a spinal distortion that can damage your nerves, cause muscles to tighten and knot, inflame your tissue, weaken your body, lead to fatigue or set the stage for sickness and disease.
- Massage addresses the tension headaches by relaxing the neck, shoulders and the upper back. Massage provides the relaxation one actually wants. As you relax, you soften the muscles and headaches disappear. Tension headaches can be addressed by massage. Chiropractors can help you get rid of sinus headaches with face massage. A chiropractic and massage approach may also help you in getting rid of migraine headaches.
Some Related FAQs on Chiropractic Treatment and Headaches:
How Long Does it Take for Headaches to go Away with Chiropractic Treatments?
Now, though some patients with headaches may find effective results on an instant basis after the treatments by a good chiropractor, yet others may notice a slow and slight decline in the symptoms of the headaches after several weeks or longer following a chiropractic treatments. It may take time if one has chronic headaches for many years. So, it usually is impossible to predict how long does it take for headaches to go away with chiropractic treatments.
Does One Require Any Further Help From Chiropractor After the Headache Has Been Treated?
It usually happens that our body continues to heal after the pain or headache has gone. So, continuing to have the treatments from chiropractor may help you retrain your vertebrae so as to hold their healthy position. Your nervous system will function in a more efficient manner and your body will be a better able to heal itself. So exercise on time, a healthy diet and periodic visits to your chiropractor will help you remain healthy, pain free and have a satisfying life with a properly healed body.