It is important to read and follow all the guidelines that are printed on the package and label of ibrance or palbociclib. It is also important to tell your doctor about all the other medical conditions you are experiencing such as allergies and also the treatment and medicines you are taking.
How Effective is Ibrance?
Ibrance is also known as palbociclib which is a medicine for effective cancer treatment that helps to control and prevent the growth of cancer cells. Ibrance or palbociclib also interferes with the spread of these cells as well.
Ibrance or palbociclib is used both in women and men. In women, it is used for the effective treatment of advanced breast cancer which in normal cases would spread throughout the body.
Ibrance or palbociclib is also given to women during their postmenopausal stage with combination of letrozole otherwise known as Femara which is a hormonal medicine. For others, the medicine is given with the combination of fulvestrant also known as Faslodex.
Follow this Procedure Before Taking This Medicine:
If allergic to ibrance or palbociclib, do not take this medicine. Tell your doctor if you have these medical conditions to make the medicine safe for you
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease.
If pregnant do not take ibrance or palbociclib as there are chances of the medicine harming the unborn baby. It is necessary you take effective birth control pills especially when you are on treatment and also for the next weeks after the final dosage is taken. Also, before starting this treatment you must have a negative pregnancy test.
It is not confirmed if ibrance or palbociclib gets in to breast milk which could harm the child. Therefore, while on this treatment do not breast feed your child.
How to Take Ibrance?
Ibrance or palbociclib has to be taken only with a doctor’s approval and at prescribed levels. It is important to follow all the guidelines mentioned in the label and package. There are possibilities for your doctor to alter the dosages from time to time to give you best results. Also, take the medicine only at prescribed dosage and not in smaller or larger amounts.
Ibrance or palbociclib is given during a 28 days treatment cycle. However the medicine will be given only during the first three weeks of the treatment cycle. It is your doctor who will decide how much medicine you need for your treatment.
- Take the medicine with food
- It is important to take ibrance or palbociclib at the same time every day
- Swallow the whole capsule without breaking, chewing or crushing it
- In case you vomit after taking the medicine it is important to wait until the next day to have the next dosage.
- If your pill is damaged or broken do not have it
- This medicine has properties of lowering your blood cells those responsible to fighting infections in the body and also might clot blood. This means you can bleed easily with small injuries and you can also fall ill when with people who are unwell. Blood tests must be taken very often while on this treatment.
Ibrance or palbociclib has to be kept away from heat and moisture and stored at room temperature.
What is the Suggested Dosage of Ibrance?
Breast Cancer Ibrance or Palbociclib Dosage for Adults:
28 day treatment cycle – ibrance or palbociclib dosage has to be taken once in a day for 21 days at 125 milligrams orally and then followed by 7 days without treatment.
- You can take this medicine along with food and with letrozole 2.5 milligrams dosage one time in a day orally during the 28 days treatment cycle.
- Ibrance or palbociclib can be taken along with letrozole to treat postmenopausal women with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-negative, estrogen receptor- positive, for advanced breast cancer such as first endocrine therapy treatment.
What are the Side Effects of Ibrance?
If you experience any symptoms of allergic reaction to his medicine get immediate assistance. In most cases, allergic reactions would be swelling of tongue, face, throat, lips.
If you experience any of these problems caused by ibrance or palbociclib get immediate help:
- Purple or red pinpoint spots under skin, unusual bleeding (vagina, mouth, rectum, nose),
- Swollen or red gums, ulcers or blisters in mouth, difficulty in swallowing
- Anemia or Low red blood cell – felling light headed – light passing out, pale skin, trouble focusing, short of breath, unusual heart rate
- Low while blood cells – difficulty in breathing, pain while swallowing, fever, flu or cold symptoms, painful mouth sores, swollen gums, cough
- Symptoms of blood clot in lungs – wheezing, sudden cough, rapid breathing, chest pain, coughing up blood
If these side effects occur, your doctor would permanently stop cancer treatment or delay treatment to learn your case better
Most of the other side effects of ibrance or palbociclib are:
- Decreased sense of taste, mouth sores
- Abnormal liver function
- Numbness, burning in feet, hands, legs, arms,
- Vomiting, loss of appetite, nausea, diarrhea
- Feeling tired, weakness
- Temporary hair loss, dry skin
- Sneezing, stuffy nose, sore throat, cold symptoms are also the side effects of ibrance or palbociclib.
Other Medicines that Can Affect Ibrance
There are many medicines that can affect ibrance or palbociclib or even cause side effects. There are medicines that are available over the counter or even prescribed medicines such as herbal products, vitamins that can affect. Therefore it is very important to tell your doctor about your complete health history and all the medicines you are currently taking.