Osteochondritis Dissecans refer to a joint problem and it takes place whenever a bone area present below the cartilage piece in the joint dies. This condition takes place due to blood supply loss to a specific area. Osteochondritis Dissecans cause a thin bone layer and loosening of the cartilage to break easily. The loose piece stays in its place or falls within the joint space. This makes your joint unstable. The condition causes mild to severe pain and feelings, as sticking of joints or giving way of joints. Osteochondritis Dissecans mainly takes place in the knees. However, it may even take place in shoulders, ankles, elbows, hips, and other joints. The problem is common in adolescents and children.(1)
How Long Will It Take To Recover From Osteochondritis Dissecans?
Osteochondritis Dissecans disease usually takes place in the ankles, elbows, and knees. The problem needs a period of 3months or even more to heal completely. Moreover, the healing or recovery period also depends on whether a person is one of the young children, old one, or adult. Accordingly, Osteochondritis Dissecans in the case of young kids heals with proper rest, as their bones continue to grow. In adults and old children, the effects of the underlying disease would be highly severe.
Regardless of the age and symptoms, if Osteochondritis Dissecans condition heals completely, patients no longer experience any lasting problem. Moreover, if we talk about the recovery from the condition based on returning to regular physical activities and/or sports, children may return to their sports and other similar activities after only 2months to 4months period.(3)(4)
Symptoms Of Osteochondritis Dissecans
Depending on the affected joint or joints, you will experience the following signs and symptoms related to Osteochondritis Dissecans.
- Pain is a common symptom related to the condition, which causes mainly because of physical activities, like climbing hill or steps, walking upstairs, and playing certain sports. Swelling and tenderness of the skin take place across your affected joint.
- Your joint may lock, pop or stick in a specific position in the case a loose fragment caught between two different bones at the time of movement.
- You may experience your joints as weakening or giving way.
- You may fail to make your affected limb straight properly or suffer from a reduced range of body motion. (2)
To conclude, we should say that a patient suffering from Osteochondritis Dissecans needs approximately a 3 months period to achieve complete recovery.
- What is Osteochondritis Dissecans of Knee Joint and How is it Treated?
- Osteochondritis or Osteochondritis Dissecans: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment