Hematuria means the presence of red blood cells in the urine. The urine appears pinkish, reddish brown or dark colored. It can be visible by naked eyes and called gross hematuria. When blood pigments are too small to be seen only under a microscope, then this type of hematuria is called microscopic hematuria. It rarely represents any symptoms. Other symptoms that are present other than bloody urine can be symptoms of its underlying causes. Hematuria is harmless in the majority of cases. It gets cured by itself in 24 hours to 48 hours when the underlying cause resolves. Hematuria can be managed efficiently with treatment options available in modern medicine.
Can You Be Cured Of Hematuria?
Yes, hematuria can be cured. In most of the cases of hematuria, it resolves by itself in one or two days. It depends on the underlying cause. If the underlying cause is detected perfectly, then hematuria can be treated efficiently. The treatment of hematuria can be done by following ways:
- If hematuria is without any other symptom and exercises or strenuous activity is the probable cause especially in children, in whom no other reasons are detected, then, such activities should be restricted. No treatment is required in such cases, it gets cured by itself.
- If children are prone to develop swelling or edema due to kidney diseases like nephritis, and then diet management becomes necessary. For such patients, low sodium diet with high calcium especially for growing children is recommended. It will help in clearing hematuria too.
- If the blood is traced or seen in the urine due to consumption of medicines like anticoagulants or blood thinners and no other cause is detected, then stopping the consumption of such medicines can cure the hematoma.
- If the condition is diagnosed to be caused by an infection in the urinary tract, then your physician will prescribe you antibiotics to end the infection.
- If kidney stones are detected to be the cause of the condition, then shock wave therapy or surgery can be performed by your physician to clear the stones that will cure the condition also.
- If enlarged prostate is the cause, then it is treated to reduce the swelling and clear off hematuria.
- If you are a regular smoker, there are constant chances to develop cancer of the bladder. Bladder cancer can result in hematuria. It is better to avoid smoking to prevent hematuria.
- In gout cases, diet management and medicines are given to control gout and its affection on the kidney.
- In cases of cancer, radiotherapy or other treatment options are performed to cure cancer and hematoma caused by cancerous growth.
- Hematuria is a condition characterized by the presence of red blood cells in the urine. It is not a serious condition in every case. But it may signal towards a serious disease in some cases. It affects both young and old people.
Hematuria is of two types, gross or microscopic hematuria:
Gross Hematuria– when blood is visible in urine by naked eyes, then this condition is known as gross hematuria.
Microscopic Hematuria– when red blood cells are seen only under a microscope, it is called microscopic hematuria. It is detected by urine tests in a routine checkup.
The main symptom of hematoma is pink, red or brown colored urine. It is usually without any other symptom. But in certain cases, it may be present with burning during urination and pain in the lower abdomen or during urination. Other symptoms are fever, swelling, etc. These symptoms are dependent on the underlying causes.
Hematuria is marked by the presence of blood cells in the blood. It does not have symptoms until its causes exhibit their symptoms along with hematuria. In most of the cases, it gets cured by itself. Hematuria is cured by the treatment of the underlying cause.