Nighttime or urinary incontinence refers to the condition when an individual fails to prevent urine to leak out. This situation takes place because of various stress factors, like for instance sneezing and coughing.(1)
How Long Will It Take To Recover From Nighttime Incontinence & How Long Does the Symptoms Last?
- The lasting of nighttime incontinence symptoms depend on the treatment options.
- Doctors often prescribe certain medicines, suitable medical equipment, and a bulking agent to help in the treatment of urinary incontinence.
Your doctor may prescribe you, among the following use to deal with urgency incontinence in the form of a patch, pill or liquid for relaxing your bladder.
- Tolterodine and oxybutynin or any other similar type of antimuscarinics
- Beta-3 adrenergic receptor stimulators
- Beta-3 agonists
- Tricyclic antidepressants
Besides this, doctors recommend for the use of Botox or botulinum toxin injection to treat the problem of urinary incontinence.
Medicines For Men
If a man suffers from urinary incontinence because of his enlarged prostate, doctors prescribe additional medicines with antimuscarinics. These are-
- 5-alpha reductase inhibitors
Both women and men suffering from overflow incontinence require using a catheter for emptying the urinary bladder. Your doctor may teach the way to use any catheter. You have to use it for once in a while, a few times in one day or round the clock. Catheters drain urine from the urinary bladder in a bag attached to your thighs by using a strap.
Alternatively, in the case of women, doctors recommend a soft and plastic ring i.e. pessary to deal with stress incontinence to insert within the vagina. Pessary presses against the vaginal wall and the surrounding urethra. As the pressure holds the urethra properly, you deal with a relatively less amount of leakage.
Other than this, doctors recommend for tampon-like disposable equipment to treat with the problem of stress-based urinary incontinence. You may insert the product in your vagina for a maximum 12 hours. The product thus expands for pushing up against the urethra for reducing the leakage problem.
In each of the aforementioned cases (medicines and medical devices), both men and women overcome their symptoms and the urine incontinence problems within 4 to 5 days.
If you do not have any improvement with the aforementioned medicines, your doctor may inject a bulking paste or get near the urinary sphincter for treating the problem of stress incontinence. The injected material thus bulks the area surrounding your urethra and helps you to close the opening of your bladder to make sure that you experience leakage in relatively fewer amounts.
Electrical Nerve Stimulation
Your doctor recommends for electrical nerve stimulation to deal with urgency incontinence and other related symptoms. Electrical nerve stimulation consists of changing the reflexes of the urinary bladder by using various pulses of electrical supply.(3)
Recovery with bulking agents and/or electrical nerve stimulation takes place within only 1 week.
Symptoms And Types of Nighttime Incontinence
Unintentional leakage or release of urine is the prime symptom associated with the problem of nighttime incontinence. However, the situation, at which this takes place, depends mainly on the specific type of urinary incontinence. Accordingly-
- Stress incontinence, in which leakage of urine takes place while a person laughs, coughs or involves in any other physical activity, like jumping or running
- Urge incontinence, which implies an intense and sudden urge towards urinate and urine leakage thus takes place simultaneously or just after a while
- Overflow incontinence i.e. inability of the urinary bladder to empty completely, which leads to leakage problems
- Total incontinence, in which the urinary bladder fails to store urine
- Functional incontinence, in which urine escapes as a person fails to reach or find the nearby bathroom within time
- Mixed incontinence, which involves a combination of each of the aforementioned urine incontinence problems(2)
To conclude, we should say that the period, up to which symptoms related to urine incontinence last and the recovery period depend primarily on treatment options available to cure patients.
- Nighttime Incontinence or Nighttime Bed Wetting: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Alternative Treatment, Lifestyle Changes
- Coping Methods For Night-Time Incontinence
- What Are The First Symptoms Of Night-Time Incontinence & How Do You Test For It?
- What Leads To Night-Time Incontinence & Can It Be Cured?
- How Do I Manage Nighttime Incontinence?
- Can Night-Time Incontinence Go Away On Its Own & What Are It’s Natural Remedies?
- Is Nighttime Incontinence A Serious Condition & Can It Be Reversed?