It is a common situation to feel pain in the inner edge of the shinbone (tibia) after physical activities. People often feel pain in the shinbone when they start any exercise regimen or fitness program which involves running or sports activities.
Does Epsom Salt Help Shin Splints?
Epsom salt is a simple and effective procedure to relieve shin splints. It is a cost-effective procedure which can be performed at home without any medical supervision. Give a fresh start to a healthy life and alleviate the pain of shin splints by Epsom salt and following a standard exercise regimen.
Shin splints1 can be reduced by simple home remedies such as taking rest, applying ice to the affected area and stretching of the muscles. The other simple and easy method is the use of Epsom salt. There are many theories which indicate Epsom salt reaches the shin by Osmosis. Epsom can be used as Epsom salt bath in warm water, Epson salt cream or Epson salt compress.
Epsom salt is useful in many health conditions such as:
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
- Improve blood circulation
Epsom salt is composed of magnesium and sulfate. In water, Epsom salt gets dissolved and the magnesium is released which helps in reducing pain by soothing and relaxing the sore muscles. This significantly reduces pain and inflammation. United States Pharmacopoeia grade Epsom salt is recommended for therapeutic purpose.
In case of severe pain follow both Epsom salt baths followed by ice treatment.
Procedure For Epsom Salt Bath:
- Fill the bathtub or wash basin with warm water
- The depth of the bathtub or wash basin should allow soaking of legs in the water
- The water should be warm neither cold or too hot to get the optimum benefits
- Now add half-cup to two cups of Epsom salt in the bathtub, let the salt get dissolved completely in the water
- You can also add products such as peppermint oil or cinnamon bark which can help in alleviating pain and gives a pleasant aroma
- Soak your legs in the Epsom salt water for about 15 minutes
- Dry your legs thoroughly before coming out from the bathtub to avoid slipping
Epsom Salt Compress:
- Take about 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt in a cup and dissolve it completely.
- Take a clean cotton washcloth and soak the cotton cloth in the above Epsom salt mixture.
- Apply the compress on the sore muscles.
Epsom Salt Cream:
- Take about 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt in a cup
- Add small amounts of warm water and dissolve Epsom salt completely till it gets a nice paste consistency
- Cool the paste by keeping it inside the refrigerator not the freezer
- Wash the shin splints with water
- Make sure there are no cuts or bruises on the shin area where you apply Epsom salt cream.
Shin Splints Causes2
Shin splints are also referred to as medial tibial stress syndrome3. Exercise and overstretch results in excessive force on muscles, tendons and bones in the inner area of the shin resulting in pain and discomfort. The muscles which are attached to the bone are most affected resulting in pain while at rest and movement.
Preventive Measures for Shin Splints4
- It is a good advice to warm-up and stretches muscles before exercise. The exercise should be gradually increased and should not be performed vigorously from day one. Take rest for a day or two to reduce pain and apply a cold pack. When you are back to exercise regimen start with low intensity and gradually increase the intensity over days.
- The occurrence of shin splints can be reduced and or controlled by exercising in a defined schedule and not over exercising with increased intensity.
- In cases where there is no improvement with non-surgical measures, surgery is performed.
- Shin Splints – Shinbone Pain & Treatment Brace
- How Do You Get Rid Of Shin Splints Forever?
- Natural Remedies For Shin Splints
- Should I Go To The Doctor For Shin Splints?
- What Are Medial Shin Splints?
- Can You Still Run With Shin Splints?
- What Are Anterior Shin Splints?