What is the Ideal Duration of Yoga Session?
You’ll come across a very few regulation when it comes to yoga practice. The yoga session can last from as short as 20 minutes to as long as 2 hours or may be more depending on what all does the yoga session comprises of and what is the purpose of the yoga session? Or how do participants want to benefit from the session.
- There are some basic components which are included in every yoga class like finding inner peace at first to start practicing yoga, warming up, stretching and then practicing advanced postures.
- Usually a typical yoga session for beginners may last from one hour to an hour and a half, but that is also dependent on the purpose of class, class level, type of class, preferences of the teacher, purpose of the participants from the class, and any other expected outcomes from the class.
- Duration may be longer or shorter depending on where you are practicing. The classes are typically shorter if you are practicing at a yoga studio and yoga session are longer if you’re going for yoga retreats and may be even shorter if the practice is being done with the help of videos.
- It is recommended to practice yoga thrice a week for 1-1.5 hour but practicing a little yoga for 20 minutes daily is more beneficial than practicing yoga twice or thrice a week.
- A 20 minutes daily yoga practice can include – sitting ideal and focusing to eye center to prepare for the yoga practice, warming up for another 5 minutes, practicing asanas for flexibility or any purpose specific asanas or any advanced yogasanas in rest of the time.
Phases of Yoga Session
All Yoga sessions comprises of three main phases:
Purva anga, Pradhan anga and Uttara anga.
Purva anga is preparation or the preparatory phase. Pradhan anga is the middle or central phase of yoga session and Pradhan anga is the conclusive phase.
The yoga sessions are usually started with a yogic prayer which means taking blessings from the almighty for initiating the practice since Yoga does not just mean getting physically fit, it also invokes an individual spiritually.
A few simpler yoga asanas to warm up the body are performed after the yogic prayer. The simpler yoga asanas the followed by tough and complex asanas.
The conclusive asanas are usually breathing exercises and meditation etc.
Duration of Short Yoga Sessions
- As discussed above, a short Yoga Session can be finished in 20 minutes. A short session can be as short as a 5 minute session as well where in you can finish with the breathing asana or any required asanas for some specific purpose.
- Ideally a class of around 45 minutes to 1 hour can cover everything including warm up, stretching and cool down.
Duration of Long Yoga Sessions
- Long yoga sessions can be as long as 2 hours or may be even more. But long classes doesn’t necessarily make you more flexible. You might be practicing yoga for long hours and may not do headstands.
- Longer Yoga sessions require more stamina and you need to stay more hydrated to go through longer sessions.
Or if you’re practicing yoga at home, you can make a brief yoga session for yourself comprising of a little warm up yoga asanas and then a few complex yoga asanas depending upon your purpose of doing yoga and then few cool down asanas or may be a little time for meditation as well.