Technique to Do Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga Pose & Its Benefits
About Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga Pose:
Vajrasana gets its name from Sanskrit where "Vajra" means "Thunderbolt" or "Diamond" and "Asana" means "Pose" or "Posture" and hence the name Thunderbolt Yoga Pose.
It is also called Adamantine pose. It is said that after doing this pose the body becomes as strong as diamond.
Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose is said to be a one pose to solve all your tummy troubles. It is one of the easiest asanas to perform as it stimulates the Vajra nadi which improves digestion. It helps relieve constipation and strengthens the lower back, legs and thighs.
Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose should be practiced for 10-15 minutes immediately after eating to promote digestion. It is also a preparatory pose for other advanced asanas.
Technique for Practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga Pose
- The first step to practice Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose is to sit with your legs outstretched on the floor or on the yoga mat.
- Kneel down while bending your lower legs backwards in such a way that they are kept together and the big toes of both the feet are crossing each other.
- To practice Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose, gently lower your body on the lower legs in such a way that the thighs are resting on your calves.
- Keep your hands on your knees and set your gaze on a point and look forward while keeping your head and neck straight.
- Maintain your breath while practicing Vajrasana. You should inhale and exhale deeply while sitting in this position.
- Close your eyes while breathing and focus on the eye center and try to calm your mind.
- Beginners should try to stay in this position for 5-10 minutes or until your legs and feet start feeling discomfort.
- Advanced practitioners should stay in Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose for 15-20 minutes or for as long as you can.
Benefits of Practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga Pose
- One of the main benefits of practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose is that it helps in strengthening the Digestive system as its regular practice helps in relieving constipation and other stomach disorders. While practicing Vajrasana the blood flow is obstructed to the lower part of the body and the blood flow is increased in the stomach and pelvic area which promotes the bowel movement and hence improves digestion.
- Regular practice of Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose helps in getting rid of Acidity.
- Vajrasana practice aids liver function.
- Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose helps ease the labor pains and reduce the menstrual cramps.
- This asana helps in strengthening the lower back and pelvic area thereby reducing problems of the lower back and spine like Sciatica.
- Regular practice of Vajrasana calms the mind, relaxes the nervous system and the whole body. It is one of best meditative asanas as well.
- Reduction in belly fat will be noticed with regular practice of Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose.
- Vajrasana strengthens the reproductive organs as well.
- It is also considered a magical pose for people suffering from Arthritis as it helps in relieving the pain.
- It also helps in the treatment of varicose veins.
- Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose helps in the treatment of Urinary problems as well.
Precautions to Be Taken While Practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga Pose
Vajrasana is a very easy and safe asana to practice. However, there are a few contraindications while practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose:
- For people who have had any knee injuries, ankle injuries or have undergone any knee surgeries recently should not practice Vajrasana.
- Pregnant females should keep their knees and legs away from each other while practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose to prevent putting excess pressure on the abdomen.
- People suffering from hernia and intestinal ulcers or any ailments related to the intestines should practice Vajrasana under the guidance of a trained yoga instructor.
- People who have any spinal injuries like slip disc and any problems associated to the spinal column should not practice Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose.
Tips While Practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga Pose
- Always perform Yogasanas in the range of your abilities and limitations. Go as far as your body allows. Do not overexert yourself while practicing.
- While practicing initially, you might feel a stinging pain in your feet and legs. But do not give up. Sit for at least 2 minutes in Vajrasana if you are a beginner. It is possible to sit for as long as thirty minutes to sit in Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose with regular practice.
- Though most of the yogasanas are supposed to be done empty stomach but the best time to practice Vajrasana is after your meals as it promotes digestion. However, it can be practiced at any time of the day.
- If you feel excessive pain while practicing Vajrasana or Thunderbolt Yoga pose, leave the pose and stretch the legs on the yoga mat or on the floor.
- For maximum benefits, the breath should be kept deep and long. Many people tend to breathe faster while practicing this asana which might hinder calming the mind and relaxing the body.
- The body should not be tensed while bending the legs. Instead, the body should be loosened to promote relaxation.