If a person has frequent headaches then it can said with certainty that the person knows about what is causing the headaches and what triggers it, which can be any of the following that is stress, sleep problems, improper diet, allergy, sinus issues or strain to eyes, but there is one more aspect which many people do not think about which is the posture of a person, and oxygen deficiency that bring on a headache.
Many people have rounded shoulders with head jutted in a forward direction when sitting or standing. Poor posture has an adverse affect on respiratory system and blood circulation to brain causing muscle tension and hence headaches.
If a person has tension headaches, then yoga might be the answer. Yoga goes a long way in treating tension headaches by way of relaxing muscles in head, back, neck. It bolsters circulation to brain and upper part of body, and improves posture. The best time to treat a headache is when there is a slight sign of it and before muscles start spasming.
5 Yoga Poses For Treating Headaches
To treat or reduce headaches, the yoga poses described below can be inculcated into daily exercise regimen.
Yoga Pose #1 For Treating Headache: Simple Seated Twist Pose for Treating Headaches
Simple seated twist yoga pose improves your posture and spine mobility and is also beneficial in getting rid of headache, easing backaches and improving the upper body flexibility along with stretching the shoulders, hips, and neck.
To Do Simple Seated Twist Yoga Pose You Can Do The Following:
- Sit straight in edge of chair and place your feet firmly on the floor.
- Cross right leg on top of left at knee.
- Take right arm to back of chair and left hand to right knee.
- Turn from stomach to right while exhaling.
- Keep shoulders downward and chest open.
- Hold this position for a couple of seconds and take deep breaths.
- Return to original position and do the same for the other side.
Simple seated twist yoga pose can also be done by sitting on the floor.
- Sit on floor with your legs extended. Next, bend your right knee and cross over your right foot on the outer side of your left knee or thigh is possible. Place the left hand on the right knee and right hand behind your back. Keep your back straight and twist your upper body including your waist, shoulders and neck in this sequence to the right and look over your right shoulder. Hold this position for a couple of seconds and repeat it on the other side.
Yoga Pose #2 For Treating Headache: Grabbing Opposite Elbow Behind Your Back Yoga Pose for Treating Headaches
To Grab Opposite Elbow Behind Your Back, You Can Do The Following:
- Stand with feet firmly placed on floor and slightly apart from each other.
- Clasp elbows behind back.
- If you are slightly more flexible, place palms together behind back with fingers pointing upwards.
- Relax eyes and jaws.
- Hold this position for about 10 seconds and take deep breaths.
- Come back to original position.
Yoga Pose #3 For Treating Headache: Gomukhasana Yoga Pose for Treating Headaches
Gomukhasana yoga pose stretches your arms and shoulder and helps release tension in your shoulders. It helps get rid of rounded shoulders and improves your postures and opens your chest, facilitating improved breathing and relieving headaches.
To Do Gomukhasana Yoga Pose You Can Do The Following:
- Stand with feet firmly placed on floor but slightly apart from each other.
- Lift right arm and bend your right elbow such that your right palm touches your upper back in between the shoulder blades.
- Bring left arm behind back such that your left elbow is pointing towards the ground and try to clasp your right hand fingers with your left hand fingers.
- If your shoulders are tight, yoga belt can be used for this.
- Maintain this position for a couple of seconds taking deep breaths.
- Come back to original position and repeat it on the other side.
Yoga Pose #4 For Treating Headache: Garudasana (Arms Only) Yoga Pose for Treating Headaches
Garudasana (arms only) yoga pose is beneficial in stretching your spine, improving your posture. Better posture means lesser stress on your upper and lower back including neck and this helps in treating headaches.
To Do This Pose You Can:
- Extend the arms to the sides.
- Cross the right arm over the left, elbow over the elbow and point the left thumb towards your face
- Move the right arm forward and then turn to the right and try to bring the palms together as shown in the image.
- Try to stretch the arms up.
- Relax eyes, jaws, and shoulders.
- Maintain like this for about 10 seconds taking deep breaths.
- Come back to neutral and do the same thing with the opposite hand.
Yoga Pose #5 For Treating Headache: Yoga Side Stretches Exercise for Treating Headaches
This is a simple seated yoga exercise to stretch your back, hips and improve your overall posture. To do this exercise you can:
- Sit on edge of chair with feet apart.
- Place the feet firm on floor.
- Lift arms near the head.
- Grab the left wrist using right hand.
- While exhaling, slowly stretch to right side while pulling the left arm and wrist with right hand.
- Press bodyweight to left buttock.
- Hold this position for about 10 seconds taking deep breaths.
- Return to neutral and do the same thing for the other side.