“Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are!” We are known to the wonders of yoga. Can yoga poses help you grow tall? Let us know about them in this article.
10 Yoga Poses That Can Help You Grow Tall
It is true that we are all born with a genetic potential for our height; however the environment also plays its role. Some of the factors involved in increasing height include the genes for growth hormones, bone proportion, growth hormone receptors, and the timing of the release of the growth hormones. Even several growth factors come in to the play here. Nutrition during gestation and growth years also significantly contributes to the height growth of a child.
However, with all these factors and possible influences, exercises and particularly yoga poses too can help you grow taller. The main reason is the stretching and strengthening of musculoskeletal system that promotes bone growth in children, in addition to the stimulation of hormones needed for their growth and development.
Yoga is a way of life but can also be performed to achieve specific benefits. Hence, knowing about the yoga poses that help you grow taller is important. Apart from yoga poses, Pranayama or a deep controlled breathing technique in yoga is truly beneficial. It helps in relaxing the human mind, keeps it stress free and thus aids in enhancing the production of HGH or human growth hormone. With regular practice, it can help in stimulating this hormone in kids and is one of the popular yoga exercises that promote growing tall.
Here are some of the 10 most effective yoga poses that can help you grow tall.
Surya Namaskara or Sun Salutation:
Surya namaskara or also known as sun salutation is one of the most beneficial yoga poses for mankind having tremendous benefits. One of the most known benefits of surya namaskara or sun salutation is it helps in growing your height when done appropriately and regularly. There are twelve different postures involved in surya namaskara which are preferably done in the morning with the sun rise.
- In order to do this, at first stand on the floor by joining your feet and face the sun.
- Join your palms and do a namaskar.
- Next, breathe in when raising the arms up and bend backwards. Stretch the arms as much as possible.
- Then, breathe out as and when you bend in front of you to touch the floor.
- Ensure to keep the hands in alignment with the feet and bend such that the head touches the knees.
- Now, breathe in and move the right leg backwards and slowly raise the head.
- Then, bring the head to the starting position.
- The left leg needs to be parallel to the right and the toes should be planted to the ground. The arms should be at 90 degrees to the floor. Now breathe out.
- Then, breathe in and bring the knees down to touch the ground, and raise the hips a little bit, resting the chest and chin on the floor. Raise your posterior just a little bit.
- Now breathe out. Lower the body to the floor to touch the ground with the feet, knees, chest, palms and forehead.
- Breathe in and raise the head backwards. Now try and stretch the head as far as possible.
- Now, push up and only rest the feet and palm on the floor.
- Bend the left leg at the knee.
- Get the feet together and come back to the original namaskar position.
Sukhasana or Easy Pose:
This is one of the easiest yoga poses that can help you grow tall. This is in fact the basic posture of yoga from which begins all other yoga poses. By performing this regularly one can tone up low back and the hip portion and eventually grow tall.
- For doing this yoga pose, you have to sit on the floor cross-legged.
- Keep the hands on knees,
- Make sure that the spine is aligned appropriately and keep it straight while you are sitting.
- Focus on your breathing.
- Now push the buttocks to the ground and lower the knees slowly.
- Here, take a few breaths. Breathe in while raising the arms towards the ceiling and breathe out when lowering them.
- Repeat this about 10 times.
Hastapadasan or Hand to Foot Pose:
Hastapadasan or hand to foot pose is a beneficial yoga pose that can help you grow tall. Here all the parts of the body are focused while doing the yogasana.
- At first stand straight joining your feet and placing your arms alongside your body.
- Keep your weight balanced on both your feet.
- Breathe in and extend your arms overhead at first and then breathe out and bend forward and down towards your feet.
- Maintain this posture for few second and continue your deep breaths.
- Make sure that you are keeping your legs and your spine erect, hands rested on the floor and beside the feet or on the legs.
- Move your chest towards the knees while breathing out.
- Raise your hips and tailbone, relax your head, press your heels and gently move your head towards your feet while continuing breathing.
- Bring your arms to the side while breathing out.
Chakrasana or Wheel Pose:
Chakrasana or wheel pose can also help you to grow tall. The yoga pose involves bending over either in a forward or backward direction which helps you improve the elasticity of the spinal cord and the body become greatly flexible. These in turn aids you to improve height.
- For doing this, lie on your back at first.
- Then bend your legs on your knees. Place the legs nearer to your hips
- Now, bending your elbows, put your palms on the sides of your head.
- Then raise your body upwards, taking a deep breath.
- Arch your spine while resting on the feet and the palms.
- Be in this posture for few seconds and gradually increase the duration with normal breathing.
Vrikshasana or Tree Pose:
Vrikshasana or the tree pose is yet another effective yoga pose that can help you grow tall. Usually this yoga pose focuses on the calf muscles and the leg muscles and aids in toughening them. With the strengthening of these muscles, there are chances of developing your height.
- In order to do this yogasana, stand straight with your spine erect and feet joined together.
- Stand in a Namaste position, stretched over your head.
- Then, lift your right leg bent at your knees. Make sure that the sole of your right feet is placed on the inner thigh of your left leg. Here, your right leg knees should face outwards.
- Inhale normally.
- Then repeat the pose with the left leg.
Tadasana or Mountain Pose:
One of the easiest poses in yoga is Tadasana which can be practiced regularly to grow tall. It has been known that this yoga pose can make the limbs and the spinal cord stronger. Apart from this, it is also known that Tadasana or mountain pose also aids in making the whole body agile; which is highly essential in growing you tall.
- Stand straight to begin the pose and keep your feet joined to each other.
- Make sure your spine is erect with your arms by the side.
- Now, join the hands and fingers.
- Now breathe deeply. Ensure that while breathing in, try and extend the spine and stretch the hands above the head.
- Let the palms face upwards.
- Now, lift the heels and try and stand on the toes completely balanced
- Ensure that the entire body gets stretched.
- Maintain this position for 5 seconds and then breathe out.
- Return back to the starting position while exhaling
Adhomukha Svanasan or Downward Facing Dog Pose:
This is another effective yoga pose that can help you grow tall. It helps you stretching out the muscles, making them stronger and also aids in enhancing the blood circulation throughout the body and thus contributing to height improvement.
- Here, with the help of your hands and knees you have to stay on the ground.
- While doing the pose, place your legs under your hips and arms placed under your shoulders.
- Firmly grip with the palms facing the ground and spreading out your fingers.
- Now, with a deep breathing squeeze your stomach.
- Lift your knees from the ground. With this, your tailbone starts rising up automatically.
- Support yourself with your palms and toes.
- Then, stretch your spine and legs in a way that your body takes an inverted V-shape.
- Be in this position for five breaths and relax.
Trikonasana or Triangle Pose:
Trikonasana or Triangle pose is a yoga pose where the body gets a triangular form while performing the yoga move. It can help you grow tall in addition to giving a strong and flexible body.
- For doing this yoga pose, stand with the legs a couple of feet apart. Be sure that both feet are parallel.
- Now raise the hands making sure that the hands are in line with the shoulders.
- Next; bend towards the right.
- With the right hand’s fingers, touch the toes of the right leg.
- Raise the left hand towards the ceiling and look towards the left hand.
- Stay in this position for 60 seconds.
- Repeat the same on other side.
- Do deep breathing for a few seconds while performing this.
Parivratta Trikonasan or Reversed Triangle Pose:
This is just the reverse of the triangle pose in which your body forms an inverted triangle shape. This pose can also help you grow tall as it provides strength to the lower back and also improves the balancing capacity of the body.
- To begin with the pose, stand the legs stretched at the sides.
- Raise both the hands such that they are in alignment with the shoulders.
- Now turn the torso to the right and touch the right foot using the left hand. Here the right hand should face towards the ceiling and fingers must be pointing outward.
- Look at the fingertips. Be in this posture for half a minute.
- Then, put the arms aligned with the shoulder.
- Follow the same process for the other side.
Marjaryasana or Cat Pose:
One more yoga pose which can help you grow tall is the Marjaryasana or cat pose. By doing this, your spinal cord gets extended in both, forward and the backward direction. It also facilitates the expansion of every single disc cartilage in the spinal column and in turn aids in improving height.
- To start with the pose, bend on all fours with legs spread to the width of the hip.
- The hands should in front of the shoulders and knees.
- Inhale and lift the pelvis up.
- Arch the spine with the stomach touching the spine and heads facing the sky.
- Fully stretch the body and convert to cat pose by arching the spine in reverse order.
- Ensure that the pelvis is down with the chest and stomach in while doing this asana.
- Repeat this several times.
So, above we mentioned some of the yoga poses that can help you grow taller. These are best practiced under an expert’s guidance. Practice the yoga asanas regularly and look for the benefits by self.