Yoga helps to promote a balanced development of mental, physical being of an individual. Moreover, it also helps to calm the mind, as it focuses on spiritual development unlike other forms of physical exercise like aerobics, which ensures only the physical well-being of an individual.
Is Yoga For Weight Loss a Bad Thing?
Today, people are getting more and more conscious about their expanding waistlines which are a result of unhealthy lifestyle. Now in such a situation, they are looking for a weight loss technique which doesn’t involve a whole set of exercises and at the same time has no side-effects. Yoga is perceived as an amazing way to lose weight without sweating much. It helps greatly to burn calories, thereby helping you to get back in shape.
Yoga pacifies your mind which in turn helps you to lose your fat up to a certain extent. We are well aware of the fact that stress contributes to poor diet. When we are stressed about a certain matter, we hardly look out for the food we eat which contributes adversely to our weight. Yoga produces a peacefully calm environment which provides tranquillity to the mind and helps us to get rid of the stress. Not only does it help to decrease the stress, but it also helps to reduce cortisol level, which is also responsible for weight gain.
Yoga for Weight Loss
Yoga has some basic breathing exercises which balance, purify and rejuvenate your inner organs and increases their functionality. It is practiced through the various Asanas, which are specific yoga postures which help in attaining mental and physical relaxation. They also create awareness in the body, both externally and internally. The various asanas are to be repeated on both the sides of the body in order to build functionality and strength equally in the body. Here are a few Yoga Postures/Asanas, which will help you lose weight naturally:
This is one of the most famous and widely practiced yoga postures. Surya Namaskar basically means offering salutation to the Sun. It is inclusive of a series of twelve distinctive asanas, which mainly focuses on reducing fat from various parts of the body. It is renowned for being comprised of twelve different postures encompassed in one. As per the experts, it is one of the best yoga asanas to rejuvenate the whole body. It helps to keep the entire body active as it focuses on exercising of various parts of the body. It helps to strengthen the skeletal system including the ligaments and the tendons. Surya Namaskar is an excellent method of easing the anxiety and stress, which builds in our body.
The Warrior Pose (Virabhadrasana)
Come into mountain pose followed by stretching your one leg backward and lunging your other leg making a ninety-degree angle.
- Then slowly stretch your hands above your head.
- Once you get comfortable with this pose, you can try out Virbhadrasana II or the warrior pose 2.
- In the second pose, you need to stretch your arms forward in order to bring it in front of your chest.
- Then slowly straighten your stretched leg and point it outwards while keeping the other leg intact at the angle of ninety degrees.
- Now stretch both your arms outwards, wide apart.
- Hold each of the two poses for at least thirty seconds and then repeat the entire asana.
- The warrior pose increases the blood circulation in your legs, thighs, arms and spine region.
The Triangle Pose (Trikonasana)
- First of all, stretch your legs wide. Extend your right foot outwards.
- Now, stretch your arms out slowly.
- Push the right side of the waistline towards your outstretched right leg and then go down slowly.
- Keep your back straight. Do not bend your back forward.
- Your right palm should be kept on the ground or a block. You may keep the palm in front of or behind the right foot.
- Stretch your left arm upwards.
- Now repeat this posture on the other side of your body.
- This asana helps to reduce the fat on the sides of your body, your arms and thighs.
Upward Plank (Purvottanasana)
- This one is a difficult pose. However, nothing is impossible with a little practice and the correct technique.
- Stretch your legs in front of you and sit in that position.
- Position your arms behind the hips while pointing them towards the feet.
- Now prepare the body to rise up by pointing the feet.
- Raise the body slowly from your tailbone and also try to pull the head back.
This posture is the opposite of the posture you attain before attempting a push up. This asana mainly helps in removing the fat from your back, shoulders and the spine region. It also helps to fortify the muscles in the body. It helps to increase the blood circulation in all parts of your body and also enhances your respiratory system. It is an amazing asana for your body’s core strength.
The Bridge Pose
- Lie down flat on your back.
- Now with your hands stretched outwards, slowly fold your knees and spread them outwards.
- After that, raise your body slowly from the pelvic region. Use your hands as support and then hold this position.
- This pose has amazing fat burning effects on the thighs, hips, stomach and back region.
This asana is considered as one of the best yoga postures for losing the fat stored in the hip region. Nowadays, a majority of people tend to spend more than ten hours of the day sitting in front of their televisions, laptops, and smart phones which eventually leads to the accumulation of fat in the hip region. Not only does this asana help to lessen the fat in the hip region, but it also helps to increase the flexibility of the splits.
- Raise your arms and slowly tilt them back till you reach your back and then your hips. Then bring your arms back to your sides.
- Again raise your arms and now bring it your lower back.
- Now place your knees at an angle of ninety degree. Then try touching your knees without bending your back.
- Hold each posture for around thirty seconds.
The Boat Pose (Paripurna Navasana)
- Start by lying down on back and as per its name indicates, this asana requires you to attain a V-shaped position that would resemble a boat.
- Pull your legs upwards in order to maintain the V shape.
- Try to hold this position for at least ten seconds the first time you attempt this. Slowly, with daily practice raise the time bar.
- It might be felt that the muscles of the stomach stretched hard but this will surely reduce your belly fat. It also stretches your neck, chest, spine and hips and provides strength to your buttocks, back and hamstrings.
It is recommended to learn all the asana’s under the supervision of a yoga instructor. Practice these yoga asanas for weight loss and you will definitely be happy with the results.
- What is Yoga? Its Benefits on Bones, Muscles, Joints, Mental Health, Cardiovascular System
- Benefits of Pranayama Yoga or Breathing Exercise & Its Different Styles
- Pilates vs. Yoga: Is Pilates More Beneficial Than Yoga? Comparison, Benefits
- Yoga Exercises for Back Pain Relief
- 9 Best Yoga Asanas for Arthritis- Sun Salutation, Hero, Tree, Bridge, Cow Face
- Yoga for Fibromyalgia: 4 Best Asanas To Relieve Painful Tender Points
- Yoga for Athletes: 5 Best Poses- Triangle, Downward Dog, Cat Cow, Chair, Eagle Pose