Acid Reflux During Pregnancy: Home Remedies and Lifestyle Changes
Acid reflux or Heartburn is a phenomenon that occurs when acid in the stomach comes back up into the esophagus. It is a common event during pregnancy period because the main hormone progesterone slows the digestive system. Additional pressure of a growing infant increases that possibility. Common symptoms of acid reflux or heartburn are a burning sensation in the upper chest area or the throat. Burping, feeling nausea and regurgitation may also be acid reflux signs. It doesn't affect the baby in any way.
Home Remedies For Heartburn Or Acid Reflux During Pregnancy
Here are mentioned some of the natural ways to treat acid reflux or heartburn during pregnancy that are worth a try:
- Fresh Pineapple- Pineapple contains enzymes and bromelain that help in maintaining the acid levels in the stomach which reduces inflammation.
- Coconut Water- Coconut water brings quick and soothing relief as it naturally contains acid neutralizers.
- Yogurt- The probiotics present in yogurt helps to neutralize the acid in the Esophagus.
- Ginger- Ginger aids naturally in combating problems related to the gastrointestinal tract. Take ginger tea.
- Papaya- Taking chewable papaya enzymes after a meal helps digestive system in breaking down the food.
- Aloe Vera- The enzymes present in aloe vera help in neutralizing stomach acid and presence of other nutrients reduce irritation and inflammation caused due to acid.
- Almonds- Consume a handful of almonds when the feeling of heartburn starts to come on. They can help in getting rid of heartburn due to the high amount of oil content which helps in soothing and neutralizing stomach acid.
- Slippery Elm- Taking slippery elm during pregnancy period is safe and may help to relieve heartburn by coating the stomach and esophagus.
- Fennel Seeds- Put 2 teaspoon of fennel seeds into a cup of boiling water. Boil it till it becomes concentrated.
- Chewing Gum- Several studies have shown that it works to prevent heartburn because it forces fluids back to the stomach.
Lifestyle Changes To Prevent Acid Reflux During Pregnancy
Bringing changes in the lifestyle habits can work wonders for cases of heartburn and they are the safest methods for both baby and mother. Mentioned below are some of the steps that can be inculcated in daily life during pregnancy period:
- Break the intake of meals into smaller quantities and frequent durations. Eat leisurely and chew the food thoroughly. Drink water after each meal.
- Don't take food before 3 hours of going to bed.
- Avoid taking those beverages and foods that catalyzes heartburn.
- Don't sleep immediately after a meal and try to stay upright for an hour at least .A brisk walk may encourage digestion.
- It is always advisable to wear comfortable clothes instead of tight fits so that undue pressure is not created on the stomach.
- Try to maintain healthy weight.
- Keep the head slightly at an elevated position while sleeping. Pillows that are Wedge-shaped help to slant the upper body in upward direction and thus helping in keeping the stomach acid in its original position.
- Avoid sleeping on the right side as it will position the stomach higher than the esophagus as it may lead to acid reflux.
- Drink one glass full of milk added with some honey or a honey added chamomile tea once the acid reflux symptoms start.
So follow these remedies and avoid acid reflux during pregnancy.
- Honey is an Excellent Home Remedy for Acid Reflux
- What Causes or Triggers an Acid Reflux?
- How to Avoid Acid Reflux During Holiday?
- How Long Does Acid Reflux Last & What are its Effects?
- Can Acid Reflux Cause Sore Throat?
- Soothing Foods for Acid Reflux|Natural Foods to Prevent Acid Reflux
- Diagnosis of Acid Reflux Disease & the Best Test for Diagnosing Acid Reflux Disease